• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thoughts on the Kriss Vector

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Is it a decent pistol caliber carbine or just an answer to a question that doesn't need to be asked? I was considering looking at one in 10mm, but the lack of hi caps in this state makes it less then it should be. Possibly 45acp with preban Glock 21 mags would make it better, but might be losing some of the ballistic aspects of the 10mm.

Thoughts?

I have it in 45acp. I enjoy it, but it’s more like a rifle than a carbine. It’s a little heavy and I actually like that. If your looking for a smaller, lighter weapon to shoot this might not be your answer. I would consider doing an SBR, it’s only a few hundred dollars more than the cost of a vector. Hope this helps.

the kriss vector is a phenomenal design. it was intended to run as an SBR in full auto. that is where it truly shines. in semi auto with 16" barrel it's still cool but doesn't really check off all the boxes for which it was built. i had a gen 1 in 45acp (the first model). it ran great. I ultimately sold it as i had no use and the 45acp gains almost nothing from a longer barrel. last year i picked up a gen 2 model in 10mm and there's no question the 10mm gains a lot of velocity from the longer barrel. believe it or not, recoil on the 10mm kriss is something of an issue. due to being a blowback 10mm with downward traveling bolt (whatever kriss calls the v system or something), it has a sharp rearward recoil impulse. it requries some optimizing of the stock and optics positioning. with the fast blowback kriss action, magazine springs can create stoppages. one does not want to use worn out old mags as it can have issues getting the rounds up into the mag fast enough for the breech to grab them.

i'm not going to comment on the magazine issue, as it has nothing to do with a firearm design and I'm 100% sure that you've never needed rounds 11-15 so it's all just fantasy apocalyptic groupthink. if needing mag capacity >10 rds then 99% of modern designs are out the window.

if decide to go SBR route, one is best off getting the pistol lower (serialized part), separate grip module that houses the trigger, then form 1'ing it rather than converting the rifle barrel down to a short barrel - this latter route is far more expensive and requires a trip to Kriss.

Last edited:
I'm making a white P80 G19. I'd love a white Vector to go with it to pull a whole Stormtrooper thing. But it costs money. Anyone that has a spare to give me, I'm available.

if decide to go SBR route, one is best off getting the pistol lower (serialized part), separate grip module that houses the trigger, then form 1'ing it rather than converting the rifle barrel down to a short barrel - this latter route is far more expensive and requires a trip to Kriss.

I found a shop that will cut & thread Vector barrels, which is the avenue I'm taking with my SBR-ing. Less down time than going through the KRISS turnaround, and considerably less costly.

I've been eye-f***ing this gun for a while, but a lot of people sell it after using it because they've concluded that it's simply made for SBR, which I'm not going to do. The fake suppressor for the 16" barrel looks cool though. Plus the reliability isn't the greatest (I've heard). I think for the money you can do a lot better.

I want a vector, but I worry about the durability of the plastic- unlike other arms where plastic just makes up the stock or straps the parts together the vector (and other guns) use the plastic as an integral part of the design. In 60 years I wonder what that gun is going to look like? I know it doesn't matter if its put away wet but what about rode hard? What part is going to fail first? How easy will it be to get it repaired? will there be an aftermarket replacement?

I can fix any plastic part on my AR myself more or less, same goes with any other gun in my safe. Everything I own today basically will be the same when I die, but I'm not convinced that I could say the same for the long term durability of the vector.

Doing a Vector as an SBR would be awesome but I meant an AR platform SBR in my other post. My bad, I didn’t clearify on that. I definitely agree on the recoil. I thought the whole downward recoil thing would mean exactly that...it’s not. It hits you in the shoulder and cheek like any other spring recoil rifle. I bet the 10 mm hits pretty good, lol.

I've been eye-f***ing this gun for a while, but a lot of people sell it after using it because they've concluded that it's simply made for SBR, which I'm not going to do. The fake suppressor for the 16" barrel looks cool though. Plus the reliability isn't the greatest (I've heard). I think for the money you can do a lot better.
Yes, I like my vector and I am not selling it but u can do way better. I paid $1500 and change for a Gen2 new and I have also built 2 AR15 SBR’s for $2000 each and that includes the tax stamp and very reputable parts.

