Tomorrow is NH opening day

for pheasant, quail, grouse, chukar, partridge etc.
Miraculously I have the day off anyone know a spot I can take my first ever hunting trip?
Or does anyone want to call in sick and go along?

If I didn't have so much work to do I would take the day off an join you. I do not know which stocked spots are good for pheasant. They do list all the stocked areas on the NH state hunting site. However the locations are pretty vague. There is a spot close to me in Jaffrey but it just says "Wit Hill Rd". So I have this mile long road that I have to try and figure out where the birds are.

If you want grouse the more you go north the better luck you will have.

If I didn't have so much work to do I would take the day off an join you. I do not know which stocked spots are good for pheasant. They do list all the stocked areas on the NH state hunting site. However the locations are pretty vague. There is a spot close to me in Jaffrey but it just says "Wit Hill Rd". So I have this mile long road that I have to try and figure out where the birds are.

If you want grouse the more you go north the better luck you will have.

I doubt they stay where they are anyway.

If I didn't have to go to work, I'd say we could just chill on my balcony with some beers...

Doobie, aren't you changing jobs soon anyway?

and Derek, tell them you have very important NES business to attend to. (teaching a noob to hunt is a pressing NES issue is it not?)

I'm just kidding guys but maybe we can try another time.

I'd go, but being a contractor I have to take advantage of a rain day and install some flooring in my own house.
You can go off of 107 in Seabrook or there is a nice place in Exeter off of 101. Check out www.wildlife.state.nh.us for places to go near you.I might be able to go with you on Saturday if interested.

Doobie, aren't you changing jobs soon anyway?

and Derek, tell them you have very important NES business to attend to. (teaching a noob to hunt is a pressing NES issue is it not?)

I'm just kidding guys but maybe we can try another time.

Yes, but I have a meeting at 9am with my bosses, bosses, boss... and it is a transfer in the same company, not a new job at a new company.

Stuck home with my daughter today. She is sick so no hunting for me. I'll try again next week. If not I have a guided trip booked for the last week in October.

lsbbigdog thanks for the offer but I am working all weekend.

Pheasant. 5 friends and I are taking a day of instruction and then guided hunting with dogs on a preserve. I wanted to do it with just my brother but having more people defrayed the cost.

None of us have even shot clays let alone birds and three of the people coming are not even gun owners. We all just admitted we had always wanted to try hunting but never got around to it. This seemed like a good way.

None of us have even shot clays let alone birds and three of the people coming are not even gun owners.

I'd suggest a round for trap just to get used to the sight and sounds. Having the clay go straight away is easier than skeet. If not, you can purchase one of those hand held clay flingers and a few boxes of clays for under $20. It'll be a nice prepper for the hunt and to build excitement. The guides will go over the gun/muzzle safety with you but it's good to give the others a heads up beforehand on what to expect.

The guides are going to have us shoot 50 clays each as part of the instruction before we hunt. I'd love to shoot clays before the trip but I have a god awful work schedule and I'm not yet a member of a club with a trap/skeet range.

The guides are going to have us shoot 50 clays each as part of the instruction before we hunt. I'd love to shoot clays before the trip but I have a god awful work schedule and I'm not yet a member of a club with a trap/skeet range.

Can you post information I and some other people I know might be interested.... Do they supply shotguns/ammo or do you? How much does it cost? Ignore Derek's request for a PM and post in here [wink]

Well I already pm'ed derek, but here is the info.

I have a trip booked at Green Mountain Shooting Preserve in Ossipee.
This is what we are getting for $215 per person.
1hr of instruction on sporting clays
50 clay targets each
They are making us take instruction before we are allowed to shoot over their dogs because none of us has hunted before.
Then we are going to split into two groups of 3 and go to two separate fields, each group will have a guide and two dogs to hunt with and each field will be stocked with 6 pheasant and 6 chukar. We'll then have 3.5 hours with the guides to bag as many of the birds as we can.
They have rental guns available but I don't know the pricing.
I'm currently looking for a couple of beater shotguns to let my friends who are non gun owners use for the day. It seems like a good excuse to get ahold of a couple new guns and possibly get my friends from MA interested in getting an FID or LTC.
The website for the preserve is www.greenmountainkennels.com

If anybody has a shotgun they want to get rid of I have some things I'm trying to trade for one in the classifieds here.

Back
Top Bottom