• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Traffic Stop Story

Has nothing to do with being honest. Youre legally not required to inform him unless he asks. If its a traffic related stop, why bring it up? If they ask, then fine, answer truthfully.

This is in the General Discussion forum, (not Mass only), in some states you ARE legally required to inform police officers that you're carrying a firearm.

What is this about? I noticed a local Rhode Island LEO do this when was stopped last year. We talked about boats. He called me an "upstanding citizen," told me to slow down and sent me on my way.

The old rumor was that if something bad happened their fingerprints were now on your car.... sounds like old wives tale though.

Ok, you folks will like this...

A few few years ago, I was coming home from work with a coworker, and was merging onto Rte 3N in MA, from 495. My car has a Stromberg performance exhaust, which is louder that normal, but not outrageously loud (unless you floor it, which I don't do during normal driving).

In any case I was merging into traffic, accelerating moderately from 30-50 mph (heavy traffic), right by where those tall noise barrier walls are (read amplifiers). A trouper was traveling on 3N and was a few car lengths behind me. He flashed his blues and pulled me over.

I waited till the end of the merge and pulled over. I figured I'd be polite and turned off my engine (had no clue as to why I was pulled over), put my hands on the wheel. He came up on the driver's side and asked for license and registration.

When he returned, he asked me to press the gas pedal. Somewhat confused as to the request, and even more so because my car was off. I pressed the gas, as he said, and asked no questions. I was pretty loud with all the cars going by. He asked me to do it again while he leaned towards my engine area to listen. At that point, it started to dawn on me, that he must have thought the car was too loud.

He handed back my license and registration, and walked back to his cruiser. Never stated why he pulled me over. Nevertheless, I started up my car and drove off...

Thought you'd enjoy the humor of it all...

Last edited:
The old rumor was that if something bad happened their fingerprints were now on your car.... sounds like old wives tale though.
I was going to guess it was an OCD habit of discharging static (I have that too), but your rumor probably makes more sense.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Pat downs in Europe must be much more fun...

2841477.main_image.jpg

This is in the General Discussion forum, (not Mass only), in some states you ARE legally required to inform police officers that you're carrying a firearm.

This is even more relevant now with Maine's (almost) Constitutional Carry Law. If you are carrying without a permit, you are required to inform said LEO.

Living in NH but travel frequently to MA we make sure we do a thorough check when we get in the car to head south. Make sure we remove the arm rest pistol, her ccw from her purse and any loose spent brass in the truck bed. I do, however, keep an extra killy looking AR 15 water gun on the floor of the back seat. I keep hoping to get the opportunity to refuse the illegal search to see what happens when he proceeds anyway. [grin]

RMV and LTC info are somehow linked to each other. I worked with a few cops who confirmed it. They said they could even go as far as pulling up all the guns you have fa10'd on their cruiser computer during a simple traffic stop.

Interesting how the RMV is somehow tied to the fa10 system.

When they run your information from the Cruiser, they're using the CJIS System, which also has access to your LTC and associated information. Probably linked by your SSN or something.

Yes, but he still needs a reasonable excuse to search the car and driver. Smelling pot is a reasonable excuse. Suspicious behavior is a reasonable excuse. Being a lawfully licensed gun owner is not a reasonable excuse.

Pot is ok ... the odor of marijuana is not enough to search in Massachusetts and Arizona.

question:
if one says to the office "am I being detained, am i free to go", and the officer replies "you are bring detained", what is the next step?
"I respectfully exercise my right to remain silent and do not consent to searches. I will obey your orders, but please do not confuse that with consent to a search as it is not. What do you want me to do now?".

Best face the dash cam and articulate this slowly and clearly.

The time I spent in Europe last April did not show any LE that looked anything like that. Not even close.

yea, I think I saw this scene on tube site, while doing research for a school paper...

How many of you recommending the "am I free to go?" routine have ever actually done this during a traffic stop? How did it go for you?

I'm genuinely curious.
if the cop starts off like a dick head and you know you're getting a ticket, it might be the best route to go and ask for a supervisor if he keeps on his track of warrantless searches. I got my dashcam mounted to my mirror. Still need to mount the rear cam because it requires its own power source. I believe in CT there there is no expectation of privacy in a public contact with police. I will keep it rolling. Only need to wire up a constant source with a manual switch and not use the CIG lighter because it key off.

I used to be all "Am I being detained" shit when I lived behind the Iron Curtain. I've changed my opinion on police quite a bit, and I think it has to do with the cops out here not having to enforce laws that are totally egregious like they are in Massachusetts. We've got Constitutional Carry and most cops I interact with are country boys that are all about the 2A.

