Tips on securing your home......

While reading the current thread on Home Invasions I thought it would be interesting to see what measures people take to secure there homes.

I have been meaning to put motion lights in the front and back of my home for a while now. Just not sure the best way to do this (backyard has flood lights and front yard has light a post). I'll welcome suggestions on this.

Anyways, post some of the things you've done, plan to do, known someone to do, contemplated doing or just plain good ideas in securing your home from an invasion.

one of these:
n1576006184_30071211_2785.jpg

one of these under the bed:
n1576006184_30096766_6216.jpg

and one of these on my person at all times:
n1576006184_30072065_9090.jpg

Cruiser parked in the yard, dog in between the 1st and second door to get in, I carry when awake, and have one of these on the side of me for when im not
gv_mini_deluxe.jpg

Im comfortable

I have something like that ... it's my nightstand drawer.

It must be nice living in NH. Thanks for rubbing it in. [laugh]

Cruiser parked in the yard sounds like a pretty good deterent... where can you buy one of those?

Go to an auction for used police cars? I'm not sure how much of the original markings of it gets painted up before the auction though. Maybe a burglar would think it is an unmarked police car.

A police car may not be a good idea as police usually try to conceal their identity due to scumbags attacking police officers and their property. It is quite common for cops to use PO boxes to conceal their identity and to keep cruisers in garages. Obviously, not all cops use this approach.

A police car may not be a good idea as police usually try to conceal their identity due to scumbags attacking police officers and their property. It is quite common for cops to use PO boxes to conceal their identity and to keep cruisers in garages. Obviously, not all cops use this approach.

There is a state trooper in Hudson, MA who keeps (kept) his vehicle in his driveway on Causeway St. House is/was for sale for AGES.

I have seen lots of cops that do it. I have also seen cops at restaurants facing the wall with their backs to the door. Doesn't mean its smart.

I have also seen cops at restaurants facing the wall with their backs to the door. Doesn't mean its smart.

Yup, I "snuck up" (in plain view, if he'd been paying attention) on a Sgt of ours at a Panera Bread one evening (we were on our way home from a Marlboro gun show). I scared the hell out of him when I walked up and said "A little out of your territory aren't you Sarge?" When he recovered his composure, he said that I damn near gave him a heart attack. As I walked up to him, his Wife saw me and knew I was there . . . he didn't even "read her face"!

He was sitting along a wall with his back to the pathway from the counter to the seating.

It's sad how many good officers are in "condition white" when they are out of uniform.

*Alarm system (armed)
*M&P in quick safe near the bed
*Dog (small but noisy - alternate alarm system)

Yup, I "snuck up" (in plain view, if he'd been paying attention) on a Sgt of ours at a Panera Bread one evening (we were on our way home from a Marlboro gun show). I scared the hell out of him when I walked up and said "A little out of your territory aren't you Sarge?" When he recovered his composure, he said that I damn near gave him a heart attack. As I walked up to him, his Wife saw me and knew I was there . . . he didn't even "read her face"!

He was sitting along a wall with his back to the pathway from the counter to the seating.

It's sad how many good officers are in "condition white" when they are out of uniform.

Worse, the officers that I was referring to were in uniform

While reading the current thread on Home Invasions I thought it would be interesting to see what measures people take to secure there homes.

I have been meaning to put motion lights in the front and back of my home for a while now. Just not sure the best way to do this (backyard has flood lights and front yard has light a post). I'll welcome suggestions on this.

Anyways, post some of the things you've done, plan to do, known someone to do, contemplated doing or just plain good ideas in securing your home from an invasion.

Your existing lights can be converted to motion lights easy enough. For the post, you can either by a motion sensor, or just a whole new "top" (light and sensor together). For the flood lights, you can just replace with motion sensor floodlights.

Our house used to be farm 30-50 years ago, and I still find barbed wire once in a while. I was wondering if I put up a strand or two if that wouldn't just slow some 2 legged predators down quite a bit.

There's plenty of home defense threads here and elsewhere. Lights, dogs, guns, general preparation, and maintaining situational awareness are some good ideas.

There are lots of preventative measures to take. Lights and dogs are great, but if it happens you are unlikely to be able to stop it unless you have your gun on your person. If you are like most people with a gun in a quick action safe, there probably won't be enough time to get to your gun. Think about where you spend your time, kitchen, den, tv room and determine if someone kicks in the door in an instant, could you get to your gun, open your safe and get to them before they get to you.

There are lots of preventative measures to take. Lights and dogs are great, but if it happens you are unlikely to be able to stop it unless you have your gun on your person. If you are like most people with a gun in a quick action safe, there probably won't be enough time to get to your gun. Think about where you spend your time, kitchen, den, tv room and determine if someone kicks in the door in an instant, could you get to your gun, open your safe and get to them before they get to you.

As long as I have TV and radio off and I'm up and about, I'd hear anything before he got in. First, my cats freak at the first sign of someone coming up the stairs. They HATE strangers. The side stairs are high, no way to sneak up without footstep sounds. The basement gives the BG a longer way to travel, more closed doors that have to be gotten through. The front door would be the quickest except I have this neat little door blocking device attached to the floor with 4" screws. It'd stop a kick-in and would require a real battering ram, or some time with pry bars.

Plus I usually carry while awake at home. This makes my wife upset though.

The main issue is could I get to the gun fast enough while asleep. I'm not 100% sure; it depends on how fast the BG manages to smash his way in. I'd be most worried about a window breakin in the basement since that's the furthest away and would probably make less noise than bashing down any doors. I don't know if I would hear the window. I'd put the alarm on but my cats keep setting off the motion sensor so I have been leaving it off.

x10.com has these wireless motion detectors that will trigger another x10 device - such as turning on a light, or setting off a x10 "door bell ring" or the "Barking DOg"...so you could have this motion sensor trigger off the ringer

http://www.x10.com/security/dm10a_s.html

Hi Hiker, Just checked out their site. The whole house system looks pretty interesting, For fear of being nosy, do you use any of their products?

I put this stuff

http://www.shattergard.com/home.html

on all the first floor windows. Every window in the house has "vent locks" (so you can open the window only about 2" without "unlocking")

there is also and alarm and there "may" be guns inside

What's the rough price on that stuff? All I could find on the site was instructions to measure all the windows you wanted treated and then email them and wait for them to call.

Three guns located around the house in very quick access.
One on me.
Alarm system in house.
Automatic security lighting.
Police officer next door neighbor's crusier in driveway!

watching tv the other night, I hear the 'chime' on the alarm system as an outside door opens. My 17yo hadn't locked the door behind her and didn't tell me one of her friends was 10 minutes behind her either. The friend walked right in the mudroom door, I confronted her as she entered the next room!...."Do not walk in my house, you could be shot!" Then I exploded on the daughter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom