Travel between Massachusetts and Pennsylvania

Freedom Pill

NES Member
I'm licensed in Connecticut and Pennsylvania but not NY. Planning to travel with gun double locked in trunk. Anyone have any experience to share concerning the best route or extra storage precautions?

Lock it up, unloaded, per FOPA, and try to avoid stops in NY and you'll be fine. I always go thru NYS to PA and beyond via I-84.

Disclaimer: IANAL.
Ditto. There is a Panera this side of the New York border, and a Perkins just over the PA line (in Matamoras). Good places to stop and make changes and have something to eat.

Ditto. There is a Panera this side of the New York border, and a Perkins just over the PA line (in Matamoras). Good places to stop and make changes and have something to eat.
I would skip Perkins. Go one more exit(Milord/Lake Wallenpaupack) and take a left, Milford diner. Awesome country food, cooked from scratch.

Milford Diner · 301 Broad St, Milford, PA 18337

OP, try to keep under legal limit on the NY state sector of your trip. It's a notorious revenue generating scheme. They love out of state plates and will nail everyone going 5 mph over limit.

I'm licensed in Connecticut and Pennsylvania but not NY. Planning to travel with gun double locked in trunk. Anyone have any experience to share concerning the best route or extra storage precautions?

Not really a huge deal, I've gone into PA like 5 different ways, doesnt matter. usually 84 out to Matamoras is the traditional route to use if you are trying to avoid NYC. just keep your stuff covered up, don't drive like a maniac while in NYS, under 10 over limit on 84. If you are doing the middle of the night thing it may be easier to just go on 95 and reduce
exposure. But it depends really on what your destination is after you enter PA.

Even with FOPA. Cops in NY will might arrest you and let the court figure it out.

Even with FOPA. Cops in NY will might arrest you and let the court figure it out.

PAPD (NY/NJ airport cops) are the only entity known to really do that. regardless the pant shitting hysteria about this is over the top. If you're not driving a junk like a maniac, and not driving in the sticks, nobody will even pay attention to you on any of the big NY/NJ corridors. These roads move many thousands of cars a day. You can basically be a grain of sand on a beach, rather
easily.

Nobody is going to come out of the bushes and kill you if you stop in NJ to take a piss or something. [rofl]

That said, it's good advice regardless, as the service stops on the turnpike etc are generally disgusting. /puke
You're talking about the state that arrested a man for transporting a 250 year old flint lock in the glove compartment.

It's pretty well known own NJ doesn't recognize FOPA, and while that didn't apply to the man with the flintlock, they're absolutely a f*** you now and let someone else figure it out later state.

You're talking about the state that arrested a man for transporting a 250 year old flint lock in the glove compartment.

It's pretty well known own NJ doesn't recognize FOPA, and while that didn't apply to the man with the flintlock, they're absolutely a f*** you now and let someone else figure it out later state.

Please send link, never heard of this. regardless, it's not worth worrying about if your shit is locked up and hidden, which should be SOP anyways while
underway. IMHO the people who shit their pants constantly are at a greater risk of having the thing worrying them become a problem because they tend to go full
retard. A lot of us here have transited NY and NJ with guns no problem.

ETA: you do realize btw, that putting a gun in a f***ing glove compartment is not FOPA compliant? [rofl] not exactly the best citation of an example of "ignoring fopa". [rofl]

84 aint bad from CT to PA, I do it quite a bit to pick up and drop off my kid at Penn State.
My wife got off once and got gas and the receipt said NJ, so apparently looking at the map there is one very tiny stretch where you may hit NJ, not sure to be honest.
IANAL but according to FOPA you *should* be fine.
Pike to NYS thruway is the other way to go, longer time in NY by far.

84 aint bad from CT to PA, I do it quite a bit to pick up and drop off my kid at Penn State.
My wife got off once and got gas and the receipt said NJ, so apparently looking at the map there is one very tiny stretch where you may hit NJ, not sure to be honest.

If you are doing the Matamoras route you will never touch NJ at all, unless you take a wrong turn. (the three states border one another around matamoras, you will come within feet of the border, but if you're just on 84, you'll never touch NJ. ) Obviously if your wife got off 84 in the wrong way there's a potential to enter NJ. There's even a spot with a stone? marker where all 3 states borders intersect.

I've driven to and from PA dozens of times with guns.

