Transporting a pistol and ammo in car with no NH permit

NHCraigT

NES Member
Ok,

Life has been darn busy, and I finally got around to filling out my NH Permit renewal, about 1 week before it actually expired. Went to the local police station, talked to the chief, while leaving the application (left it with him). He stated that his secretary was away for a week. When she gets back, he's leaving for vaca. for a week. So, I'd have a week+week+week plus (+processing time). That means I will have 2, or more weeks of not having a valid NH permit.

Now, I have my MA nonres LTC. Because I work in MA (all over MA).

I know I can carry an unloaded pistol in my vehicle legally, in NH.

But, my question is this: I drive a pickup with a cap. I can carry my unloaded pistol in the cab, but what is considered an acceptable location, container, means of holding, etc = for the magazines and ammo? Also:

Can I have the ammo in the magazines, and placed elsewhere in the truck, or does the ammo have to be out of the mags.

Does the ammo have to be in a locked container, wherever it is I can place it?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I hesitate in answering this because I was flamed before for giving out incorrect information.

I thought ammo had to be stored separate, but once I rolled on the ground and put out the fire I discovered that the majority here say otherwise.

There is no statute that states ammo has to be stored separately from the gun.

People on here have also said that in a truck, if you put it (it being the unloaded gun in a locked case) behind one of the seats, that counts (as it is suppose to be in a locked container in a point farthest away from you) in a pickup truck.

Again, IANAL and may be incorrect, if so...flame away. [wink]

Can I have the ammo in the magazines, and placed elsewhere in the ruck, or does the ammo have to be out of the mags.

RSA 159:4 is a bit vague, but it says, "A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges."

I would err on the safe side and say that any magazine that is readily accessible would count as being part of the pistol or revolver even though it is not physically in contact with it. So, unless the mag is locked away somewhere, I'd keep it unloaded.

Plan:
Keep the unloaded pistol up front with me. Leave the loaded mags in a locked case in the capped pick-up bed.

Another question: Can I carry the pistol unloaded (holstered) on me concealed?

New Hampshire's concealled carry law prohibits carring a "Loaded" Pistol or Revolver concealled or in a vehicle without a Pistol or Revolver Licence

Common interpritation of the concealled carry laws in NH has been that a magazine fully removed from the weapon is not "with" the weapon and thus the weapon is not loaded.

Under that interpritation, you can carry a handgun in a holster on one hip and a magazine in a magazine pouch on the other hip and not be carrying a "loaded" weapon.

That being said, you may find a prosecutor willing to argue to a judge that the RSA was "intended" to prohibit carrying a loaded magazine. "Legislative Intent" is a wonderful arguing point of lawyers and judges. "We know what the law says, but we'd much rather argue what they MEANT to say"

Plan:
Keep the unloaded pistol up front with me. Leave the loaded mags in a locked case in the capped pick-up bed.

Another question: Can I carry the pistol unloaded (holstered) on me concealed?

"I would like to bring my handgun into New Hampshire, yet I don’t have a license to carry concealed. How may I carry?

* You may carry unloaded in your vehicle. Be sure that the ammunition is separate from the gun.
* You may carry loaded on your person. The weapon needs to be fully exposed. For example, it may not be concealed by a shirt or a jacket, or located in a backpack.
* You may carry unloaded and concealed on your person, so long as you do not possess any ammunition on your person.
* Please refer t0 RSA 159 for additional information."

I do not know the statute, but that is from the NH Department of Safety site. The link is below.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/faq.html

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

I do not know the statute, but that is from the NH Department of Safety site. The link is below.

The statute itself is unfortunately vague. It's interesting to hear ShadeWPI's take on it, but I'd still be too wary to get anywhere close the definition of 'loaded'.

Of course, I got a NH non-res permit (much more cheaply and easily than I got my MA res permit) so I don't have to worry about it [grin].

"I would like to bring my handgun into New Hampshire, yet I don’t have a license to carry concealed. How may I carry?

* You may carry unloaded in your vehicle. Be sure that the ammunition is separate from the gun.
* You may carry loaded on your person. The weapon needs to be fully exposed. For example, it may not be concealed by a shirt or a jacket, or located in a backpack.
* You may carry unloaded and concealed on your person, so long as you do not possess any ammunition on your person.
* Please refer t0 RSA 159 for additional information."

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/faq.html

Great info = site link.

Thanks A LOT!

Got my NH Permit from the local PD yesterday.

If you're going into NH with a MA permit and no NH permit, when you cross the border, can you unload the gun and put the mag/ammo in the center console and then simply load/open carry when you get out of the car? I'm assuming you can't "open carry" while driving...

(Waiting for my NH nonres....patiently, until now)

Last edited:
If you're going into NH with a MA permit and no NH permit, when you cross the border, can you unload the gun and put the mag/ammo in the center console and then simply load/open carry when you get out of the car?

Depends upon whether a court would see that as still 'loaded' or not. As I said above, that kind of thing would be way too close for my comfort, personally.

Back
Top Bottom