• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transferring guns w/ deceased owner

ok guys this one is for a co-worker. As I don’t have time to search forums atm for him.
My co-workers has a buddy that his dad died recently. No one in the house has an FiD or anything more. Atm I know he should get the guns out of the house and into someone’s hands that has a liceanse. Here is his question...
What does he have to do to get the pistols in his(my co workers) name? He lives in NH and the guns are in MA. The deceased’s son does not have nor want his gun permit atm.
I told him keep the pistols in MA as if you transfer them to NH they might not be able to come back, but I think they are leaning to moving them to MA.
Thanks

You'll find the answers in this Sticky:
MA-Gun Laws (Fed & MA) and Inheritance

There is no legal reason for the "Personal Representative" (used to be called Executor/Executrix) to give the guns to a licensed person immediately if you follow the laws on inheritance.

Actual transfer to a person not named in a Will (or by legal succession) however is a regular transfer from estate to that person and must follow all the laws accordingly like any other transfer.

Back
Top Bottom