Time to sell

50 BMG

Mosin Nagant Collector
NES Life Member
Well after close to 30 years of collecting I think I am ready to sell off some of my collection. I have moved into a different area of interest in firearms and I don't need, in some cases, three of the same model and year.
I think all of us who have collected for sometime go thru this. When we first begin we " just got to have it" then move to more unique items. Such as rare early 1900's pistols from a particular country.

Guess its a New Years resolution of sort.

I hope you reconsider 50bmg, as I know some stuff maybe/is hard to replace if you have a little buyers remorse. That being said, if you are going to be parting with anything from russia please let me know!!!

Personally, I hope you dont sell. I know from your posts and talking with you how long some of the stuff has taken to aquire and the care that has gone along with purchasing and preserving that part of history.

drb

Hah! I used to dream of owning a Mauser from each of the 13 manufacturers. That changed to keeping a few good examples and selling the others off to move into 7.65 pistols and American rifles. Trouble is I don't really anything left to sell unless it is to upgrade something.

Good luck with your new field. I'd never owned a pistol until I chanced on the M14 Mauser for $300; now there's nine of them.

MS

Well after close to 30 years of collecting I think I am ready to sell off some of my collection. I have moved into a different area of interest in firearms and I don't need, in some cases, three of the same model and year.
I think all of us who have collected for sometime go thru this. When we first begin we " just got to have it" then move to more unique items. Such as rare early 1900's pistols from a particular country.

Guess its a New Years resolution of sort.

Someone once told me to always be selling the bottom third of your collection to improve the top third. Something I am considering doing in 2013.

Fred, don't do it! ok, selling the doubles is ok, I am considering that as well. but you need to keep the one good one. that helps the seller's remorse i believe

What is the new area? is that the 1900 pistols? NFA? or AKS and ARs ? [wink][laugh]. Timing is everything

good luck with your decision!
Tom

He won't miss them, I've seen the Holy Grail. [wink]

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

in!
[smile]
Half joking. Though, I wouldn't blame you for holding on. They don't cost you anything sitting in the safe.

Fred,

are you messing with us? I remember this thread last year!
No messing with folks. My last reduction in my collection was selling off Milsurps that had been made into hunting rifles. A couple re furbed SKS that I replaced with originals. At one time I had 5 VZ 53. Kept the best 2.
I am just moving on to modern rifles. I have my fair share already but I am going for some high end stuff. One such item is a bolt action custom built rifle chambered in 338. I also just received my Ed Brown commemorative 1911.

Plus Fixxar has seen part of my collection. I need a bigger room ;)

No messing with folks. My last reduction in my collection was selling off Milsurps that had been made into hunting rifles. A couple re furbed SKS that I replaced with originals. At one time I had 5 VZ 53. Kept the best 2.
I am just moving on to modern rifles. I have my fair share already but I am going for some high end stuff. One such item is a bolt action custom built rifle chambered in 338. I also just received my Ed Brown commemorative 1911.

Plus Fixxar has seen part of my collection. I need a bigger room ;)

In for an SKS as I am also in the market for one..

I am having similar thoughts. It is a hard decision. But in the end they are just things. Whether I like it or not I will have to part with them sooner or later. Death will get us all eventually.

I am having similar thoughts. It is a hard decision. But in the end they are just things. Whether I like it or not I will have to part with them sooner or later. Death will get us all eventually.

Damn you guys are bummin me out! Serious though, you guys could sell off half of what you own and still have 3 times as much as me ( and nicer too![wink] ) In the end, do what makes you happy

I made a post like this and everyone jumped on me for thinking about selling. :)

For me, to have a bunch of guns that collect dust or I take out only to get at the guns behind them seems silly.
I have been slowly trading away the guns I don't shoot. Always looking for guitars or car stuff.
I am trying to focus on being proficient with the guns I have and consolidating calibers. My ammo locker is full of .22, .250, 9mm Largo, 7.62 Tokarev, 9mm Makarov, 7.62x54R, 30.06 M2 Ball, 30 carbine, .223, 12 ga, 45 acp, 38spl, 357 mag, 7mm, 8mm, 8x56R, and it is just ridiculous to keep all of it in stock.

Last edited:
I made a post like this and everyone jumped on me for thinking about selling. :)

For me, to have a bunch of guns that collect dust or I take out only to get at the guns behind them seems silly.
I have been slowy trading away the guns I don't shoot. Always looking for guitars or car stuff.
I am trying to focus on being proficient with the guns I have and consolidating calibers. My ammo locker is full of .22, .250, 9mm Largo, 7.62 Tokarev, 9mm Makarov, 7.62x54R, 30.06 M2 Ball, 30 carbine, .223, 12 ga, 45 acp, 38spl, 357 mag, 7mm, 8mm, 8x56R, and it is just ridiculous to keep all of it in stock.

Speaking for myself sometimes I forget your really only "need" one or two...... As a matter of fact I made a promise ( again ) this year that I wouldnt purchase any more guns this year and I would focus on becoming more debt free and moving up my land purchase up a year. oh crap, I just won an auction for a M39 nagant. Maybe next year[smile]

Speaking for myself sometimes I forget your really only "need" one or two......

That is why I am just going to keep my 1911 and my Garand.... and my M1 carbine, and my M44, and my 12 ga, and my S&W 41, and that's it,...... and also my Ruger MkII but that is, oh and my AR15 and my 10/22, and my Winchester 70, and maybe my two 1913 Stevens 22's and my S&W 4516, and my J frames and N frames and K frames, but that's all. All the other stuff I am going to sell. :)

As a matter of fact I made a promise ( again ) this year that I wouldnt purchase any more guns this year and I would focus on becoming more debt free and moving up my land purchase up a year. oh crap, I just won an auction for a M39 nagant. Maybe next year[smile]

**High 5** [rofl]

That is why I am just going to keep my 1911 and my Garand.... and my M1 carbine, and my M44, and my 12 ga, and my S&W 41, and that's it,...... and also my Ruger MkII but that is, oh and my AR15 and my 10/22, and my Winchester 70, and maybe my two 1913 Stevens 22's and my S&W 4516, and my J frames and N frames and K frames, but that's all. All the other stuff I am going to sell. :)

and,,,,,,and,,,,,and,,,,,,, LOL! this is my exact problem. I look in the safes to see what to get rid of.....er.um , not that one, not that one either, nope not that one.
I have this discussion in my head every time BEFORE i open the door to the safe.

seriously looking at sellng some of my 20+ SKSs. I have shooters, Museum pieces and everything in between

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom