Touching Up Wood

I got my SA Garand from CMP a few weeks ago, and it came with a brand new mint stock. Somewhere along the way, I managed to nick the wood causing this small scratch. I have no idea how I did it, I just noticed it one day. It is not a big deal, but the rest of the wood is flawless, so it is sort of driving me crazy. Any ideas on how to make it a little less obvious? The picture actually makes it look worse than it is.

SAM1Garand042.jpg

If the scratch is an indentation you can use steam to raise it. I've tried it in the past and it does work. You put a wet rag over the area and pass an iron over it until the wood slightly swells where the indentation is.

If its just a scratch that is lighter than the rest of the stock, you can use some boiled linseed oil to darken it up by rubbing in a small amount to that area of the stock. US military rifle stocks were usually finished with BLO.

Or you can use colored wood pencils. I've used standard ones from my daughter's drawing kit with good results but they also sell ones just for touching up furniture. Home Depot and Lowes usually stock them.

Back
Top Bottom