• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tip for cleaning a: Compensator, Flash Hider or Suppressor

Retired-LEO

NES Member
Firearm Compensator, Flash Hider or Suppressor Tip:

Everyone knows cleaning a compensator, flash hider or a suppressor (if you live in a free state) can be a pain in the ass!!!

Whether you use lead bullets (so you have to remove lead and powder fouling) or if you use jacketed ammunition and are just removing powder fouling.

So I have a tip/trick for you to make cleaning a breeze. Whether you shop in stores or online... Buy a can of:

Dry Moly Lube Spray

The brand I bought is CRC, but you can use any brand that you like.

Start with a
clean compensator, flash hider or suppressor.
Give 3-4 light coats of the spray to the interior and exterior of the item.
Letting it dry for a few minutes in between coats. Make sure it's dry before applying the next coat.

By doing this each time; the compensator, flash hider or suppressor... will literally wipe clean. Removing all the lead and powder fouling.

Make sure you, re-apply after every cleaning.

*** I imagine this would work for the face of a revolver cylinder as well (making it easier to remove burn rings); although I have yet to try it. ***

Last edited:
You can also get 'bulk' MolyB powder and apply it.

The thing w/ MolyB and its friends is that it wants to be burnished/rubbed into the metal
to fill microscopic pores and irregularities.

I'd suggest using a caliber cleaning 'mop' if you go down that road.

Back
Top Bottom