transporting friends pistol

I have a CCW for Ct and Ma. I want to take my friends gun up to S&W and try it out in a class. Am I allow to transport a gun that I dont have a bill of sale for? Basically test firing a friends gun and get some work done on it at S&W. He has the gun registered on his NY permit. thanks

if it starts in CT and goes where you are licensed, or not required to be licensed ( NH/VT) no problemo IMHO. The question is can he legally bring the gun from NY into CT?

If he can bring the gun across the state line legally no problem

You're all set ctjoe, there's no need for you to own a gun to possess it, and federal law allows residents of different states to loan guns to each other for temporary sporting purposes. If you get in trouble with it (like you shooting somebody), he may be partially liable. No problem for you, though.

If you get in trouble with it (like you shooting somebody), he may be partially liable. No problem for you, though.

I strongly suspect that if you were to shoot someone with your friend's gun, you'd be in at least as much trouble as he. [wink]

Ken

NY requires that all handguns be listed one one's NY Pistol permit. This is a pain in the butt for several reasons - no loaning of handguns, and if you have chest pains at the range you can't even legally let your buddy take the gun while you go to the hospital.

No state that I know of requires one carry a bill of sale (with the exception of the reports of the NOPD confiscating legally carried guns, without charge, saying they would be returned only upon showing of proof of ownership), but NY pistol permit holders cannot possess a handgun not listed on their permit (with some exceptions for state licensed dealers and gunsmiths).

NY requires that all handguns be listed one one's NY Pistol permit. This is a pain in the butt for several reasons - no loaning of handguns, and if you have chest pains at the range you can't even legally let your buddy take the gun while you go to the hospital.

No state that I know of requires one carry a bill of sale (with the exception of the reports of the NOPD confiscating legally carried guns, without charge, saying they would be returned only upon showing of proof of ownership), but NY pistol permit holders cannot possess a handgun not listed on their permit (with some exceptions for state licensed dealers and gunsmiths).

I believe I cant carry his guns in NY but the guns listed on his pemit mean nothing outside of NY as far as me borrowing one in which I have a CCW for.

I believe I cant carry his guns in NY but the guns listed on his pemit mean nothing outside of NY as far as me borrowing one in which I have a CCW for.

Yes, you're right. NY laws don't matter to you if you're not going to be in NY. Rob's comment is a good one to keep in mind, though. Just because federal law allows loaning of guns, it doesn't mean that state law necessarily allows it.

You're all set ctjoe, there's no need for you to own a gun to possess it, and federal law allows residents of different states to loan guns to each other for temporary sporting purposes. If you get in trouble with it (like you shooting somebody), he may be partially liable. No problem for you, though.

Which law is this, specifically?

Which law is this, specifically?

18 USC 44 § 922(a)(5)(B)

"It shall be unlawful [...] for any person [...] to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person [...] who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in [...] the State in which the transferor resides; except that this paragraph shall not apply to [...] the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes"

Note, however, that you must receive the loaned firearm within your state of residence if you want to have possession of it there, or you will be violation of § 922(a)(3), which does not allow you to bring firearms into your home state that you acquired out of state (except long guns from a dealer).

Last edited:
18 USC 44 § 922(a)(5)(B)

"It shall be unlawful [...] for any person [...] to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person [...] who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in [...] the State in which the transferor resides; except that this paragraph shall not apply to [...] the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes"

Note, however, that you must receive the loaned firearm within your state of residence if you want to have possession of it there, or you will be violation of § 922(a)(3), which does not allow you to bring firearms into your home state that you acquired out of state (except long guns from a dealer).

Awesome. Thanks for that info there.

Spoke to Ma. state today. Ct and Ma are alike in that they issue a permit to carry a handgun, any hand gun. The permit is not tied into any specific one. So the answer is you can carry, shoot or transport as long as you are licensed to carry.

Back
Top Bottom