• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transfer of 1989 AR-15 from CT to MA

JayMcB

NES Member
Assachusetts when necessary. NH when possible
So an acquaintance of mine has a model year 1989 Colt AR-15. He live(d) in MA when he bought it, but has since moved to to CT.

He neglected (due to FUDDery, not civil disobedience) to 'register' it during the period after the post Sandy Hook law was passed.

He has no permit of any kind in CT.

How do we legally get it transferred from CT to MA through an FFL in the existing anti-black rifle environment?

you are right, you need an FFL, simply because it is state-to-state. The MA FFL will tell you if it is ok to possess this rifle when you ask him to do the transfer.

When he lived and owned it in MA, did he register it at the time, or did he FUDDery that too?

Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov and http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides an exception from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).

Friend can drop it off locked in a case unloaded per federal transit guidelines at a MA FFL, you pick it up @ MA FFL, 1989= pre AWB, you NICS and EFA10 it to yourself and have a nice day?

When he lived and owned it in MA, did he register it at the time, or did he FUDDery that too?

He had an LTC when he lived in MA.

Friend can drop it off locked in a case unloaded per federal transit guidelines at a MA FFL, you pick it up @ MA FFL, 1989= pre AWB, you NICS and EFA10 it to yourself and have a nice day?

This was what I was thinking. Now the question is, in the current environment, will a MA FFL play ball?

You can also transfer it through a CT FFL as it's a long gun. Maybe easier than dealing with MA? Just drive down and take possession of it post NICS check.

This was what I was thinking. Now the question is, in the current environment, will a MA FFL play ball?

If it's clearly 1989 I don't see why not, just bring some documentation about the serial number block, if it's not freely available online a quick email to the manufacturer should be able to respond. It'd probably be easier for a MA ffl vs a CT, I'd find some FFL's down near the border and start calling. I can guarantee I know a few who *will* do the transfer for you provided it's pre '94 just to **** with the healey, but they're mostly north.

That is very helpful to know...do you have a cite handy?

http://ccdl.us/blog/2013/10/17/preban-assault-weapons/

Clough2Reuben.jpg

huh? the FA10 would be done at the dealer doing the transfer.

Also, I would go meet up with the friend in CT, and when you cross the border to MA, take possession of the rifle from him (legally speaking) so that there is no potential for issues about possession without an LTC.

If it's clearly 1989 I don't see why not, just bring some documentation about the serial number block, if it's not freely available online a quick email to the manufacturer should be able to respond. It'd probably be easier for a MA ffl vs a CT, I'd find some FFL's down near the border and start calling. I can guarantee I know a few who *will* do the transfer for you provided it's pre '94 just to **** with the healey, but they're mostly north.

He has the old FA-10 from the original transfer....that should probably be good enough

By morning, your AG will have new guidance regarding 1989 colts not being legal to transfer from formerly MA guys who are now CT guys who want to transfer to a MA friend.

By morning, your AG will have new guidance regarding 1989 colts not being legal to transfer from formerly MA guys who are now CT guys who want to transfer to a MA friend.

Yeah, but if the OP ups his game a bit and tries selling some other arms to Qatar for the Clinton Foundation, in a couple of years when it finally comes to trial, case will be dropped so the other deals don't come to light.

To the OP.

I don't know how good of a friend you want to be. But since the gun is pre-94, it is not considered to be an AW even by current CT law.

It is simply a rifle.

No licenses or permits are required to possess, carry, transport, use or sell a rifle in CT. (only to purchase)

Your friend can keep it and use it and it is all legal.

If he still wants to sell it, these guns are worth a pretty penny in CT. My gut tells me $2500. Bt a quick check of the ctguntalk.com forum will be able to give you or him an idea of what its worth.

Don

p.s. the following guidance document was taken from the CT DESPP web site. Please note that there is no discussion of date of acquisition or possession. Only date of manufacture. When it is acquired is irrelevant provided it "was legally manufactured prior September 13, 1994"

pre-ban_assault_weaponscan be transferred.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom