Transferring AK SBR in MA

Is it possible to transfer a sbr'd AK in Mass with the new Healy bs without pin and welding a fake suppressor to it so it is 16+ inches in length?
I ask because the transfer would have to go through a dealer and dealers can't transfer (afaik) post 89 ban Ak's and AR's.

Is it possible to transfer a sbr'd AK in Mass with the new Healy bs without pin and welding a fake suppressor to it so it is 16+ inches in length?
I ask because the transfer would have to go through a dealer and dealers can't transfer (afaik) post 89 ban Ak's and AR's.

Based on the letter recently issued by EOPS, dealers cant transfer SBRs period. The problem is that the SBR it NOT a rifle (>= 16" barrel) and NOT a shotgun (>= 18" barrel) so is therefore a firearm. A firearm in MA is the same as a pistol and is subject to the Approved Roster and AG crap. pre 98 will exempt you from the AG crap but not the Roster. The letter is not wrong. The laws are written stupidly and the EOPS reading of the laws is correct if unintended.

So good luck getting any SBR transfered by a dealer.

Based on the letter recently issued by EOPS, dealers cant transfer SBRs period. The problem is that the SBR it NOT a rifle (>= 16" barrel) and NOT a shotgun (>= 18" barrel) so is therefore a firearm. A firearm in MA is the same as a pistol and is subject to the Approved Roster and AG crap. pre 98 will exempt you from the AG crap but not the Roster. The letter is not wrong. The laws are written stupidly and the EOPS reading of the laws is correct if unintended.

So good luck getting any SBR transfered by a dealer.

Wait, what's going on? No more SBR's in MA? When did this happen, what did I miss?

Wait, what's going on? No more SBR's in MA? When did this happen, what did I miss?
On November 21, 2017 the DCJIS (part of EOPSS) sent a letter to MA dealers. It was focused in part on the sale/transfer of Shockwaves in MA. Any firearm that is not a rifle or shotgun (meets minimum barrel length) by definition is a firearm which is the same as a pistol. It is therefore subject to the roster and AG crap.

They are not wrong. That is the way the law is written. The consequence of this is that it is not legal for a dealer to sell/transfer a SBR as it would not be on the approved roster. Wrap your head around that insanity if you can.

If you want an SBR, you will need to apply for your tax stamp yourself and build one.

The only way a dealer can deliver an SBR in MA is if it is pre-98 and was previously registered in MA (same as a pre-98 previously registered handgun).

So then my only option is to pin and weld a fake suppressor to make it so it is no longer an sbr, then I can transfer it privately and the new owner can form 1 it.

Back
Top Bottom