Thoughts on 147gr JHP 9mm for carry rounds?

Many smaller guns actually prefer the heavier slower bullet because it stops the gun from cycling so fast that it causes misfeeds. The lower recoil is nice too. Nothing wrong with carrying them as long as your gun cycles them reliably.

I kinda tend to agree with Wrench75. I run Hornady 147 gr XTP's in my Shield and it cycles just fine. I used the Shield as a light weight/small form factor summer EDC. I've since changed my way of EDC to a S&W 9C full time running Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr FlexLock. Going to "gift" the Shield to a family member.

While both Hornady Self Defense rounds are a "tad pricey" and can't currently be easily replaced, I figure if I have to use either, the last of worries is going to be cost or recoil.

Jay

115gr shoots consistently low in my 3913TSW and other "compact" variations. I switched to 147gr and they shoot to point of aim as long as I do my part. 124gr shoots pretty much to point of aim as well.

I think that those guns were designed around what was then the standard police load of 147gr, which is why the 115gr doesn't run as well in them.

OTOH, both my XDE (when I had one) and my Mossberg MC1sc shoot anything just fine.

For my CS9, I carry 124gr because it seems to like that. For my 3914DAO, also carry 124gr because that's what NYPD specified when that was an authorized off duty carry gun for NYPD officers.

The only problem with 147gr is that it can be hard to find sometimes. I asked an FFL if he could get some for me and he didn't even know that it existed.

I kinda tend to agree with Wrench75. I run Hornady 147 gr XTP's in my Shield and it cycles just fine. I used the Shield as a light weight/small form factor summer EDC. I've since changed my way of EDC to a S&W 9C full time running Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr FlexLock. Going to "gift" the Shield to a family member.

While both Hornady Self Defense rounds are a "tad pricey" and can't currently be easily replaced, I figure if I have to use either, the last of worries is going to be cost or recoil.

Jay
The 135+P critical doody is good shit, though. The crimping groove prevents setback, you can rechamber it 48 times if you wanted, etc. Recoil is manageable, runs the guns reliably. At one point i was getting it for $30/50rnds, which was cheap.

... I carry 124gr because it seems to like that. For my 3914DAO, also carry 124gr because that's what NYPD specified when that was an authorized off duty carry gun for NYPD officers.

The only problem with 147gr is that it can be hard to find sometimes. I asked an FFL if he could get some for me and he didn't even know that it existed.

I'm only saying this as a joke, although a bad one.

If I asked that question and they gave me that answer, I'd find another FFL.

O.K., enough of my terrible bad humor. I'm just being an a$$

Jay

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom