• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Survival Group

Being a hobbyist survivalist prepper zombie hunter Larper tourist , I spend a little bit of time thinking about this stuff and acting upon it in an On again Off again way. I firmly believe Bad Things are coming our way , but - sometimes they move pretty slow. I want all this Prep Stuff to be dual purpose. Both as " insurance" and as fun.

I own a rifle with some bullets and my friends do too. I've saved some food , I have a house with wood & coal heat back up , a fence and some dogs , a piece of land full of trees in the boonies with a little cabin on it , and several friends who do also.

I have kicked the horse to death re: bags , and tools and stupid arguments about gear. And flailing about looking for more knowledge I ran across an essay somewhere that spiked my interest.

The point of the essay was : a lone prepper , or small family , with anywhere from a tent to a fortified bunker is prepping to die on their hill. The author believes a team, a group , is needed to defend a place - and that requires the ability to defend aggressively enough that it may require proactive action : going out and confronting threats, patrolling , small unit light infantry tactics without air support, artillery or crew served weapons.

The " industry " of firearms training is pretty sorely lacking in this area. Far as I can tell the only team training available is the opposite of what I am talking about ( Home invasion by SWAT ).

Confused as to the point of this. Are you trying to start a group?

If you are looking for basic tactics, books like the Ranger Handbook, Contact, and some others have the basics about patrolling etc. For classes from what I have found there is Max Velocity in WV, John Mosby out West and another fellow in PA. I am looking into a class in PA simply because it is the closest.

As for forming a group, you need to start with your friends. THis may sound cold but make a list. What skills do they have to bring to the table? Medical, logistics, mil...... What liabilities do they have? Addictions, Meds etc. Then start talking to them. It is a challenge to balance size of the group vs needs vs available resources. It usually ends up being a compromise.

What I wouldn't do is reach out on the internet. These are people that you will be trusting your lives to.

NOt sure if this is what you were looking for in a response but I hope it helps.

The point of the essay was : a lone prepper , or small family , with anywhere from a tent to a fortified bunker is prepping to die on their hill. The author believes a team, a group , is needed to defend a place - and that requires the ability to defend aggressively enough that it may require proactive action : going out and confronting threats, patrolling , small unit light infantry tactics without air support, artillery or crew served weapons.

Yes. And that is a real pisser for I really do not like people...

I'm not trying to start a group. I have a few friends who are like minded , but it took me 50 years to like them. I'm not a " people person " either. Mosby and Max Velocity are the ones who inspired me to start looking in this direction.

Once upon a time I was barely proficient in this stuff , but skills fade and my friends have no background in this area. Thumbs up for MV's " Contact." I've at least got my buddies reading that , now I guess it's time to go thrash around in the woods until we can find someone to tune it up for us.

Traveling to PA or WV might be the best option , but it would be cool to find someone closer.

My friends do actually have some useful skills , men and women included , and none of us are uncomfortable outdoors for extended periods of time.

Re: Group.

I was sort of trying to make the point that one does need a group. There's a lot of individuals on this site , and we all live " behind enemy lines " politically speaking. I wonder how many people don't have a group , and would recommend they get a few friends together , informally. To make formal plans if things get weird.

Well, you don't necessarily have to be in a "group" with people. You can learn from (and about) people, and never talk about 'preparedness' or other similar subjects.

Say you know Bob, and he's an avid mountaineer - but otherwise seems to have no redeeming qualities.

But you want to learn some mountaineering skills - and Bob is a neighbor, and you already know him somewhat. You might join in on some expeditions to gain skills (and have some fun), and never discuss any "survival" related topics at all.

And you might come to find that maybe Bob isn't such a doink after all.

Have ex military in your group. When SHTF, it won't happen within a week or so. Your friends can take command and move the rest of you guys in a tactical way. Basic firing lines and L shaped ambushes don't take that long to learn. It's more a question of choosing the right terrain than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom