Tips on securing your home......

What's the rough price on that stuff? All I could find on the site was instructions to measure all the windows you wanted treated and then email them and wait for them to call.

The product i used wasn't "shatterguard" but the same stuff from a different company. I have two brothers that are in the glass/tint/windshield business. My older brother had some samples (2 rolls) at the shop he worked. the two rolls was enough for all my first floor windows, and the back windows at my parents house.

IIRC, I think the cost was about $40 per window if you had to buy it

I was wondering about that window security film stuff, almost bought it a while back. I was hesitating because I realize it'd only strengthen the glass. The glass is still contained within little wooden panes. How easy would the wood break, or the glass break away from the wood? Never having been a burglar, I'm not exactly sure what to expect with their techniques and what they do if they encounter glass that doesn't shatter as expected.

There are lots of preventative measures to take. Lights and dogs are great, but if it happens you are unlikely to be able to stop it unless you have your gun on your person.

Still trying to teach the dog to shoot. Taking a lot of time but it will still be the best of both worlds. Food dish near the door and I pity the person that tries to touch her food.[shocked]

The product i used wasn't "shatterguard" but the same stuff from a different company. I have two brothers that are in the glass/tint/windshield business. My older brother had some samples (2 rolls) at the shop he worked. the two rolls was enough for all my first floor windows, and the back windows at my parents house.

IIRC, I think the cost was about $40 per window if you had to buy it

Wow, if that's true, it's short money! I'll email them for an estimate, thanks!

Stealth Ninja Cat!

funny-pictures-ambush-cat.jpg

Three guns located around the house in very quick access.
One on me.
Alarm system in house.
Automatic security lighting.
Police officer next door neighbor's crusier in driveway!

watching tv the other night, I hear the 'chime' on the alarm system as an outside door opens. My 17yo hadn't locked the door behind her and didn't tell me one of her friends was 10 minutes behind her either. The friend walked right in the mudroom door, I confronted her as she entered the next room!...."Do not walk in my house, you could be shot!" Then I exploded on the daughter.

To be the devil's advocate, this sounds like good fodder for the anti's for reasons civilians should not be armed. I'm sure your daughter and her friend were not impressed.

Again, I'm just the messenger here, and maybe something was lost in your translation also. I'd rather have just explained to them both that you are very security conscious and you prefer they use the doorbell.

If it were me, our doors are always open to friends, neighbors, relatives, etc. and there is coffee to be put on just seconds away. I must be old fashioned.

Coyote - I don't think you're old fashioned. When I own my own home, I think I'll live similarly. There's being constantly aware, and then there's being constantly scared/paranoid, and I really don't want to cross the line into the latter (not that Palladin necessarily has, but I'm sure some who aren't as "understanding" would probably think so).

I have a mini-dachshound that will bark at anyone at the door. Not really a help beyond our 'alarm system". I have two loaded pistols in quick access safes also.

Hi Hiker, Just checked out their site. The whole house system looks pretty interesting, For fear of being nosy, do you use any of their products?

I've used x10 in the past and well, I hate their products. They are cheap junk that work, when they want to and not when you want them to. I used to use it to turn lights on/off, well I usually had to end up getting up to turn them off or on.

The front door would be the quickest except I have this neat little door blocking device attached to the floor with 4" screws. It'd stop a kick-in and would require a real battering ram, or some time with pry bars.
Got a name for this device, or a link? Sounds interesting.
If it were me, our doors are always open to friends, neighbors, relatives, etc. and there is coffee to be put on just seconds away. I must be old fashioned.
I have friends whose door is always unlocked. I knock, open the door and call out a hello. (I don't bother to explain just how bad their security is; they wouldn't get it, I think.)

If I didn't live where I live, I might do the same... but if I hear the door open and do NOT hear a cheery "Hello!", the next sound that would be heard would be the snap on my holster being unsnapped...

I've used x10 in the past and well, I hate their products. They are cheap junk that work, when they want to and not when you want them to. I used to use it to turn lights on/off, well I usually had to end up getting up to turn them off or on.

Thanks for the reply doob. I sort of figured it fell under the "get what you paid for" banner, but always interested in first hand accounts. Thanks again for your time.

Yep, Taylor Brothers Door Lock:

http://www.taylorbrothersdoorlock.com/

That, plus a deadbolted steel door (preferably with security strike plate using 4" screws into the frame) and its not going anywhere quickly. Bad Guy will have to break the frame apart and make a lot of noise.