Number of times I was arrested: 0
Number of times my FOPA compliance was questioned: 0
Number of times my car was searched: 0
Number of times I was questioned about guns: 0
Number of times I got pulled over: 0

Just follow the laws and stop worrying. I've been to ~22 states with guns and the only state I've ever been pulled over is MA, my home state where I spend the most time by far. No one is sitting at the state line just waiting to arrest you.

If you are doing the Matamoras route you will never touch NJ at all, unless you take a wrong turn. (the three states border one another around matamoras, you will come within feet of the border, but if you're just on 84, you'll never touch NJ. ) Obviously if your wife got off 84 in the wrong way there's a potential to enter NJ. There's even a spot with a stone? marker where all 3 states borders intersect.

I saw the gas receipt and it was New Jersey so immediately I was like "Sonofabitch what's that whore doing in New Jersey she's supposed to be picking up the kid she's probably out whorin' somewhere WTF sonofa I'm gonna confront her with this receipt..." so I looked at the map and there's this one spot where if you get off the highway it looks like you're super super close to NJ and that must have been the one exit she got off......Just hope she didn't really get off......I digress, carry on....

if you drive scared like you have 50 bricks hidden in the car you're gonna get stopped. cops have that 6th sense and just know this shit, they can see beads of sweat on a mans brow at 75 yards. just drive with the traffic, stop where you want to stop for gas and food. all the people telling you different never been through the area with guns. i never heard of a random car search in a rest area. i drove through the area 3 times a year for 25 years when i chased the ata circuit down the coast. last time down was 2016. whadda know, i lived to tell about it. there was a great ice cream stand in new jersey, off 84 i think. you could see it from the highway. you are in n.y. but when you get off the exit you go right into that little sliver of new jersey. worth the stop, best chocolate chip on the east coast.

I saw the gas receipt and it was New Jersey so immediately I was like "Sonofabitch what's that whore doing in New Jersey she's supposed to be picking up the kid she's probably out whorin' somewhere WTF sonofa I'm gonna confront her with this receipt..." so I looked at the map and there's this one spot where if you get off the highway it looks like you're super super close to NJ and that must have been the one exit she got off......Just hope she didn't really get off......I digress, carry on....
I think when you are on the PA side you can literally take a bad turn and end up in Jersey.... everything is close there.

Just follow the laws and stop worrying. I've been to ~22 states with guns and the only state I've ever been pulled over is MA, my home state where I spend the most time by far. No one is sitting at the state line just waiting to arrest you.
I got pulled over in SC last summer but that was it. Basically in a townie speed trap where the Zone goes from like 60 to 45 and of course if you didn't see the sign you'll still be going 60 plus.... and it happened obviously when I was violating one of my own rules which is not to be "in the Sticks...." .but that one moment of weakness.... 🤣

I got pulled over in SC last summer but that was it. Basically in a townie speed trap where the Zone goes from like 60 to 45 and of course if you didn't see the sign you'll still be going 60 plus.... and it happened obviously when I was violating one of my own rules which is not to be "in the Sticks...." .but that one moment of weakness.... 🤣
But that's where the good shine is, none of that city bathtub bullshit would ever do. [smile]

If you're transporting a handgun in a car thru NY state, even if it's unloaded, locked in trunk and there's a print out of FOPA taped to the box in case a cop forces a search, as soon as you cross into NY state isn't that an insta-felony? Cause NY doesn't honor FOPA? States rights an shiet.

Every time I see these posts I wonder if I’m reckless or other people are pants shitters. I have made the drive from Philly to Boston so many times I could only guess, 250 to 300 times. I have all the permits but New York, when I hit New York I stash my pistol under the seat and grab it when I hit CT. In my 35 years of driving I’ve been pulled over dozens of times, I’ve had a few tickets, a few laughs and zero searches.

I think when you are on the PA side you can literally take a bad turn and end up in Jersey.... everything is close there.
I’m not sure about that, the Delaware River is our border with Jersey. You know you are crossing into Jersey and it’s not just the sucking sound.

IANAL but according to FOPA you *should* be fine.
Pike to NYS thruway is the other way to go, longer time in NY by far.
Exit 2 in NY just before PA line. I believe it is Mountain Road. Drive down the hill to Gas Station/ convenience store (200 yards?) and it’s NJ.

As you get into PA on 84 the river you can see to South of Highway is NJ boarder I believe

Back
Top Bottom