• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tried some SD ammo today...

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Took the 1915 M15 Mauser, my regular carry piece, and tried some SD ammo out of it. I had a box of PPU 71gr. JHPs running at 905fps and 129ft/lbs, and I also found 3 old similar Hornadys. The Hornadys had a similar configuration and weight, but were shorter. The Hornady is the round on the left.

Beautiful sunny day, a cool 62F and windy. Shot at 44 feet. One major jam when one of the Hornady's bullets wound up pushed into the case (from loading?) and stopped everything. PPU was flawless. I assume all things being equal with 71gr. FMJRN, literally, that the JHP round will be a better carry choice. Archaic old gun, but I'm very good with it.

t

Attachments

• IMG_5349.jpg
    IMG_5349.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5350.jpg
    IMG_5350.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 41
if you ever have to pull that out, I bet the typical bad guy will think its a toy!

Nice shooting. It truly was a nice day outside, I took the 91/30 out for the first time in 2018 and shot some of my light 110 gr reloads. Shot the Ruger M77 with about a half dollar size group at 100 yds as well. I've seen the Mausers up now and again, how do you find the ergonomics?

Back
Top Bottom