• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shipping a potentially antique firearm

Delkancott

NES Member
Hey All,

Someone in NC expressed interest in an old top break S&W .32 I have and I was curious to folks opinions on shipping it. From what I've read you can ship a firearm manufactured prior to 1898 without an FFL, but my question is how do I prove the firearm manufacturing date if I don't have serial records?

Is it prudent to still ship through an FFL to avoid the risk?

Thanks.

Pics for reference. IMG_5767.jpeg IMG_5766.jpeg IMG_5768.jpeg IMG_5770.jpeg

Have you looked at other threads, forums or contacted S&W?
Here is a thread that may help. Matt

It may be cheaper and easier to ship through an FFL, as the issue is finding someone who'll ship it and how much extra effort you'd have to go through.:

FedEx
https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fedex/us-united-states/services/Service_Guide_2023.pdf - P.126

"Only customers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and federal, state, or local government agencies may ship firearms with FedEx. Customers holding an FFL must enter into an approved FedEx Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement before shipping any firearms with FedEx. For more information, contact your FedEx account executive. On behalf of customers holding an FFL who enter into an approved FedEx Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement and federal, state, or local government agencies, FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms, antique firearms, and replica firearms, all as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, as well as muzzleloaders and black powder firearms (collectively “firearms”)."

I have not pinged FedEx to see if they include C&R licensees under "customers holding a Federal Firearms License" and are willing set up a Compliance agreement for them.

UPS
UPS does specifically recognize the C&R FFL, but you will have to set up an account with them and jump through some paperwork hoops to do it. You also can't use UPS Stores and the like, has to be either driver pickup or at one of their shipping hubs with a retail counter. I believe their other locations are not covered as common carriers, so they can't handle firearms. I've found that the W. Springfield MA UPS hub is pretty good at knowing the rules, as they do a ton of shipping for that S&W company across the river.

https://www.ups.com/assets/resources/webcontent/en_US/terms_service_us.pdf - P.7, Sec 3.7

"3.7.1 Firearms Packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26,Chapter 53 of the United States Code)and firearm parts that do not constitute firearms as defined by federal law (together, “Firearm Products”) are accepted for transportation only as a contractual service and only from government agencies and Shippers who are licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code). To transport Packages containing Firearm Products, the Shipper must enter into an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products."

The following web page is also incorporated as official UPS policy by Sec. 3.7:
https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/s...egulated-items/prohibited-items/firearms.page

I'm not really that informed on the ins and outs of the Federal antique definition. UPS Sec 3.7 refers to two USCs, the more relevant appearing being 18 USC Ch44 S921 (Definitions) number 16:

"(16) The term "antique firearm" means—

(A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or

(B) any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica—

(i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or

(ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; "

At first read it would seem to me that your S&W uses centerfire ammo that is still available in ordinary channels and would not be classified as an antique even if pre 1898 so UPS would ship it as a firearm, not an antique -but I'm not really familiar with this area. Someone else probably has better information on that.

USPS
The US Postal Service also uses a definition of antique derived from USC T18 C44 focusing on muzzle loaded and not centerfire ammo. Also, C&R licensees can't ship handguns (but can ship rifles and shotguns).

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_008.htm#ep290109 - Section 43

TL/DR - You can ship some guns yourself, but it's a pain in the ass and can cost more than paying an FFL/shop to do it. If this is a one time event, pay your shop. As they can ship with USPS, it can be cheaper than you can do it, anyway.

The things people will do to avoid the boring, repetitive parts of real work, eh??

Reading shipping tariffs seems to be more interesting than reading defense contracts. ;)

Back
Top Bottom