Trap shooting at sea .........

icyclefar

NES Member
Now that summer is here, I am once again wondering about the legalities of shooting trap off the back of a boat.

Does anyone have any idea if this can be done, and if so what the restrictions might be?

I know some cruise ships do it. But there probably in international waters when they do it, so it can be done if you go that far. As for territorial waters I would say give a call to the USCG

Not since 9/11, they don't. [sad]

I know I used to trap shoot off the fantail or rail, but have not since '98. I don't know if 9/11 really is the reason; I believe it has more to do with plastic wads being harmful to sea fauna.

As for "security;" I have four words:

Achille Lauro

Somali pirates.

Lead shot can't be used near ponds, marshes, rivers etc. I believe the same applies to coastal goose and duck hunting. I'm not sure if the same laws apply to the open sea.

I know I used to trap shoot off the fantail or rail, but have not since '98. I don't know if 9/11 really is the reason; I believe it has more to do with plastic wads being harmful to sea fauna.

As for "security;" I have four words:

Achille Lauro

Somali pirates.

I don't know if this was intended to be facetious, but there may well be a grain of truth to it. Since I can't remember exactly when, all documented vessels have had to post a sign summarizing some new treaty rules on discharges, one of this is that discharge of plastic is prohibited in all waters, regardless of jurisdiction or distance from shore.

MARPOL

As long as your 3 miles out your OK. Just be sure to bust every clay target.

trash_sign_2003.gif

This would be a great opportunity for a Clay target maker to start a new Biodegradeable Organic Non-Clay made from recycled Clam Shells, Salt, Lime and stuff.

They could also make some Golf Balls out of the same stuff.

It would be great for the enviourment and you could even feed wild life and fish with the right ingrediants.

FORE! Blast! A combo driving range/ shooting range!

You need to have the MARPOL Placard on your boat!!! The USCG will gig you for not having it.

Capt Walt

A side benift is that it scares away all the tourists when your fishing and want to have a little space to call your own.

lasershoot_01.jpg

Last edited:
As long as your [sic] 3 miles out your [sic] OK. Just be sure to bust every clay target.

trash_sign_2003.gif

It would be great for the enviourment [sic] and you could even feed wild life and fish with the right ingrediants [sic].

A side benift [sic] is that it scares away all the tourists when your [sic] fishing and want to have a little space to call your own.

WRONG! Had you read your own chart, you'd have seen that dumping plastic is illegal, period. Outside the three-mile, the twelve and even the twenty-five mile limit; with or without the MarPol sticker. Just what part of "Illegal to dump plastic" did you not comprehend?

RTFD! [slap]

Last edited:
So does that chart mean that you can't hunt birds with shot shells at all if you're shooting over the water? Since you can't dump plastic in "US lakes, rivers, bays, sounds, and 3 miles miles from shore"?

Or do they make shotshells without plastic wads but some other kind for hunting?

Before my time, but I think that the original shotgun wads were made from felt. Of course they didn't "cup" the shot to attempt a more even dispersal.

Wonder if a reasonable substitute could be made from some paper product?

WRONG! Had you read your own chart, you'd have seen that dumping plastic is illegal, period. Outside the three-mile, the twelve and even the twenty-five mile limit; with or without the MarPol sticker. Just what part of "Illegal to dump plastic" did you not comprehend?

RTFD! [slap]

Now if they'll only do something about the plastic tampon applicators ("beach whistles"), washing up on the shore.

Shot gun shells are not considered intentional "Dumping"

Shot gun shells are not considered intentional "Dumping"

They are an unavoidable byproduct of using the shotgun. Even inshore while hunting waterfowl. Well within the 3 mile limit. The only regulation is Steel Shot only.

The plastic wad must not be considered as dumping or the shotshell manufactures would not be able to use it in the shell.

Granted: If one were to get paper hulls and load them with felt/cardboard wadding it would be better for the envioument.

It may be a little less profitable for the Ammo manufactures but if imagine if
You know, ifone person, just one person asking for paper shotgun shells t they may think he's really sick and they won't take him serious. And if two people, two people asking for paper shotgun shells in harmony,they may think they're both faggots and they won't take either of them serious. And three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people walking in
asking for paper shotgun shells and walking out. They may think it's an
organization. And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day,I said
fifty people a day walking in and asking for paper shotgun shells
walking out. And friends they may thinks it's a movement.

PS: Pick up you empty hulls. You can reload them anyway you like.

Only a Lawyer would read it litteraly. Its a Suggestion, not like its written by Moses in Stone.

("beach whistles"), and dont forget the ever popular Revere Beach Jellyfish

YUK!

"As the treaty applies to shipping, shore-based waterfowlers would seem to be wholly outside the scope of its application."

Kinda what I just said? Eh Jethro?
second_day.jpg

Last edited:
Form Follows Function

Fiocchi, too, has added paper hulls to its competitive 12 gauge line featuring 1 1/8 ounces of numbers 7 1/2 and 8 at velocities of 1,150, 1,200 and 1,250 fps, corresponding to the traditional definitions of light, heavy and handicap loads. Competitors feel they generate less felt recoil. Federal has offered a very complete line of paper cased competition shells for years.

Form Follow Function: So why not make a shotgun shell from high density pressed recycled paper/rag/cardboard with a fiber shot cup shooting recyced non toxic pellitized organic meal. (Kinda like a high powered pea shooter) Specifially for blasting the Eco-Frendly recycled clam shell/lime simulated clay targets.

Market this whole shebang to the Yuppie Tree Hugging Ecotourists as a new Eco-Sport fully outfitted with Birkenstock apparal and Gucci Shotbags. Dont forget your Bolle Blaster Eye protection. Maybe even a Tom-Tom GPS Rangefinder

ocklap10.jpg

Last edited:
As the treaty applies to shipping, shore-based waterfowlers would seem to be wholly outside the scope of its application.
Ah. So, since the sign says "any vessel" (and doesn't say anything about shipping), I guess that "vessel" has a specific legal meaning that exempts small craft?

RTFD! [slap]

I wonder if they are enforcing this on Navy ships as well. Back in the day we used to dump everything overboard. Plastic, steel, etc' didn't matter. If it wasn't wanted on board, overboard it went.

I wonder if they are enforcing this on Navy ships as well. Back in the day we used to dump everything overboard. Plastic, steel, etc' didn't matter. If it wasn't wanted on board, overboard it went.

"Back in the day" being the operative phrase. It was just that sort of "it's someone else's problem" that made it everybody's problem.

Hence, ILOS, MarPol, and similar treaties and protocols. Of course, there's always the 10% that just never "gets it." [rolleyes]

I wonder if they are enforcing this on Navy ships as well. Back in the day we used to dump everything overboard.

Apparently things have improved considerably, though not entirely. Here's an article that describes how trash management is handled on the USS Wasp, and I would assume on most if not all other large Naval vessels. Note that biodegradable and innocuous solid waste (e.g., glass and metal) are still discarded at sea, but plastics specifically are not. IANAL, but my guess is that naval vessels are specifically exempted from the ocean disposal regulations on grounds of national security and probably have carte blanche to do whatever they please if it affects their combat readiness.

http://www.news.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=2712

When I worked on Submarines, the entire waste disposal system was a DOD Classified system. For good reason! [wink]

Indeed! No point in building a nuclear submarine that can stay submerged indefinitely if you can track it by its garbage trail. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom