Can my kids shoot BB Guns in the back yard?

PaulR

NES Member
My daughter asked me yesterday, and I was like yea sure go ahead.
Then I was like wait....let me check...this is Massachusetts.
It's been since the 80's when I walked around the neighborhood with a BB gun slung over my back.
🤓
Thanks in advance.

Hell, I shoot an AR-15 in my backyard.

Oh... right. I moved out of Marxachusetts 10 years ago. Never mind.

OK, now for seriousness. You might want to try and find a resource for your town or city's ordinances online. Do NOT call your local PD because odds are they won't know and will pull an answer out of their collective asses. Likely NO. Don't ask your neighbors, either... Might turn out to be a Karen who will start a petition against your little girl. Your local public library might have have the town ordinances, or your town clerk's office. Again, don't tell them why; read them yourself.

My daughter asked me yesterday, and I was like yea sure go ahead.
Then I was like wait....let me check...this is Massachusetts.
It's been since the 80's when I walked around the neighborhood with a BB gun slung over my back.
🤓
Thanks in advance.
I seem to recall reading on this site that air guns are considered firearms in relation to schools. That could SO easily be wrong, so hopefully someone can clarify it. I could have read some nitwit's harebrained idea and mistook it for fact, or it could have been one of Scrivner's meanderings.

Unless you live right next to a school, this would not matter anyway.

It could have been one of Scrivner's meanderings.
I just messaged Keith and asked him. I'm curious, too. I mean, I used to shoot my airgun in the backyard, but it was my ex-wife that was the one nagging at me not to do so.

Nowadays, my wife shoots with me in OUR backyard. You can't tell from the pic, but that's an NES lower on that AR.

Attachments

• IMG_20150906_193956491.jpg
    IMG_20150906_193956491.jpg
    920.9 KB · Views: 79
MGL C. 269 § 12B Air Rifle or BB Gun - Possession Regulated
No minor under the age of eighteen shall have an air rifle or so-called BB gun in his possession while in any place to which the public has a right of access unless he is accompanied by an adult or unless he is the holder of a sporting or hunting license and has on his person a permit from the chief of police of the town in which he resides granting him the right of such possession.

Additionally, many towns have bylaws/regs against it. Go here to read your town's bylaws or if your town isn't listed, go to your town clerk's website to find the link and read them yourself.

Wow, I’ve never heard of much less seen such thing…the Class BB LTC…

MGL C. 269 § 12B Air Rifle or BB Gun - Possession Regulated
No minor under the age of eighteen shall have an air rifle or so-called BB gun in his possession while in any place to which the public has a right of access unless he is accompanied by an adult or unless he is the holder of a sporting or hunting license and has on his person a permit from the chief of police of the town in which he resides granting him the right of such possession.

I just messaged Keith and asked him. I'm curious, too. I mean, I used to shoot my airgun in the backyard, but it was my ex-wife that was the one nagging at me not to do so.

Nowadays, my wife shoots with me in OUR backyard. You can't tell from the pic, but that's an NES lower on that AR.
For the love of God don't tell him I called his comments "meanderings". I still see him in passing on Facebook!

Who's going to know? If it's your neighbors and they have a problem with a kid shooting a BB gun in his or her own yard, I'd get new neighbors. Better yet, I'd move someplace with no neighbors.

And that reminds me just how long ago you were the instructor at the Appleseed shoot I attended at HSC.
Ten years ago this month.
For the love of God don't tell him I called his comments "meanderings". I still see him in passing on Facebook!
I just said that his name was invoked.

Who's going to know? If it's your neighbors and they have a problem with a kid shooting a BB gun in his or her own yard, I'd get new neighbors. Better yet, I'd move someplace with no neighbors.
:rolleyes: Yeah... it's so easy and cheap to move if you have a spat with the neighbors.

This from a decade old thread, but I think I was remembering some other thread - some of this sounds kooky:
Actually, air guns have been considered firearms in some states, including Massachusetts. That is why I ended up getting my first FID back in 1979. At the time, an air rifle was considered to be in the same class as a .30/06 and an air pistol was considered to be in the same class as a .44 magnum. It was that lezzbo, Cheryl Jacques, and her 1998 gun law that screwed us royally in every other aspect, but by some quirk, ended up taking airguns out of "firearm" status. You only have to be 18 years of age to own an airgun, thanks to her law. No FID or LTC required. NJ still requires an FID for air gun ownership. I believe NYC requires a permit as well. As for the school regulations, they are supposed to be enforced only on school property, at school-sponsored events (regardless of location) and on the bus to and from school. If the kids were on their parents' property and had not yet boarded the bus, they were not in violation of any school policies. Should make an interesting court case. Hope the parents sue to the fullest extent of the law.

Nothing state wide, but town laws apply as do the restrictions on shooting over a road or alley. Some towns do consider them the same as firearms, don’t be that guy that ruins it.

I fired it as a kid. Maybe Daisy Red Ryder as her first gun. After that, when she progresses, a Daisy. 1101 pellet rifle. Plenty of power and accuracy plus low cost.

Is there a mathmatical formula to calculate Ricochet?
Is there a safe distance to put swinging metal pellet gun targets ? Been plinking but keep hearing some ricochets

Is there a mathmatical formula to calculate Ricochet?
Is there a safe distance to put swinging metal pellet gun targets ? Been plinking but keep hearing some ricochets
With lead pellets and properly angled steel, you shouldn't have projectiles coming back at you.

Back
Top Bottom