• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thinking about trying a Comp?

The Edge Lab

Dealer
NES Member
I just picked up a M&P15 Sport 5.56/.223. I know nothing about competing but thought I would possibly try one with this gun if they have any. I looked around these threads but since I know nothing about comps and the terminology, finding what Im looking for is difficult.

Wheres a good place to look for info on comps using this rifle in any?

Any help would be appreciated by this newb.

Last edited:
What kind of rifle competition are you looking to do? Action? Bullseye? There really aren't any action rifle matches held with any regularity in the immediate area. There are, however, several good clubs that offer across the course NRA and CMP service rifle competitions. Unfortunately, the M&P15 Sport with it's 16" barrel isn't ideal for these type of matches. Their course of fire includes standing at 200 yds, sitting rapid fire at 200 yds, prone rapid fire at 300 yds and prone slow fire at 600 yds. Generally speaking, you'd want a 20" barrel and a free float handguard on a rifle for those competitions. You would also want your rifle to be fairly heavy, to help minimize movement. I'm sure others will chime in, but Reading Rifle and Revolver in Reading, MA and Nashua Fish and Game in Merrimack, NH offer great competitions with many knowledgeable and seasoned competitors that are mostly happy to help out. NFGA even usually runs an intro class.

What kind of rifle competition are you looking to do?
Thanks!

That's the thing I don't know what's out there. If I have to I'll get a different rifle to suit a particular class. I'm just having a hard time figuring things out because I'm not familiar with the terms.

Meanwhile I'm still researching.

I just picked up a M&P15 Sport 5.56/.223. I know nothing about competing but thought I would possibly try one with this gun if they have any. I looked around these threads but since I know nothing about comps and the terminology, finding what Im looking for is difficult.

Wheres a good place to look for info on comps using this rifle in any?

Any help would be appreciated by this newb.

depending on your location:
Hanson Rod and Gun in Hanson Ma runs a CMP shoot 1st sat (next week end) 8am and 3rd sunday 12noon 100 yards NRA/CMP highpower course of fire using targets reduced for 100 yards to replicate 200/300/600 . Very laid back and a good slow paced intro to the format of highpower/service rifle matches
Pembroke ma, Old colony also runs a cmp clinic/match 200 yards which you can attend with any military style rifle. It is run as a match along side the clinic. Really fun and no preasure. Only thing is you would not be in the running for trinkets... ahhh prizes. except for the service rifle/ Mondern Military match at the end of the year.
Interested in more about these 2 clubs PM me

if you get the bug for the NRA/CMP service rifle with a AR you can get a upper for your sport

Where are you located?
There are a few clubs in the NEHPRL: http://nehprl.com/Contact_Info.html
Many, if not all of those clubs offer CMP shoots as well. High Power gets expensive to start out. Do not be pressured into buying a new rifle or any equipment until you know you are going to get involved. Your rifle would put you in match division, don't sweat it, I shot my first year with a 16" LMT in match. If you are a member of those clubs, reach out to the contacts, they should be more than willing to show you the ropes. Go through a match with the equipment you have and see if you like it. If you are not a member, look for a CMP shoot as they are usually open to the public.
Its a fun sport, and personally, shooting is a lot more fun with a little competition as opposed to just punching holes on your own.

Awesome thanks Mac1911....I'll be in touch.

Just a added note. Cmp shoots at Hanson runs each and every month 1st Sat and 3rd Sunday.
Both Hanson and Pembroke have club garands and ammo also. Both are open to public walk ins.
Beginners are more than welcome youth need to be 13 years old.

Back
Top Bottom