Tommy Gun

I bought a Khar Arms 1927-A1 Thompson with the 16" barrel. I'm seriously considering turning it into a legal SBR with a 10.5" barrel. I'm looking for advice on two things. The shop I talked to recommended having them shortening and reshaping the barrel as opposed to buying a new, shorter one. Cost wise it will save a few bucks. They also recommended considering an NFA Trust.

Has anyone here had a Khar Arms Thompson barrel shortened?

What's the general thought about spending the extra money on the trust? I understand how a trust works and the benefits of them.

Any words of advice?

A trust is the only way to go when it comes to NFA stuff, provided your state recognizes revocable trusts.

Here's why:

1) no CLEO signoff
2) no fingerprints
3) no photo
4) gun can be possessed and used by any trustee listed in the trust provided they can legally possess the firearm by other means. In MA that means for a trustee to take possession
of an NFA firearm they need to have the appropriate credentials, i.e. MG license, LTC, FID, etc. Appropriate licensing is not required to be a trustee, just
required to take physical possession of the gun. In CT for example, no licensing is required to own any guns, so a trustee could take possession of any NFA item without any licenses.
I'm not sure how NH works, but this is a local thing, that I'm sure the OP is up on. MG license required? MG legal? Silencers legal?
5) ease of transition in the case of your death.
6) save money in the case of your death. Both 5 and 6 are done by simply adding the name of the person you want the guns to go to as a trustee on the trust.
7) Quicker turnaround by the ATF NFA branch on transfers because they do not have to wait for FBI fingerprints to be processed.

There are 3 ways to do a trust.

1) the quick and cheap way with Quicken Willmaker - this seems to work well enough. I might use this if I was going to simply register a couple of AR lowers (worth about $100 ea) or an inexpensive .22 can.
2) The right way with an attorney - this is a must if you are going to have some value to your trust. It minimizes the chance that at some point the trust may be declared invalid.
3) The REALLY right way with an attorney who knows about the specifics of a trust that exists for the purpose of owning firearms.

My trust falls into category 2. It was done by an attorney and I'm sure is in compliance with all requirements for it to be valid.

however for no more money, you can get a trust tailored to the unique requirements of a gun trust. I mention this to you after talking to Jeff Crown of Rocky Hill, CT. (trustlawyer.com)

Jeff is a gun nut and IDPA shooter. He's also a trust and estate attorney. He advised me that he is currently the CT representative for guntrustlawyer.com who has developed a specific trust format that maximizes your protections when your trust is used to own firearms.

I don't know who the MA or NH attorneys are. But Jeff Suggested that if I knew someone who needed to do a trust in MA or any state other than CT, i contact guntrustlawyer.com and they will give a referral to someone in whatever state you live in.

The great thing about a trust is that it makes doing a form 1 or form 4 a 15 minute affair. Not 5 hour project that involves CLEO signoff, photos and prints.

Let me know if there's anything else I can add.

Don

**edit** - I just got off the phone with guntrustlawyer.com folks and the price is $750. The process begins with them and ends with a local atty who reviews the trust for compliance with local law. I do believe this is the best way to go now. Pricing is competitive and someone I know and trust, who is a trust attorney has recommended this company.

I have confirmed that they offer this in both NH and MA.

Last edited:
Thank you Gents! I went to Stateline in Mason, NH and talked to Paul (the owner) he said they use a lawyer out of Manchester, NH that is a gun collector and he's done a few NFA trusts for folks. Sounds like he might fall into category 3 of the above. Paul said he gives first time folks a break at $350 with the idea that you'll come back if you need further gun orientated legal counsel. It sounds like this is the best way to go... It's kinda funny.... the trust fees make the overall price double, it sounds well worth it.

Remember, you only have to do a trust once, and its good forever. Its the gift that keeps on giving.

I snicker every time I read about a guy whose CLEO won't sign off. Get a trust!!!! Then you can send him a link to a youtube video of you mowing down trees with your M16, and there's nothing he can do about it.
(warning, the above statement does not apply to MA residents, since he could pull your LTC, MG license, or FId)

There's also a feeling of superiority when you can knock off a Form 1 to register an AR in about 15 minutes.

Don

I think you'd be a lot better off buying a tommy gun pistol and then sbr'ing it to add a stock. It would be a lot better result and WAAAAAYYY cheaper.

If the newer Tommy are like the old ones there was/ is a major issue with the way the front site is attached to the gun threading/ headspacing and getting the sites to be straight. So replacing barrels was a very labor intensive procedure (read as $$$).

Too late... [wink] From what I understand, the TA5 (Thompson pistol) is designed to not accept a stock so I'm sure there'd be some some gunsmithing needed there. With the long barrel being cut and reshaped, there's no need to headspace. The shop has done a couple already so I'll let them deal with reattaching the front sight and compensator. It can't be that big of a deal... The total cost on removing the barrel, cutting the barrel, reinstalling the barrel and the sight and compensator is only $150.

Guntrustlawyer.com is the Apple law firm. They occasionally run specials for $500. I bet you could talk them down. I used them for mine and was very pleased.

Back
Top Bottom