I have the Alpine White 9mm version, shoots like a 22. Real fun gun at the range but costly to shoot. Let me explain, I have some preban silly sticks, with virtually no recoil it lends itself to mag dumps, but oh so much fun to shoot.

Buyer beware, the Alpine White is a great looking gun but horrible to clean, last time we took it to the range we put 500+ rounds through it between myself and my two sons. It was caked inside and it just got every where, ended up spending more time trying to wipe it down then we shooting.

I have the 10mm, it's an interesting gun. The only real issue I have had is with magazines, mine does not play well the pre-bans as they wouldn't lock in reliably, newer ten rounders worked fine. What I ended up doing is removing some of the material on the base plates and they all locked in ok after that. I meant to explore the issue further but never did, could be a bad mag catch or maybe the receiver is over molded? I got it working so I left it there.

The other issue was the mag release snapped in half one day at the range, it's MIM part so maybe it was just a bad one, who knows. It was easy enough to replace and since then I haven't had any other issues, granted I haven't pushed tons of lead thru it since then.

I put a C-More sight on mine and put an ACE entry stock on it at first, I switched the ACE out with a Magpul fixed carbine stock

... The only real issue I have had is with magazines, mine does not play well the pre-bans as they wouldn't lock in reliably, newer ten rounders worked fine. What I ended up doing is removing some of the material on the base plates and they all locked in ok after that. I meant to explore the issue further but never did, could be a bad mag catch or maybe the receiver is over molded? I got it working so I left it there.

U-notch magazine tubes are slightly shorter than later model magazines, resulting in interference between the magazine base plate and the magazine well, which prevents the notch from reaching the mag catch completely.

Is it a decent pistol caliber carbine or just an answer to a question that doesn't need to be asked? I was considering looking at one in 10mm, but the lack of hi caps in this state makes it less then it should be. Possibly 45acp with preban Glock 21 mags would make it better, but might be losing some of the ballistic aspects of the 10mm.

Thoughts?
You can find stick 10mm mags and for fun stick 45 mags will feed with an occasional hiccup.

As others said, not worth getting unless you SBR it.

I had an Alpine White (don't get that color unless its a safe queen) in 45. It was fun, but it tended to stay in the safe more often than other rifles. Pretty heavy and expensive to shoot.

I sold it off and ended up buying a serialized pistol lower - which I Form 1'd. Once that came back (hooray 10 day turnaround on eForms!!) I bought a new upper right from Kriss. Much easier that way.

Went with 9MM this go around. One of the more fun guns in my stable.

Wow never even heard of that. I'd be looking at it to fill a rifle type role. But I guess some rounds don't gain from that so that's definitely something to consider.

I fired a semi 9mm and was aghast at the amount of felt recoil. I'll take my MP5 any day. I hope they're much better in full auto cause they are awful in semi.

the kriss vector is a phenomenal design.

Not necessarily true. I bought the carbine and cut barrel down myself. Came out very nice. Just gotta have a steady hand and some dremel skills

Not necessarily true. I bought the carbine and cut barrel down myself. Came out very nice. Just gotta have a steady hand and some dremel skills

how did you crown it. i'm sure many would love to see a photo or two. again post #17 and mine above explains the smoothest and cheapest way to get a factory SBR. there are always hodge podge methods to cut ones own barrel, but if done anything other than perfectly one is completely hosed. despite my dremel skills, i would not consider myself sufficiency handy nor having the right equipment to cut and crown my own barrel.

Have all three. I still want a Kriss in 10mm. Don't really know why...

If you want to ditch the Kriss or the Sig, let me know.

Edit - just realized you’re in NH. I guess depending on where you are, something could still work out.

how did you crown it. i'm sure many would love to see a photo or two. again post #17 and mine above explains the smoothest and cheapest way to get a factory SBR. there are always hodge podge methods to cut ones own barrel, but if done anything other than perfectly one is completely hosed. despite my dremel skills, i would not consider myself sufficiency handy nor having the right equipment to cut and crown my own barrel.

Brass screw for 25 cents. Super easy and gun runs great

Back
Top Bottom