Travel guide's Frommer says no more AZ due to gun thugs

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,541522,00.html?test=latestnews

Arthur Frommer

PHOENIX — Well-known travel icon Arthur Frommer said he'll avoid visiting Arizona because state laws permit "thugs" and "extremists" to openly tote guns.

Frommer, the author of budget-travel guides, said on his blog Wednesday that he was "shocked beyond measure" by reports that protesters openly carried guns and rifles outside a Phoenix building where President Barack Obama spoke on Monday.

As a result, Frommer said he won't be spending his tourism dollars at the Grand Canyon, or anywhere else in Arizona, because he doesn't want to travel in a state where civilians carry loaded weapons as a means of political protest.

"I will cancel any plans to vacation or otherwise visit in Arizona until I learn more," Frommer wrote. "And I will begin thinking about whether tourists should safeguard themselves by avoiding stays in Arizona."

Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon says he spoke with Frommer on Thursday and invited him to visit the city to clear up any possible misconceptions about safety.

Yeah, because visits to LA/NY/Detroit/Boston are SO much safer. I would probably feel safer in the worst parts of AZ then I would in any part of NY, MA or Ca.

Yeah, because visits to LA/NY/Detroit/Boston are SO much safer. I would probably feel safer in the worst parts of AZ then I would in any part of NY, MA or Ca.

Agreed. Stick me in the Grand Canyon over some parts of Boston any day.

Been to AZ twice, and would gladly go back!

Well, I've never been terribly impressed with Frommer's, but this confirms an extremely superficial/poor understanding of the places he/they describe...

The absurdity of this logic is profound beyond words...

Is this Frommer himself or his daughter?

[smile]
3_61_frommer_arthur.jpg

Just quick read his comments,once part of a sentence jumped out at me "carry weapons openly and brazenly". Now I'm no Noah Webster but doesn't the word "brazenly" mean defying the law? Frommer might be a great travel writer but he'd make a lousy lawyer.

"And I will begin thinking about whether tourists should safeguard themselves by [STRIKE]avoiding stays in Arizona[/STRIKE] staying home and hiding under furniture."

What a doof. They have travel guides to some of the most dangerous cities in the world, but heaven forfend someone should go where Frommer feels a little creeped out.

I would have also thought that the Yale Law program would have had some requirements regarding american history. The formation of this country wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the private ownership and carrying of small arms.

Well, he is a New York City boy, and probably a Yankees fan.

Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.

Application server is busy. Either there are too many concurrent requests or the server still is starting up.

Looks like he managed to stir up enough people his server got knocked out.

To quote Lucas McCain, "He needs dope slapped".

His travel guides all suck anyway -- they read like a dictionary without giving me much clue about what I might actually want to see vs. what is just plain boring and can be skipped.

I think I unfortunately have his guide for the Philippines somewhere. You know, that place where the bottom half of the country has terrorists living scattered about, and they do things like kidnap people who look like, umm... Mr. Frommer. I guess that doesn't creep him out at all.

Hay whackin on my former home town, Detroit

I always felt pertty safe in Detroit, well as long as my friend Colt and I were together..

[laugh2]

The difference between Detroit and say Boston, let alone Manchester, New Hampshire is simply indescribable.

I've lived out here for the past five years and still haven't felt the need to carry.. here it sort of an inthing, even a boutiquey thing to do.. In Detroit is was a necessity, if you had to drive thru the City..

Detroit was my hometown until I was nine years old and my parents felt the City was getting too bad for a family to live there!! And that was 1950 when we moved to the suburbs like everyone else was :-D

[rofl]

Back
Top Bottom