• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tokarev fell apart at the range today.

It could have been way worse...

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...rev-major-malfunction&highlight=tokarev+blown

I shot my Romanian TTC at the range this past Sunday. I have a bunch of surplus 1953 Bulgarian 7.62 Tok ammo. It's pretty hot stuff but you can actually tell the difference in loads between rounds. Some are a little quieter and have less of a muzzle flash than others. Almost every case that ejects has a crack at the neck. Before I throw a few hundred rounds into a sandwich bag to bring to the range, I take each round out of the paper 16 round packs from the tin and inspect it. A small amount of them already have cracks at the neck from the factory so those get tossed aside.

It's a good idea to buy a fresh recoil spring from Wolff for these guns. It amazes me that they don't sell an extra power one. Even with a brand new recoil spring, when you retract the slide on a Tok it just feels like it should be a stouter spring considering the round being fired. A CZ52 with a brand new spring feels much heavier when you pull the slide back.

If you are going to be buying surplus ammo, stay the hell away from any Bulgarian with a 1952 headstamp. There are lots of batches from that year that have been know to blow up Toks and CZ's. There has been a lot of talk on other forums that folks should just steer clear of any Bulgarian 7.62x25 but all the research I've done tells me all the other manufacture years besides '52 are fine to shoot. I bought my current bulk of '53 from a member here not long ago. It's been running fine in my TTC. I just sold my CZ52 last night because I like shooting the Tok much more. The CZ52 is a cool gun but I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with mine. The TTC at least I can put rounds into a paper plate group at 25 yards.

Just received my new firing pin and retainer pin in the mail today. Took a few minutes to install and everything looks good from what I can tell without shooting it. If I push on the firing pin with my finger it protrudes just enough to hit the primer. So I think I should be good. I'll update once I get to the range at some point to test it.

Quick shipping from gunpartswarehouse. Thanks for the link mac. Ordered on Sunday and arrived today.

Just received my new firing pin and retainer pin in the mail today. Took a few minutes to install and everything looks good from what I can tell without shooting it. If I push on the firing pin with my finger it protrudes just enough to hit the primer. So I think I should be good. I'll update once I get to the range at some point to test it.

Quick shipping from gunpartswarehouse. Thanks for the link mac. Ordered on Sunday and arrived today.

They have always done well by me. Also call them if you don't see something you need.

Update: snuck out to the range on this cold windy day and shot the last 50 rounds of PPU I had. No issues at all. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that this new firing pin holds up for a while with my reloads.

Any chance of a photo(s) of the part that failed?

Any chance of a photo(s) of the part that failed?

I believe it was the firing pin retainer pin on the slide (which holds the firing pin in place) that failed. It wasn't very tight and slowly slid out under the recoil then finally the firing pin shot out (since it's under compression from the firing pin spring) and I was unable to find it at the range.

If you look at the third photo, it's the little pin you can see in the slide. Also look at the link in post #9 which has a parts drawing. It's part number 10.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom