Traveling to Wyoming

StoneBear

NES Member
I will be traveling to WY and doing some fishing in the back-country this weekend. I would like to bring a sidearm for various reasons (peace of mind regarding the bears mostly), but the legal info I found online is a bit vague for my liking.

As I understand it, Wyoming does not recognize a Massachusetts LTC, however I also posses a NH, ME and Utah permit. I do see they honor those three states. Here's the question: Do I have to be a resident of the honored state to be covered in Wyoming or is a non-resident Utah, Maine or New Hampshire permit holder covered as well?

...Do I have to be a resident of the honored state to be covered in Wyoming or is a non-resident Utah, Maine or New Hampshire permit holder covered as well?

IANAL, but the WY statute stipulates that a permit from any State that "...recognizes Wyoming permits and is a valid statewide permit..." is acceptable...

WCC 6-8-104 said:
(a) A person who wears or carries a concealed deadly weapon is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not more than seven hundred fifty dollars ($750.00), imprisonment in the county jail for not more than six (6) months, or both for a first offense, or a felony punishable by a fine of not more than two thousand dollars ($2,000.00), imprisonment for not more than two (2) years, or both, for a second or subsequent offense, unless:

>snip<

(iii) The person holds a valid permit authorizing him to carry a concealed firearm authorized and issued by a governmental agency or entity in another state that recognizes Wyoming permits and is a valid statewide permit;

Since NH has a reciprocity agreement with WY, your NH permit should suffice.

Be aware that pursuant to the same statute, one cannot carry in the following locations...

WCC 6-8-104 said:
(t) No person authorized to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to paragraphs (a)(ii) through (iv) of this section shall carry a concealed firearm into:

(i) Any facility used primarily for law enforcement operations or administration without the written consent of the chief administrator;

(ii) Any detention facility, prison or jail;

(iii) Any courtroom, except that nothing in this section shall preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in the courtroom;

(iv) Any meeting of a governmental entity;

(v) Any meeting of the legislature or a committee thereof;

(vi) Any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms;

(vii) Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic liquor and malt beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose;

(viii) Any place where persons are assembled for public worship, without the written consent of the chief administrator of that place;

(ix) Any elementary or secondary school facility;

(x) Any college or university facility without the written consent of the security service of the college or university; or

(xi) Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law or regulation or state law.

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/statutes/statutes.aspx?file=titles/Title6/T6CH8.htm

Back
Top Bottom