To all my fellow LEOs

Kisspik002

NES Member
Whether your in a cruiser or walking the tiers I wish all my fellow LEOs a wonderful and merry christmas. It's not always easy being away from our families on holidays but we remember why we do what we do.

Again Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

That goes to our brothers and sisters in the Military, Fire Depts, and EMS.

Well given the extremely generous benefits that many public safety employees enjoy in Massachusetts, I'm not heart broken over the fact that some people in that sector have to work today in our great Commonwealth. How many are doing OT, or signed up to work the holidays for a special incentive? I get tired of the self serving back patting sometimes.

Now some 19 year old PFC in a FOB in Afghanistan is a different story...maybe...

This is what public service is all about, it comes with the territory and in this territory of MA it is hard for me, anyway, to be too empathetic.

Mark L.
20 Years Active Duty US Army
15 Years in Public Safety
(and yes I have worked holidays including Christmas for both employers...)

Last edited:
Just got off the midnight shift. I got to watch the good people on the other side of the fence get drunk and shoot bottle rockets at my truck all night while playing Christmas songs in Spanish. Such a festive people, lol.

Honestly, you couldn't pay me enough to miss holidays and birthdays with my kids and family. My best friend is having the first Christmas at home with his daughters in 20 years. I've had every holiday and birthday with my kids since they were born, and I make a hell of a lot more money. Thanks guy for doing your job.

Well given the extremely generous benefits that many public safety employees enjoy in Massachusetts, I'm not heart broken over the fact that some people in that sector have to work today in our great Commonwealth. How many are doing OT, or signed up to work the holidays for a special incentive? I get tired of the self serving back patting sometimes.
Fair 'nuff.

Then don't thank us. Thank our families who have do without us on the holidays and don't necessarily benefit from our "extremely generous benefits". [rolleyes]

I'm sure my family would much rather me do something else all year round.
Now some 19 year old PFC in a FOB in Afghanistan is a different story...maybe...
...absolutely...

Just got off the midnight shift. I got to watch the good people on the other side of the fence get drunk and shoot bottle rockets at my truck all night while playing Christmas songs in Spanish. Such a festive people, lol.

I just wanted to watch the Mexican chicas strut around in their clubbing attire at the port of entry. Does that count?

And you have the nerve to ask to get paid for this???

J/K.

This is what public service is all about, it comes with the territory and in this territory of MA it is hard for me, anyway, to be too empathetic.

Mark L.

Funny, the guy that hit 3 parked cars, with a mailbox from 2 towns over wedged under his car and vomit running down his shirt said almost the same thing!

I love the holidays!

Meh. It was part of the job when I applied. Other than the times special days (holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, etc.) randomly fell on my days off, the only times I've ever had one of those days off in my adult life were the 3 years I worked in the private sector after getting out of the Army.

Given how many people get pink slips for Christmas, I would not want to go back.

People make choices, and choices have consequences. The benefits outweigh the consequences, or we would choose the other way.

I was thrilled to video chat with my wife and kids this morning while they opened presents half a continent away, and then I went to work. We made choices for the long haul, and we're happy with that.

Mark L.

well mark to be honest I wasn't complaining about working the holidays. All I did was wish everyone a great and happy holiday. Being former military and public safety you should know more than anyone that it sucks to be away from family during the holidays whether overseas or walking the beat, regardless "if it comes with the territory" or regardless the "benefits". Second we do deserve all those benefits and more, our military men and women deserve much more too. So NO back patting here pal...I love what I do and wouldn't change it for the world. Just wished my fellow brothers and sister in uniform a merry christmas

Honestly, you couldn't pay me enough to miss holidays and birthdays with my kids and family. My best friend is having the first Christmas at home with his daughters in 20 years. I've had every holiday and birthday with my kids since they were born, and I make a hell of a lot more money. Thanks guy for doing your job.

This

I want to say thanks as well.

Just an FYI, you only missed Fruit Cake that could be used to construct a castle, my mom describing every pain in her body (ad naseum), turkey so dry I coughed up a dust devil, and the best fish tie a man could ever get!

That being said I know you wouldn't miss it if you had the chance. So Happy Holidays!

Back
Top Bottom