Todd's semi-retarded cousin - Dodd

JimConway

Instructor
I while back I started a thread about Todd - Your Worst Nightmare.
Now I am pleased to intriduce you to his semi-retarded cousin - Dodd

I'm sure we've all heard of crimes of such a kind that they simply made us think WTF!? You know, really braindead things that a Todd wouldn't be caught dead doing. Todd is as rare as he is dangerous. What you are most likely to face is simply put; an idiot. This is a real odd character who as mentioned is a moron, but is also somehow brilliant at it. The guy who's thought process can make the most absurd and ridiculous idea seem sensible to him. Meet Dodd, Todd's semi-retarded cousin.

The relationship between us, Todd and Dodd embodies Murphy's immortal words. "Professionals are predictable, but the world is full of amateurs."

Any time you hear of a crime so outrageously stupid or pointless that you simply can't figure out how the hell it made sense to the guy who did it, you've seen a Dodd in action. He is the guy you hear about who maimed or killed his ex because she broke up with him. The guy who murdered someone for no good reason at all. He may even have had a cunning plan, which of course was ridiculous and didn't get him off the hook at all. He is the guy speeding while drunk, cooking up braindead schemes to kill some relative for insurance or whatever. Simply put; the stupid, incompetent and impulsive criminal.

What makes him worty of attention is first of all that he is everywhere. Secondly, his warped thought process has him do things you won't even consider, which effectively leads him through a hole in your awareness (which you will have unless you're actively factoring in people's potential of stupidity). And thirdly, although he is a far cry from Todd, he can be just as dangerous due to his erratic and irrational thoughts and behavior. And let's not forget, you may know him, or her...

The key to dealing with Dodd, is to be just slightly more insane than he is, then you see everything coming 10 minutes in advance!

I agree just a bit. At the speeed that assaults develop, you will nover have 10 minutes, with a lot of awareness, a major dose of luck, and fervent prayer that Mr. Murphy does not show up, you may have 30 seconds.

Just as a FYI, Southnarc just released his latest DVD. The following is a bit of a review:-
"The information presented regarding the context of criminal assault is solid gold. Though the information has been presented in appreviated form in the past DVD's I found the more in depth approach to be helpful and I did pick up some new information or at least new perspective that I hadn't gained previously.

I think you guys definetly raised the bar with the visuals and the production quality vs. previous efforts. I think the backdrop being in context with the material added a lot.

My only criticism is this. I think that for consumers that don't follow the forum closely and didn't already know that this DVD is mostly pre-fight material they are going to be dissapointed with the limited amount of time spent on hard skills. A good way to alleviate this might have been a different title such as "Criminal Assault Paradigm" or something similar. I think the PUC title gives joe average the impression that he's buying a Kelly McCann style presentation w/ 80% hard technique and 20% percent context instead of the reverse.

That being said I think this DVD really covered ground that hasn't been adequately addressed by any other material that I'm aware of. All in all I was extremely satisfied with the product and feel it was money well spent.
You can get it from eric at http://www.mdtactical.com/shivworks.htm for $39.00 plus shipping.

I went to his course last year and will again this year. Southnarc is in a word outstanding and no one covers the material that he does.

BTW, I just ordered my copy today to go with the rest of his CDs. These are the CDs that I watch most often.

I've found that most people don't want to hear about lights, locks, cleaning the house, gardening ideas and other non-gun stuff when they ask that "how should I...?" question.

Unfortunately, the non-gun stuff is the stuff that will likely never have you targeted in the first place.

And thirdly, although he is a far cry from Todd, he can be just as dangerous due to his erratic and irrational thoughts and behavior. And let's not forget, you may know him, or her...

I have to disagree here, Jim. In this case, Dodd, is actually more dangerous than Todd.

His erratic and irrational thoughts make him unpredictable. And these type of thugs can and will strike without warning.

At least the Todds of this world will at least weigh the cost vs. benefits before striking.

Why else would a 17 year old gang banger from Lawrence (about 150lbs soaking wet) try to sucker punch me in a cell, behind closed doors. He almost went from a Dodd to a Darwin Award candidate with one left hook.

I've found that most people don't want to hear about lights, locks, cleaning the house, gardening ideas and other non-gun stuff when they ask that "how should I...?" question.

Unfortunately, the non-gun stuff is the stuff that will likely never have you targeted in the first place.

+1 One of the more discouraging things I've learned over about 20 years of teaching is that there are at least a hundred people interested in learning how to shoot defensively for every one interested in learning how to protect themselves and their families. You have a damn hard time convincing most of those hundred that the two aren't synonymous or that they don't already know everything about the second. Sort of like they guy who smokes in bed and leaves campfires unattended, but takes pride in his skill with a fire extinguisher and all the training he's had in using one. [rolleyes]

Ken

The Bane Dangerous factor

The Bane Dangerous Factor was named after the gun writer - Michael Bane. The Bane Dangerous Factor states that the more often a person tells you that how dangerous they are, the less dangerous they actually are. The more direct the statement is the greater the negative impact. Michael Bane once stated - "The third time this guy told me how dangerous he was, I knew that my attack trained beagle could take him"

During my lifetime I have known quite a few Been there - Done that guys. Included in this list have been Navy Seals, Special Forces, a Sniper in Vietnam with a unnamed group, and SAS members. One of the most common traits of all these men was that they never claimed to be dangerous. To get them to even mention any of the dangerous situations that they were involved in was almost impossible.

I have also meet a few guys that claimed to have served in one or another of the Special Forces branches. These guys constantly talked about their experiences in an effort to impress anyone willing to listen. After a bit of checking through friends that were real, I found that these guys were in the special forces but their duties were limited to support roles and they had never been "tabbed"

I have read some posts where the authors have claimed to be very dangerous.
Are you one of these people?

Musta looked like a moped trying to take on a Kenworth...

Why else would a 17 year old gang banger from Lawrence (about 150lbs soaking wet) try to sucker punch me in a cell, behind closed doors. He almost went from a Dodd to a Darwin Award candidate with one left hook.

Todd vs. Dodd

I have to disagree here, Jim. In this case, Dodd, is actually more dangerous than Todd.

His erratic and irrational thoughts make him unpredictable. And these type of thugs can and will strike without warning.
At least the Todds of this world will at least weigh the cost vs. benefits before striking.

Scott, we could argue about who is the most dangerous. The only real answer is that they both are very dangerous for different reasons.
There are very few Todds in this world and they tend to blend in. For the most part we do not notice them as quickly. They, as you point out, think before they strike. If they strike, they know that they will win, because they have the skills and has passed the test many times.
Dodd, on the other hand, is erratic and irrational and will strike without warning (as you said). We are far more likely to meet Dodd that Todd, because there are more of them. Dodd, because of his lack of training, is a bit easier to spot and he does not mask his intentions as well as Todd. A typical Dodd will often give many clues to his impending attack.

With Dodd your best bet is awareness.
With Todd your best bet is not to be there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom