Traveling in a motorhome with a pistol through Canada.

marvelshooter

Banned
Hello,
This is a (mostly) hypothetical question that came up at work. Is there any legal way to get from the lower 48 states to Alaska, through Canada of course, with a pistol on board? This isn't taking into account the various state laws that would be in question, just the multiple border crossings. One possibility that was raised and I am sure would be illegal was to ship the pistol to yourself ahead of time and then send it back home the same way. I am pretty sure it is okay to enter Canada with guns to attend a legitimate shooting match or go hunting but what about just passing through?
Thanks,
Dan

Canada will issue a non-resident a permit to bring a restricted weapon (handgun) into Canada for a competition, however, Canada will specifically not issue a permit for the purpose of transit through their country. Also, there is a 10 round handgun limit (5 round rifle), handguns with a barrel length under 105mm are banned (except Canadians who had them registered before the ban), and there is a ban on low caliber handguns (I think htis covers .25ACP but not .22LR). You cannot "just enter" for a shooting match with handguns, but have to make specific advance arrangements to get the permit which generally involves having the host club provide confirmation you will be attending a competition.

One possibility that was raised and I am sure would be illegal was to ship the pistol to yourself ahead of time and then send it back home the same way.
I don't think this is illegal as long as you ship it to yourself, not an intermediary.

If you think the Massachusetts laws are screwey wait till you get a load of this:

Source: Canada's Gun Laws for Americans

The Non-Resident Firearms Declaration (download form CAFC 909 here) allows a non-resident who shows up at the US/Canada border with non-restricted or restricted firearms. There is a fee (currently C$25 as of mid-2005) charged for this license, but it is waived if you have paid the fee for a previous visit within the past year. This license serves as both license and registration while in Canada, and is valid for 60 days. An Authorization to Transport is also needed for restricted firearms.

More info from the RCMP here: Canadian Firearms Program

I'd suggest contacting Canadien and US customs and maybe also a Canadien firearms attorney to insure you make it in and back with your property.

Or pick someplace else to go. [thinking]

One possibility that was raised and I am sure would be illegal was to ship the pistol to yourself ahead of time and then send it back home the same way.

That's actually perfectly legal...

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#shipping-firearms-additional

An Authorization to Transport is also needed for restricted firearms.

The authorization to transport may not be obtained at the border, must be done by mail, and generally takes a few weeks. The fun part is getting the "good guy" letter issued by your local police department.

Visitors / Non-Residents
<http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/information/visit/index-eng.htm>

Firearm Users Visiting Canada
<http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm>

Importing Firearms, Firearm Parts and Ammunition
<http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/import-importer-eng.htm>

Target Shooters
<http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/target_cible-eng.htm>

If you would bring any firearm you will need either a Canadian PAL or a Canadian non-resident firearms declaration, which is easily done; for non-restricted firearms it is essentially shall-issue. If you would bring a restricted firearm you will also need a valid ATT. An ATT is may-issue; you must satisfy the provincial CFO that your purpose is legitimate - in his opinion. If you were to plan to attend a shooting match in Canada (while enroute to Alaska), getting an ATT from the CFO would not be a problem. If you do not wish to plan to attend a shooting match in Canada, it might be best to ship your restricted firearms ahead (by UPS).

I am constantly amazed at the amount of assumptions made about shipping firearms, particularly when the informarion is readily available from the horse's mouth (ATF firearm FAQs).

The person who suggested that to you knew what he was talking about.

Back
Top Bottom