Of course, so would firefighters. This taylorbrothers thing looks pretty decent other than the fire hazard problem. In fact, it would be nice to see this same thing in a full length version with a little vinyl face strip as a good weatherseal for keeping out the cold drafts at night. Could be a nice second product for them. (-;

Yep, Taylor Brothers Door Lock:

http://www.taylorbrothersdoorlock.com/

That, plus a deadbolted steel door (preferably with security strike plate using 4" screws into the frame) and its not going anywhere quickly. Bad Guy will have to break the frame apart and make a lot of noise.

The door club may be better:
http://www.securityworld.com/pc-1587-123-the-door-club-1-pack.aspx

Plus it's reversible so you can open the door a crack to talk to people yet still be protected

Last edited:
Of course, so would firefighters. This taylorbrothers thing looks pretty decent other than the fire hazard problem.

If my house was on fire, I'd let the firefighters in. [laugh] The smoke detectors would alert me and I'd have the door unlocked long before they got here.

To be the devil's advocate, this sounds like good fodder for the anti's for reasons civilians should not be armed. I'm sure your daughter and her friend were not impressed.

Again, I'm just the messenger here, and maybe something was lost in your translation also. I'd rather have just explained to them both that you are very security conscious and you prefer they use the doorbell.

I suppose it all depends on where you live also. If you live in say Roxbury, New Bedford,etc you may not want to be to "old fashioned".

While reading the current thread on Home Invasions I thought it would be interesting to see what measures people take to secure there homes.

I have been meaning to put motion lights in the front and back of my home for a while now. Just not sure the best way to do this (backyard has flood lights and front yard has light a post). I'll welcome suggestions on this.

Anyways, post some of the things you've done, plan to do, known someone to do, contemplated doing or just plain good ideas in securing your home from an invasion.

Good home security, as with any, is layered. Depending on a gun as your first and last layer, is a mistake. Good locks correctly installed on good doors (I'm amazed how many gun owners I know who don't have this covered), alarm systems, windows correctly secured, motion lights (which are worthless in the day time of course...) and other options make home invasion while you are in the home unlikely, and or very difficult to the invader which = time for you to evac to your locked bedroom if possible.

If it's home invasion where they get the drop on you due to answering the door or what ever, well they have just bypassed all the above in one step, so it's now self defense time, and where a good course in combat pistol/CQB may be the difference between life and death.

I saw a "It Takes a Thief" episode where they demonstrated that window film on one of those doors where there is glass on either side... First they showed how quickly anything went threw the normal window; then showed a variety of tools striking the other window. Essentially by tying the ENTIRE piece of glass together so that it can't just shatter- it really increases the effort required to bust through it. I imagine that old windows with many small pieces of glass would benefit less (since you could just bust the whole frame out) but on modern windows it was pretty impressive- there was no quick smash/unlock/open opportunity...it took effort.

I would imagine that this "effort" would be enough for many to change their mind about breaking in...

Couple of things....
1. Metal door frames for all entrances. Include the door INSIDE your garage into your home.
2. Metal door frames for your master bedroom. Now you have a quick "safe room". You can also run some chicken wire on the inside of the wall to add a to the time necessary to break through the wall if you feel the need)
3. Dead bolt on all entrances as well as your "safe room"
4. Alarm. Put a sign up, but do NOT have it mention which company. (Make sure it does not rely on your home phone but can use a wireless system. Many people who use the cable/internet/phone system don't realize that if you lose one, you loose them all with a power cut. You can get a backup power for your main system so it will work in a power outage.)
5. Motion sensors on your exterior lights. Use flood lights if possible, as well as mounting some facing the house. The ones facing the house should remove any shadows against the house giving the bad guys less of an area to hide.
6. In your "safe room", keep a charged cell phone, flashlight, first aid kit. (minimum)
7. Have a plan and make sure EVERYONE in your family knows it. (ie: burglar alarm goes off at 02:00. EVERYONE heads to the master bedroom, you secure the door with the dead bolt, call 911. smoke alarm goes off, every one leaves and meets under the big tree in the front yard.) Once you have called 911, leave the phone on so they can tape you and record you yelling that you have called the police and that you are armed. If they then try to kick down your door, you have more to back up your use of a firearm)

The biggest goal here is to get the bad guy to look at your house with the lights on, dead bolts on all doors and say "F That!" and head down the road to someone else. Next step is to keep them out and away from your family long enough for the PD to arrive. I like the idea of the shatterguard on the first floor and basement windows.

I like the idea of the shatterguard on the first floor and basement windows.

I do too. Would be interested to know what the cost is, but as it's professionally installed and a decent sized house will have a dozen or more windows to do, I have the impression it would be very expensive. Would be interested in getting a quote at least.

Back
Top Bottom