• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

traditional blackpowder hunting in MA?

May be moving to Boston area soon for work. I am an avid traditional blackpowder shooter. No inlines or scopes! Flint only! Are there any other traditional shooters out there that can recommend areas to hunt or even places just to shoot year-round? Appreciate any help.

thanks

QUOTE=magyar;1996320]May be moving to Boston area soon for work. I am an avid traditional blackpowder shooter. No inlines or scopes! Flint only! Are there any other traditional shooters out there that can recommend areas to hunt or even places just to shoot year-round? Appreciate any help.

thanks[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum and the state (if that applies). There is a lot of good deer hunting in the eastern part of the state. Doe tags for that area are available by lottery (application deadline is in July) but also for most of the eastern zones you can buy them over the counter until the quota has been reached for that zone.

Goex and Swiss can be hard to find here. It will not be on the shelf, you have to ask as there are special storage requirements in MA. I get mine at Nicks Sporting Goods in Palmer. You can also ask the muzzleloading guys/girls at teh club you join. They often put together group buys and order it by the case.

There are not a lot of trad guys left. Most hunt with the modern inline these days. I am a firm believer in that anyone should hunt with what ever legal weapon they want but I wish that the muzzleloader season was restricted to primitive weapons only. There is just no substitute for doing it the old fashioned way IMO.

You can find a lot of good info here about the Wildlife Managment Areas (WMA's):
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/recreation/hunting/hunting_home.htm

Bob

Welcome,

This year you can start hunting on Nov 28 with your muzzleloader, along with the shotgunners. No rifles for deer in MA. Then, after Dec 10, when the scattergun season ends, you can continue hunting with blackpowder until Dec 31! Oh, BTW, no hunting on Sundays [frown]. (yet!)[wink]

Back
Top Bottom