These stories remind me of my recent Michigan trip - as I was about to head out the door, I felt something in my shirt pocket... turned out to be a .22LR round that I stuck in my pocket at the range at some point. Quite unnerving to think that it could've landed me in jail if I hadn't found it and left it at home (in its original container, locked up, obviously [rolleyes])

The time I spent in Europe last April did not show any LE that looked anything like that. Not even close.
Go to Israel - IDF chicks are smokin' hawt

These stories remind me of my recent Michigan trip - as I was about to head out the door, I felt something in my shirt pocket... turned out to be a .22LR round that I stuck in my pocket at the range at some point. Quite unnerving to think that it could've landed me in jail if I hadn't found it and left it at home (in its original container, locked up, obviously [rolleyes])

Go to Israel - IDF chicks are smokin' hawt

I am in MI right now. Born here and visiting family. NH resident now.

Checked two firearms on my trip. The concern is always there that I will have a round on me..

Back on topic.. Reading this thread makes me want a blue gun when I travel in MA. Not armed officer. I carry this so my pants
fit right.

Last edited:
Yes, but he still needs a reasonable excuse to search the car and driver. Smelling pot is a reasonable excuse. Suspicious behavior is a reasonable excuse. Being a lawfully licensed gun owner is not a reasonable excuse.

smelling pot is NOT a reasonable excuse in MA since small amounts of pot are not criminal.

To the OP, my standard offer. I can look into this very discreetly if youd like. I can find out if this is one of the freshly minted troopers that just got his license to solo, or hes an old timer. I can also find out if your buddy embellished his tale just a little bit for flourish.
This is something I enjoy doing; either exposing an ******* cop, or an ******* friend, so if your buddy says hed rather not, feel free to pass that along. If hes concerned that my discreet interroggative may blackball him, I assure you, it wont.

smelling pot is NOT a reasonable excuse in MA since small amounts of pot are not criminal.

The odor of burned or unburned marijuana is not PC for a search.
It has been articulated that a "heavy", or "extremely strong" odor of unburned marijuana is still PC, even with the law change.

The MA SJC has explicitly ruled such in Commonwealth v. Overmyer

The court also held that:

In sum, we are not confident, at least on this record, that a human nose can discern reliably the presence of a criminal amount of marijuana, as distinct from an amount subject only to a civil fine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The odor of burned or unburned marijuana is not PC for a search.
It has been articulated that a "heavy", or "extremely strong" odor of unburned marijuana is still PC, even with the law change.
"It has been articulated" could mean anything from a binding court decision to someone simply arguing a point. Is there any case law beyond the SJC decision on this issue?

Last edited:
When they run your information from the Cruiser, they're using the CJIS System, which also has access to your LTC and associated information. Probably linked by your SSN or something.

It's probably by getting a name/address/DOB match. Even just name and DOB would be enough in most cases.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, I was taught this in the academy

ok, so it is legit. thanks for confirming. I've never seen a LEO do it to my car or anyone elses, though.

RMV and LTC info are somehow linked to each other. I worked with a few cops who confirmed it. They said they could even go as far as pulling up all the guns you have fa10'd on their cruiser computer during a simple traffic stop.

Interesting how the RMV is somehow tied to the fa10 system.

Ever get a PIN over the phone from CJIS? They usually use your MA DL to confirm your identity. So it's pretty obvious their systems are joined at the hip somehow. Probably has something to do with CJIS housing criminal records as well as LTC data. Yeah it gives me warm fuzzies that we're basically another table next to diddlers, etc.

Last time I was pulled over it never came up. It was perfect behavior on the LEO's part.
Framingham cop got me for 35 in a 25. He had to have seen the GOAL and Comm2a stickers on the back, had to have seen my LTC when I was pulling out my license. He gave me a written warning and the subject simply never came up.

So.. Just out of curiosity.. What is the proper procedure for handling this? You're on the way back from the range with a trunk full o'gun. You get pulled over by this exact officer. Do you have any guns in the car? "Ummm, yes.. 3 ar15, 4 revolvers, 500 rounds of ammo...", or "I don't consent to my vehicle being searched." Or...
I got stopped by MSP in a station wagon going 81 in a 55 about 10 years ago coming back from a match. Had two Garands and couple hundred rounds. Gave him my licenses told him they were there: you could see the soft cases through the anyway.

No ticket, on my way in five minutes. YMMV. We have a hatchback, wagon and minivan so no locked trunk is available.

Back
Top Bottom