• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Traveling to through new England and beyond

I live outside boston and frequently travel to West Virginia. I have both MA LTC and my Utah CCW (LTC) so I know I can legally drive my guns to WV but I am not sure about amo. Is anyone familler with the laws in any of these states?

I cross through the following states
MA
RI (I can avoid RI if need be)
CT
NY
NJ
PA
MD
WV

Any advice?

between MA and WV, your Utah CCW will not cover any states. it used to cover PA but no longer.

AFAIK, you'd be using FOPA to lawfully move your firearms between MA and WV.
google FOPA to see what it entails.

when I've relied on FOPA, I basically keep firearms in a locked trunk (i.e. inaccessible) and ammo stored separately and ideally also locked up. avoid getting pulled over for ANYTHING, so check your lights, plates, tires, etc before driving. and no speeding. also no overnight or long stops, just gas/food.

try to keep your route primarily in PA since it's a friendlier state. minimize your trip in CT/NY. google maps will want to take you into MD but avoid that crap stay in PA until you enter WV.

Once you're in WV you're fine.

others here will have more input too.

between MA and WV, your Utah CCW will not cover any states. it used to cover PA but no longer.

AFAIK, you'd be using FOPA to lawfully move your firearms between MA and WV.
google FOPA to see what it entails.

when I've relied on FOPA, I basically keep firearms in a locked trunk (i.e. inaccessible) and ammo stored separately and ideally also locked up. avoid getting pulled over for ANYTHING, so check your lights, plates, tires, etc before driving. and no speeding. also no overnight or long stops, just gas/food.

try to keep your route primarily in PA since it's a friendlier state. minimize your trip in CT/NY. google maps will want to take you into MD but avoid that crap stay in PA until you enter WV.

Once you're in WV you're fine.

others here will have more input too.

From what I have been told and read FOPA only covers the guns themselves not the amo. Have you heard this before?

pike to 84 thru ct and NY to Scranton PA to 81, thru Harrisburg. Take a right at Hagerstown on 40, to Morgan town in WV

stay the f*ck out of New Jersey. gun locked up under FOPA

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

"Safe Passage" provision
[icon] This section requires expansion with: examples and additional citations. (May 2011)

One of the law's provisions was that persons traveling from one place to another cannot be incarcerated for a firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gas), provided that the firearms and ammunition are not immediately accessible, that the firearms are unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, the firearms are located in a locked container.[11]

Under this provision, someone driving from Virginia to a competition in Vermont with a locked hard case containing an unloaded handgun and a box of ammunition in the trunk could not be prosecuted in New Jersey or New York City for illegal possession of a handgun provided that the individual did not stop in New Jersey or New York for an extended period of time.

See 18 USC § 926A http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

In PA you don't need a license to possess guns or ammunition. You do need a permit to carry concealed, however. Not sure what their laws are WRT open carry (if any).

So the consensus is gun yes and ammo no?

Re-read post #4. At minimum FOPA protects you so long as you adhere to its provisions and only make casual stops in the retarded states. In the OP's travel plans, that would basically include NY, NJ, MD.... MA is retarded too, but OP is licensed there. RI has an exemption for MA LTC holders that are just driving through. CT I'm not clear on handguns without a carry permit, but since the OP will need to be in FOPA mode he won't be carrying. CT requires a permit to purchase ammo, not to possess.

So the consensus is gun yes and ammo no?

read post #4 where Palladin copied and pasted the damn law.
it addresses ammunition....read it.

- - - Updated - - -

To the OP, try to keep straigt the following questions..

1. When am I protected by state law?
2. When am I not protected by state law and thus invoking FOPA?

keep them separate and youre fine. Mix em all up and it creates confusion.

read post #4 where Palladin copied and pasted the damn law.
it addresses ammunition....read it.

- - - Updated - - -

To the OP, try to keep straigt the following questions..

1. When am I protected by state law?
2. When am I not protected by state law and thus invoking FOPA?

keep them separate and youre fine. Mix em all up and it creates confusion.

Oops! I'm terribly sorry. Thanks for the synopsis. Reading legalese makes my wee head hurt. Also, I'm at work on my phone which makes detailed reads harder.

Back
Top Bottom