Told by gun shop I cannot use Centerfire Rifle scope on .22 only Rimfire Scope

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
I was told by one of the salesmen at Northeast Trading that I cannot use a centerfire rifle scope on a .22 and the sharp crack and different recoil will destroy a centerfire scope, that only rimfire scopes should be used.
I have never heard this before and on my 3 .22's with scopes, I have 2 Tasco's and one Bushnell and have no idea if they are rimfire or not.

I thought that maybe it was because I was teasing the salesman about being a Marine [wink]

What is the word on the scopes

I was told by one of the salesmen at Northeast Trading that I cannot use a centerfire rifle scope on a .22 and the sharp crack and different recoil will destroy a centerfire scope, that only rimfire scopes should be used.
I have never heard this before and on my 3 .22's with scopes, I have 2 Tasco's and one Bushnell and have no idea if they are rimfire or not.

I thought that maybe it was because I was teasing the salesman about being a Marine [wink]

What is the word on the scopes
[rofl][rofl] Stay FAR, FAR away!!

The salesman may have been confusing rimfire with air rifle scopes. Springer air rifles have a sharp recoil forward (opposite of normal recoil) that, so the legend goes, will damage non-air rifle scopes.

At one time, spring piston air rifles would damage firearm scopes because of the forward recoil but I've read that scopes are now reinforced to handle recoil in both directions. Many rimfire rifles have grooves on the top of the reciever to mount a scope and these grooves are not wide enough to accept centerfire rings. They use 3/8" rimfire rings. Maybe that's what he was talking about.

Isn't Northeast Trading the place that has Martha C on speed dial?

Ya that place is awesome[puke] I used to live not so far from there and being a younger person when I was going there I would be followed around the store and evil eyed like I was gonna steal everything in the place. That and every question or comment I made I was always wrong just because I was young. They will never get any of my business.

I used to buy a good amount of my reloading supplies there before the whole Bass Pro mess hit. Never had a problem with the people there, but then again I never bought a firearm there either. Never found what I would consider a good price on anything they had. After the whole snitching thing happened I decided I wouldn't spend any more of my money there. Lucky for me that was right around the time that First Defense opened down the street from my house in Uxbridge. Haven't been back since. Not sure how Trader's business suffered around that time, but I guess not bad as he's still in business. To bad.

Every time I hear someone talk about NET all I can think of is Sean Connery delivering this line...

"I've smelled that aftershave before and both times I smelled a rat."

-Mike

You guys do know that some rifles recoil forward right?

Airguns, sure, because of the spring... on the other hand, 99% of all conventional firearms don't, though. Even the best muzzle brakes, etc, can't defy the laws of physics. Joe average's .22, though, certainly isn't going to have much recoil, in any direction, never mind forward.

-Mike

Airguns, sure, because of the spring... on the other hand, 99% of all conventional firearms don't, though. Even the best muzzle brakes, etc, can't defy the laws of physics. Joe average's .22, though, certainly isn't going to have much recoil, in any direction, never mind forward.

-Mike

I would disagree. The ar10 for example has 3 distinct different recoil pulses. 2 to the rear and 1 forward. But then again I am probably full of shit.

I transferred two guns through the shop before the scandal, had no issues with service, prices or Ted, but he had a kid working behind the counter making veiled white supremacy comments on my 2nd (and last) visit.

I would disagree. The ar10 for example has 3 distinct different recoil pulses. 2 to the rear and 1 forward. But then again I am probably full of shit.

Well, since the argument the sales critter made was: "a centerfire scope will be broken by the recoil on a .22", wouldn't the fact that a centerfire scope won't be broken on your unsually recoliing ar10, kinda hint that a centerfire scope just might be able to withstand the incredible stresses imposed by a .22 rifle?

Unless your ar10 is maybe modified to shoot .22?

Perhaps your salesman is dyslexic and heard that a rimfire/cheap scope might be trashed if you put it on a high powered centerfire, and just repeats the story backwards.

Back
Top Bottom