TONIGHT! Last Winter Steel Plate Match @ Hopkinton March 13

This Wednesday March 13th.

Last one of the winter season. Come work out the cobwebs before spring springs!

Steel plate match @ Hopkinton Sportsmen ! 3/13/2013

Hopkinton Sportsmen's Association
95 Lumber St, Hopkinton, MA 01748-230
Date: Wednesday 3/13/13.

Time: 6:00 PM till everyone is out of money or ammo.

The match: $3.00 per entry; 8 man relays; $6.00 - winner; $3 - Second place.

The targets: five 8 Inch Plates; 2 side by side racks. Man on man. 8 person elimination "pyramid". Relay winners will get an extra target for subsequent entries.

Equipment: Any safe handgun 38/9MM or larger; semi or revolver.

Procedure: Muzzle on table, finger off trigger, Timer/buzzer start.

Safety: IPSC/IDPA - Safety table, Firearms in holster or "bagged" No handling of firearms other than on the firing line or the safety area.

Come on down and have some fun. Bring lots of ammo. We keep shooting as long as people want to sign up.
We run primarily iron sighted guns but if enough people (8) bring an "Open" Division gun for a relay, then we will run 1 or 2.

Looks like we'll run at least one revolver relay as well.

Chinese food afterwards for those who want. [smile]

Last edited:
I'm going to try to make this one. Non-members are allowed to attend, correct?

Never done this but might swing by to watch

watch? why to watch? Bring along a gun, some ammo, and $3 and get in the game! This is one of the most low key "competitions" you're likely to find and is a good time for all skill levels. the seeding is random and people who are having a good night and win relays get extra targets to hit to even things out a bit....an all around good time IMO [wink]

Not in the least. If you notice you lost, you can finish your magazine or stop, up to you. The last one was my first time, and after all the really really good guys went home, I ended up winning a relay.

I think there 13 or 14 relays that night

Well it sounds like it's a relay, in other words my performance affects the others?

No sir, it's not relay as in relay race where you hand off to a teammate....think of that basketball bracket thing that everyone seems so excited about every year. a "relay" is one bracket that starts with 8 shooters and eventually whittles down to 1 winner. $3 gets you in a relay and if you win your first head to head matchup then you move on and shoot again the next slot against another heat winner. person who wins the whole relay gets $6 and an extra target on future relays, runner-up gets their $3 back. sign up for as many relays as you like. we get started around 6 and usually shoot for a couple of hours but it depends on attendance. use the time between your turns to meet new people and BS about whatever and if you're so inclined join us for Chinese food after things are done [wink]

If anyone has wanted to get in on one of these matches but didn't due to being "not good enough" or "looking silly" or something like that my advice is to come out and give it a try. I was like that when I first got started but you will quickly see that there's nothing to be worried about. we have had relays where BOTH shooters had to reload before someone cleared a rack and those prove to be some of the more exciting ones. no one will poke fun or anything like that; you're more likely to get some tips for improvement when you head back to your bag to load mags for the next relay...and no matter how "bad" it goes I can almost guarantee you you'll be in line for the next relay [smile].

As long as you know how to handle your firearm safely you'll enjoy yourself and have a good time.

Thanks a lot for the explanation and encouragement. I'll bring my 9mm & some ammo and we'll see how it goes :). Kinda wish the NES Name Tags were ready so I can wear mine lol

Thanks a lot for the explanation and encouragement. I'll bring my 9mm & some ammo and we'll see how it goes :). Kinda wish the NES Name Tags were ready so I can wear mine lol

Peter "Bostonbullit" will be taking your money and writing your name down. David "Ghettomedic" will be the Range Officer on the left table, I'll be the guy in the center calling the line and painting the plates between relays. Feel free to introduce yourself.

Peter "Bostonbullit" will be taking your money and writing your name down. David "Ghettomedic" will be the Range Officer on the left table, I'll be the guy in the center calling the line and painting the plates between relays. Feel free to introduce yourself.

Will do [grin]

I'm gonna try to make this one. I've been meaning to make it to at least one match all winter but with all this craziness going on lately and ammo being tough to find I haven't been shooting much.

A reloading setup has moved way up on my must have list.

I'll be there. I look forward to meeting some of you. Question...is there any Revolver only brackets? I might have to really work on my speedloading this week.[smile]

I'll be there. I look forward to meeting some of you. Question...is there any Revolver only brackets? I might have to really work on my speedloading this week.[smile]

we don't usually see enough wheelguns to run their own bracket unfortunately. the good news is as long as you go 1 for 1 you'll have no need to reload! [wink]

if we get a few revo guys then I can try to arrange for them to at least start out against each other. we did this last time with a bracket made of half Open guns (dots and comps) and half "regular" guns. prize match was an open against a non-open and it was a split second win for the open gun. the plates usually have a way of equaling things out [smile]

we don't usually see enough wheelguns to run their own bracket unfortunately. the good news is as long as you go 1 for 1 you'll have no need to reload! [wink]
Yes, yes...IF you go 1 for 1. We'll see.

if we get a few revo guys then I can try to arrange for them to at least start out against each other. we did this last time with a bracket made of half Open guns (dots and comps) and half "regular" guns. prize match was an open against a non-open and it was a split second win for the open gun. the plates usually have a way of equaling things out [smile]
I'll see if I can get a few more wheelgun guys. I think that would be a fun match up.

Hey guys if you have revolver with a red dot bring it ill bring mine
maybe we can run an open revolver relay!!
Scooter has one thats two we need four more!!
Jon

I have been practicing with the new (to me) S&W 625 and will be bringing it along.

There are only FIVE plates to start so you can even afford to miss once........

I "heard" there's some really good shooters there... I'm gonna look like a clown lol

I heard that they all started out the same................ Not so good.

But then they practiced and asked questions. And then practiced some more. And then they came to another match. Then they took a class or teamed up with a better shooter to get some pointers. Then they did some dry-fire at home. I think you get the point.

I'm old, (Gonna be 49 in a couple of weeks) overweight, and my eyesight is fading, yet I still manage to win once in a while.

I heard that they all started out the same................ Not so good.

But then they practiced and asked questions. And then practiced some more. And then they came to another match. Then they took a class or teamed up with a better shooter to get some pointers. Then they did some dry-fire at home. I think you get the point.

I'm old, (Gonna be 49 in a couple of weeks) overweight, and my eyesight is fading, yet I still manage to win once in a while.

Oh I follow what you're saying! And I'm on board with all of the above, joking about me looking like a clown has no bearing on my ambition [smile]! I'm excited.

Back
Top Bottom