Too many guns?

My friend bought 4 guns in the last 3 weeks and is worried someone may come questioning... has anyone had any experience with this? When does the ATF stark knockin' on the front door?

My friend bought 4 guns in the last 3 weeks and is worried someone may come questioning... has anyone had any experience with this? When does the ATF stark knockin' on the front door?

Oh man, you're screwed... whoops, I mean "your friend".

seriously, should not be a problem.

Holy crap! He bought more than one gun a week? I think that might be some kind of felony. Tell him to call a lawyer immediately! The BATF does not joke around.

I love trolls [smile]

IF a multiple handgun purchase form was filled out (unsure of whether one was needed based upon your post) there is only a small chance that ATF will follow up.

They generally only follow up if there were multiples of the same gun (unless they are a matched set/collectible in nature) or there is another underlying circumstance.

Yeah you better make sure you get rid of them quick. I'm actually a licensed ATF "too many gun taker backer" I'll gladly take those too many guns off your hands. FREE OF CHARGE! Everyone else charges so I'll save you money and your butt cherry by not going to jail! You'd have to buy a hell of a lot more than that for the ATF to be alarmed. There's no law saying how many buys you can buy (yet). Calm the horses charlie. You'll be fine. Just don't let those 4 guns go missing or else all at once or the ATF will definately be knockin on your door and asking you questions.

The title of this post is just silly!

Indeedy. Im gonna start a post that explains how "my friend" is having too much sex. No such thing in either case. You have as much as your balls/wallet can handle. Sometimes these cases aren't mutually exclusive but that's illegal! [smile]

You can never be too rich, too thin or have too many guns! [smile]

True, False, Very True.

You CAN be too skinny. Google emaciated person. It's not fair to post any of their photos on here but yes you can be too skinny.

Tell Deval. He might have a coronary. Especially if "your friend" is a lawful and peaceable gun owner. [shocked]

Many more than that.
I think I beat that in 1 week. 3 in a day.

Guns are like money in the bank. They don't lose their value!

True. But they cry out to you. "Shoot me!" "There's room in this safe" "You need that Eotech" and next thing you know you are poor.

To the OP; Guns are like rabbits!

"Too many guns?"
That's the same catagory as "too much fun" or "too much sex"....

I'm currently packing up the collection and moving stuff to my family's home in PA pending our move to WV.
This week I had the safe open and stuff laid out on the bed, floor and lined up along the walls when my son and wife came in. (GULP! She's never been allowed to see inside that safe!)
My son remarked that displays like that were normally are prefaced by the words "Local authorities announced.." and "...film at Eleven."
And I own the least number of guns in my family.

IF a multiple handgun purchase form was filled out (unsure of whether one was needed based upon your post) there is only a small chance that ATF will follow up.

They generally only follow up if there were multiples of the same gun (unless they are a matched set/collectible in nature) or there is another underlying circumstance.

They don't like junkers, either. (If you buy 5 lorcins at once, expect to see feds at your door eventually.) Sometimes they come calling for other reasons. One guy on Sigforum a few years ago was profiled because of his ethnicity/name and his proximity to the US - Mexican border. The agents even told him this up front when they talked to him!! Usually once they know you're "legit" (eg, "yeah, I bought those 5 handguns for my own use..." ) they don't bother you. Sometimes they don't even bother the buyer and call the FFL first to see if the dealer knows the person (eg, is the person a "regular" or not, etc. )

The only saving grace with the MHP form crap is that from what I've heard, most of the BATFE people checking up on these are not a pain in the ass about it. That said, the requirement for these stupid forms 110% crap. It's basically de-facto federal gun registration.

-Mike

Last edited:

My friend bought two pistols at the same time and his local friend in the PD notified him he was on some type of ATF watch list or something. Probably the MHP form Mike was talking about, he said he had to fill out some extra form.....But no one ever came to his door or anything. My dealer tells me people do it all the time and never have problems....it's the ones that do 4-5 guns a week that might get a visit from the ATF. Even then, if you have all the guns and paperwork....there is nothing wrong. If your selling them....not good.

When I purchased 3 machineguns in 1 month, my police chief wanted to see me. When I explained the rising cost of transferable machineguns and said I was going to buy as many as I could before I ran out of money, he said OK asked me what I stored them in and never questioned another purchase. The ATF never questioned or denied a purchase.

I bought six at at one time without any fan fare about 4 years ago from a very well known dealer. This was about the time that the 1 gun a month noise started. Five they had to order and the sixth (a S&W stainless 1911) was an impulse buy. Happen to have a nice, sweaty wad of cash on me. They can fit three on a sheet so I had to fill out 2 forms. Not being a dealer outside of a C&R I actually asked if there was going to be an issue (i.e. a visit). Not that it mattered in any event. As was told to me at the time, no. But if I went for 7, there may be a red flag raised. As not being in the business, I couldn't say if it was b.s. or not, but they were correct in this instance as there was not an eyebrow lifted, as far as I know. To add emphisis, this was also a cash and carry deal. A good amount of cash.

Usually once they know you're "legit" (eg, "yeah, I bought those 5 handguns for my own use..." ) they don't bother you. Sometimes they don't even bother the buyer and call the FFL first to see if the dealer knows the person (eg, is the person a "regular" or not, etc. )

Correct!! The agent I work with regularly calls the FFL to see if they know the buyer and if they are a regular. If the FFL vouches the MHP gets tossed.

The only saving grace with the MHP form crap is that from what I've heard, most of the BATFE people checking up on these are not a pain in the ass about it.
Mike

Correct.... they don't like it either.

I bought two new guns tonight at the same time (G23 and Ruger LCP), oh man am I screwed! [rofl] Seriously, tell "your friend" not to worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom