• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Use this Hurricane (now looks like a miss in NE) as a training event.

GM-GUY

NES Member
Lets say it was coming up the coast and a direct hit up through Worcester County was forecast.

Would you need to go shopping? What for? Why? (poor planning or due for the regular trip to the store?)

Now lets say, The Grid went down (no notice or forecast) - what happens then?

Fill whatever gaps you can so you don't have to go to the store.

I have an oven/stove (propane) in the camper, a Colemen Fuel/Unleaded Coleman Stove and lantern. Plenty of kerosene, oil candles, and the like; and of course a huge stock of batteries I rotate every Christmas.

Propane tanks are set up so I have 9 days of 24/7 genset runtime. Oil is changed, startup battery is charged, autostart tested. Spare oil and filter.
Gas grill tanks all full but the one hanging off the grill (at half)

Checked stored fuel for vehicles/chainsaws. Spare chains at the ready. Bar and chain oil and 2 cycle oil supply set. Started chainsaw...no sputters.
Some plywood and tarps in Garage.

Just would need to run out and get fresh milk and bread [smile]....chickens will provide fresh eggs for French Toast.

Saw has gas. Have propane for gas stove/grill. Plenty of water. Battery banks are all charged. Truck has a full tank of diesel. Freezer has enough ice backs to keep the food for a good long time. Battery's for flash lights and head lamps are new with plenty of backups.

After the snow storm in October Iv made sure I was ready to at least hold out for a week or two.

It would be spectacular. It would be like a free vacation, I would pretend I was at the cabin in ME for a week or so. Bust out the cribbage board, start the fire pit, invite my surviving neighbors over for some whiskey and the most delicious campfire baked beans.

Just Kidding I would have to work the entire time.

I don't want to say I can 100% live on whats stocked up at the house, but I wont need to go to the store.

The Oct snow storm I went a full week ( lost power on a Sat night at 6:00 PM and didn't get it back till 9:00 the following Sat ), so that shed the light on how much gas I need just for the basics like showers and flushing for the Gen set. That would be fine in a major storm, but in a Grid down, I would probably not be running a Gen set as I think it will make you a target.

Heat that's easy I heat with 90% wood, even have my hot water tied into my wood stove. So really the Gen set would be used for pumping from the deep well.
Car, well I have a old school diesel that can run even if its a EMP, and I can run it on home heating fuel or even filtered waste oil if I had to.
All the every day stuff is more than covered, as its bought and rotated threw out the week/month/year as needed.

Jason.

Back
Top Bottom