• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Training Group

Boghog1

NES Member
So I have this idea and figured I would post here. I am wondering if there is interest in sharing knowledge and experience. I think we all have stuff we know how to do that would benefit others.
What I'm thinking is like the merit badge training for scouts but for adults. Topics could be like Bushcraft, fire building, fire team intro, first aid and more basically we cover something different each month. we schedule a Saturday or Sunday once a month. doesn't have to be long maybe 4 hours tops. I'm also about low or zero cost.

Maybe we take one of the topics in some of these PDFs and try out in the real world, as much as I learn from reading there is no substitute for real world trial and error

Thoughts? Am I crazy for thinking this is something worthwhile m

Finding people close enough to your area is the best idea. Pulling people from all over New England isn’t feasible long term.

Now a REALLY good idea, is to have a network of a bunch of groups and get all the groups together a couple times a year to calibrate. Have monthly curriculum/topics for all groups and some basic guidelines.

Maybe start by making localized groups…everyone knows one or two NESr’s in their area of New England.

Sounds a lot like you’re trying to set up a well regulated group of like minded people…the government might not like that, so there’s another bonus!

Hell, I’d be happy to host the Kentucky annual freedom fest jamboree if you guys wanna rent a bus!

There’s an ex special forces guy, I believe out in Nevada that was trying to set something up like this not too long ago. I forget the name of it, bet there are posts about it in the survival forum.

Last edited:
I like the idea. I was a Cub Scout and got tired of gluing noodles on construction paper with den mothers. I regret not sticking it out and going into Boy Scouts and learning those skills. Being a Navy guy, I never learned to tie knots. That would be a great skill to learn. Sharpening knifes and axes would also be another useable skill. Emergency medicine, plant ID for food and medicine, canning, and field dressing and meat prep are others that would be beneficial. Although a lot of this stuff can be found on YouTube, hands-on is where it's at.Subscribed!

I like the idea. I was a Cub Scout and got tired of gluing noodles on construction paper with den mothers. I regret not sticking it out and going into Boy Scouts and learning those skills. Being a Navy guy, I never learned to tie knots. That would be a great skill to learn. Sharpening knifes and axes would also be another useable skill. Emergency medicine, plant ID for food and medicine, canning, and field dressing and meat prep are others that would be beneficial. Although a lot of this stuff can be found on YouTube, hands-on is where it's at.Subscribed!
That's a site that is highly recommended by some of our outdoorsy people at another forum I belong to.
ETA: One member is a scout leader and posts up about his past and present scouting experiences.

Hands-on is the name of the youtube channel? All Im getting for search results are rap videos
No. You can watch videos on YouTube to learn that stuff but without some hands-on, you won't always benefit. I have attended 3 or 4 lead bullet casting seminars put on by NES members and without actively doing it with guys in the know, I don't think I would be as successful as I am. You can learn how to lay out a wall, rafters or stairs but if you don't have someone there yelling at you or throwing hammers, you haven't really learned it. Sorry for the flashback

You can watch videos on YouTube to learn that stuff but without some hands-on, you won't always benefit.
Totally agree. Ive always learned better by doing and getting yelled at, lol.

240 Geezer threw me off by posting the link to the bushcraft site in one post and then in another quoting you and mentioning the site without naming it. I looked back to the one he quoted and misread the "hands on" part to be a Youtube channel. [laugh] Anyway...just my un-diagnosed autism showing through again, apparently

I have seen knife sharpening mentioned before, I have a bunch of stones, as well as multiple sharpening systems. if there is interest I can do something here in Milford NH on April 23rd, say from 10am to noon. or we can find a neutral place to meet.

Bring your knives/axes/tomahawks/machetes etc... if you have sharpening implements bring them, we can grab lunch after.

How do you get away in the Navy without knowing sailing knots? Anyway, I am very familiar with a fair amount of knots from climbing and sailing, and have taken wilderness first aid. Happy to share knot knowledge, and would like to hone up more on the WFA skills and field dressing, particularly larger game.

MA south shore area -- Rte 3, Hingham, Norwell, Cohasset, Scituate area.

I'm a member over there.
It's a great community.

I have seen knife sharpening mentioned before, I have a bunch of stones, as well as multiple sharpening systems. if there is interest I can do something here in Milford NH on April 23rd, say from 10am to noon. or we can find a neutral place to meet.

Bring your knives/axes/tomahawks/machetes etc... if you have sharpening implements bring them, we can grab lunch after.
That would be an awesome get together. I wouldn't be able to attend as I am on-call that week but might be able to switch out. I will check it out with the other guys. +1
How do you get away in the Navy without knowing sailing knots? Anyway, I am very familiar with a fair amount of knots from climbing and sailing, and have taken wilderness first aid. Happy to share knot knowledge, and would like to hone up more on the WFA skills and field dressing, particularly larger game.

MA south shore area -- Rte 3, Hingham, Norwell, Cohasset, Scituate area.
Sadly, I agree. A bit more than 11 years as a Corpsman, 8 as a pecker checker and the last 3 as a biomedical equipment technician. I can strip, wax and swap a deck though. I would be interested. +1

I'd be interested too. I don't know what I could teach .... maybe cooking on a butane stove? I have a couple stoves and I should get comfortable with them in case I ever have to use them. Doesn't seem hard, but like others have said.... it's better to practice before you need something.

Some folks might want to be walked through storing/sealing food in mylar, or setting up a solar rig.
I need to learn how to sharpen my knives.

Land Nav, which was brought up in another thread, would be of interest.

Land Nav, which was brought up in another thread, would be of interest.

The is a land nave course a half mile from my house, Milford Conservation Commission: Permanent Orienteering Course
pick a day

Back
Top Bottom