This is for all of my Mauser friends

daltrey99

NES Member
I just bought 140 rounds of 1951 Turkish 8MM surplus. I was told by the seller that it isnt corrosive but I dont believe that to be the case. The ammo looks to be in great shape except for one cartridge was cracked. Do any of you have any experience using the Turkish stuff. I am not really big into the corrosive stuff but I figured it would be good to have some surplus type ammo on hand.

A good rule of thumb is ALL SURPLUS 7.92x57mm IS CORROSIVE, and the Turkish stuff certainly is. Corrosive ammo is not a big deal, especially in a bolt gun. It just requires cleaning in a timely manner. I usually swab the bores with Windex before leaving the range, then be sure to clean promptly when I get home. Make sure you get the bolt face as well, and I usually break down the bolt if I've been shooting any serious amount. I use Ballistol as a cleaning agent for corrosive ammo.

I just use windex/with ammonia myself on all parts and I do the same routine described (clean as soon as possible after shooting.)

Have any of you guys ever shot this Turkish stuff? I heard it is very hot and "packed to the max". I got this stuff cheap enough but really prefer non corrosive stuff Like you guys said, it is not a big deal in a bolt gun and thats what it will be shot in. I usually shoot the Prvi Patizan ammo but thought it might be nice to have some surplus on hand and the price was right. This will be put through my K98.

Last edited:
If it wasn't for corrosive milsurp 8mm, I don't think anyone can afford shooting hi power. The cheapest non corrosive rds I saw were .80cents/round - closer to $1. I'd go out and buy a .308 or 30/06 as prices are about the same or cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom