• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thinking About an SKS

I just received my C&R FFL and I'm starting to look at possible purchases. I'm looking for something in the $150-$350 range. I also want something I can actually go to the range and use, not a wall decoration. That's why the SKS came to mind.

I know there are many different available SKS' from countries like Russia, Yugoslavia, etc. I've been trying to read as much as I can before I make a purchase.
So any input on a particular SKS being better than the other?
Or any suggestions for where to buy? I've been looking at local shops (nothing much at all), gunsamerica.com, and gunbroker.com.

Any tips or help appreciated! =)

If you don't mind the disassembly and removal of cosmolene, get a Yugo SKS in the best condition you can afford. They're drying up and soon the prices will be much higher than they are now once the distributors run out.
The Yugos are well built rifles and are one of the more accurate SKS types out there I think with Norinco being the best for accuracy.

I have a Yugo and a Norinco. They are both fine shooters. I am a bit more partial to the Yugo because of the amount of work I did cleaning it up. I know that rifle better then any other firearm that I own.

CompletedSKS002.jpg

Great, I don't mind some cleaning. What is a good price for a Yugo still in cosmolene?

Depends on condition. Shooter grades are going for about $120, Good/VG for about $140-$150, Excelent for around $170, and un-issued for $200 and a little more. At one time just over a year ago un-issued went for $140.[shocked]
Great thing about the Yugo 59/66 rifles is the grenade launcher keeps the muzzle crown protected so the chances of getting one with a worn muzzle is pretty slim.

Zero Hour Arms in Easton has a couple of Yugos' I think unissued for around 220.
I have a China and Albanian and they are both nice!

No, but if you do have a C&R you do not have to transfer through a dealer. You can ship it directly to your house. So it saves you a few bucks and some hassle.

Back
Top Bottom