Transporting gun to range in a backpack while on motorcycle

I was trying to figure this all out too.
Instead of a backpack I use a tank bag all the time, but I have never carried on my bike. I would rather not carry my gun on my side while riding, so if I were to put it in the tank bag directly in front of me would that be OK? I could actually lock the zippers together and seal it. But if I was riding I wouldn't want a lock bouncing all over my tank.

I am waiting on my LTC...I am trying to understand the legalities of carrying in different scenarios such as the above...I don’t like using tank bags that much...I’d rather use a backpack

btw – nice DUC edin

If you have a LTC-A ALP you can carry on your person or under your direct control while riding. If the bag is with in reach and secured in such a manner that it won't come off the bike and away from you easily, then the firearm is under your direct control.

If you don't have the A or ALP just keep the pistol in the factory box and lock it. the bag doesn't need to be locked just the container. If you go this route keep it unloaded and seperate from the ammunition.

If you keep it in a backpack on you make sure the box is big enough that should you dump and land on your back it won't cause a lot of damage to your spine.

I dumped once while carrying, landed right on the pistol. didn't damage the gun, but I had to change how I carried for a week or so.

sdavid said:
If you have a LTC-A ALP you can carry on your person or under your direct control while riding. If the bag is with in reach and secured in such a manner that it won't come off the bike and away from you easily, then the firearm is under your direct control.

I do have a class A ALP/LTC. It was the the direct control thing I was wondering about. I wasn't too sure being in a tank bag would float in MA. I would have to think that being in a tank bag that is directly in front of you would be but I don't want to assume anything.

Thanks a ton [!]

How about just putting a trigger lock on it and keeping it unloaded?? [thinking]

Trigger locks are for storage only and don't do anything for you legally with respect to transportation, though obviously they may be a good idea for other reasons.

I used to carry my competition gear, gun included, in the right side saddle bag of my Road King. Never thought twice about it.

I figured, If I get pulled over for some odd reason, and for some odd reason was asked if I had any weapons, I would have just told them I had a permit, handed it to the Officer and told him that my stuff was in the saddle bag and that I was headed to a match......straight up honest.

Never had to though.............

Transporting Firearms

Found this hereTransporting Firearms

Q: How do I transport a gun in my vehicle?

A: A person with a Class "A" LTC may transport a handgun loaded or unloaded on his person or under his direct control in the vehicle. If the handgun is not under his direct control, it must be unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container.

A person with a Class "B" LTC must transport handguns unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container. All persons transporting large capacity rifles and shotguns must transport them unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container. Trigger locks do not meet the requirements of securing a weapon during transport in motor vehicle.

For more specific information see M.G.L. c. 140, §131C.

Maybe you could find a pistol rug that you could put one of those suitcase locks on the zipper?

If you have ALP, why not just wear it unloaded?

Backpack should be OK as long as either it is locked or its in a case in the bag that is locked.

If you don't have the A or ALP just keep the pistol in the factory box and lock it. the bag doesn't need to be locked just the container. If you go this route keep it unloaded and seperate from the ammunition.

If you keep it in a backpack on you make sure the box is big enough that should you dump and land on your back it won't cause a lot of damage to your spine.

I dumped once while carrying, landed right on the pistol. didn't damage the gun, but I had to change how I carried for a week or so.

I agree with sdavid.

Since you've been too busy to post much, Jesse, and since a lot of the people here are new, I'm going take a second to introduce you. Jesse Cohen is IMHO one of the most knowledgeable attorneys in Massachusetts firearms law, though he doesn't flaunt it. Your very safe going with his opinion here.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom