• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dangerous Things are Dangerous: The Importance of Medical Training

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Ian and Karl are presenting a long (almost 32 minutes) video about the importance of medical training if you are going to play with potentially dangerous things. It centers on Ian's injury when one of his rifles fired out-of-battery and a piece of shrapnel hit him in the chest. Karl went into detail about how he responded and the materials he had on hand to treat Ian's wound. They also go into pretty extensive detail about the hows and whys of being prepared.

I personally rate myself in the LOW intermediate range of preparedness. Something which I need to work on.

As I said, it's a bit long and they DO like to talk. But the subject is worth the time, especially for the lesser prepared of us.

Question: Who are often the actual first responders during an accident or injury?

Lots of good info in this podcast. If I remember correctly the Doctor being interviewed says tourniquet and how to use it are the single most important skills to have if you hunt and shoot.

Anyone recommend a suture kit, even if it is only a "practice" one?

If no one has a ready answer there are several good medical equipment sites which could answer your question.

I'd look some up but I have to leave in 5 minutes, will be back later this evening.

If no one has a ready answer there are several good medical equipment sites which could answer your question.

I'd look some up but I have to leave in 5 minutes, will be back later this evening.

I've looked at them but nothing jumps out at me as being great. Been meaning to get one but forgot about it and this thread reminded me.

An incredibly good resource for all things in survival medicine. I have a couple of their books and their kits are filled with high quality products, not cheap crap.

You beat me to it.
Altons are one of my favorite medical resource’s.
Get their gear. Get their books.

Anyone carrying a gun should have a TQ, chest seal pack, hemostatic gauze and a flat pressure bandage.
This is what I carry and why I have to wear 5-11s
TQ - Cat 7
Chest Seals - mini HyFin twin pack
Gauze - combat gauze or the black package
4” flat NAR pressure bandage.
3-4 sets gloves
This is all the same stuff we carry on our ambulances. Except the NAR bandage.
I can’t imagine having a pistol on my person and not having all that. At a minimum.
sometimes I add doubles of items.
You can only have so much on your person EDC so anything worse than that and I need to get to my vehicle.

Try and get some medical training if you haven’t.
Try to remember- with a gun shot, stopping Hemorrhaging comes first. Stop bleeding, direct pressure with your hand if you can.
Have someone call 911
*TQ for extremity’s that direct pressure won’t stop The bleeding
*hemostatic gauze gets packed in, I mean really pushed in arterial junctions where a TQ is useless so think areas where limbs attach to body.
Under shoulders and groin areas.
*chest seals for gun shots to the thorax (chest areas) front and then roll em and look for hole in back that’s why there’s two.
*abdomen just hold pressure, maybe with the pressure bandage.
Your gonna need to expose them to work on these areas. This is where EMT scissors come into play if you want to carry those. If you get that far and have managed a wound and the patient is breathing, try and cover them with a blanket or something to keep them warm but watch that wound.
they need a surgeon, that’s why hopefully, someone has called 911 By now.
all we’re trying to do is help them make it there.

address hemorrhage first
then A, B, C
Airways
Breathing
Circulation.
Also remember, you can do CPR “compressions only” for 8 minutes. There’s enough Oxygen in the blood so you don’t have to worry about rescue breaths right off.

gun shots, chain saws, car accidents , and the occasional guy who decides to clear his Snowthrower, with his hand

Last edited:
I’d like to add something.
Don’t carry tourniquets in their plastic wrapping. When you have an arterial bleed and only a few minutes to get the TQ on, taking it out of the plastic shrink wrap is gonna suck. You will have lost some fine motor skill with your hands and it will be tough to get it off.
This goes for ambulances, jump bags, IFAKs etc. the TQ itself is tough and will easily last till the expiration date un-wrapped.
look up a video on how to stage a TQ. I think skinny medic has one.

Back
Top Bottom