Thinking about a DPMS rifle??

Hi all.

I just emailed DPMS about the possibility of buying one of their kits to build a new AR15. I knew they, like so many other suppliers, are behind. I received this kind reply from Dillon Jenning in their sales dept. and thought I'd share it with you. Think the demand is relaxing at all??

Rome

Dear Rome;

Our current lead time on standard guns is 1 year, and 2 years on guns with upgrades. We are 142,000 rifles behind.

Respectfully,
Dillon Jennings
DPMS Fireams LLC

That's what I'm going to do. I've got some M&P lowers available locally and will build from there. I just liked the looks of the kits that DPMS have on their websites. I've been told they of a high quality and figured if they might be available it would be easy to accumulte the bit and pieces at one time.

Rome

i have a DPMS A1 upper i'm selling. no one seems to want A1 uppers. [laugh]

when i get a cheap delta ring i am going to put the barrel that originally came in it back on but there is most likely something wrong with the barrel. got a new one so i don't know and i don't care anymore.

I'd think unless you NEED a BRAND NEW rifle right from the factory, go shopping. Parts are available, as are complete ARs. They may not be cheap, but theoretically you could have the AR of your dreams in days, not years.

I have two DPMS rifles. Fired many thousands of rounds through them without any problems.
I just built up an Essential Arms stripped lower and it also functions properly. You can get lowers and parts to build up a rifle now that some of the panic buying has subsided.
John Costa at C&F Guns in Middleboro had a couple ARs a few days ago. I don't know the prices.

mmm, all that class III R&D goodness[laugh]

I know! Talk about a job with benefits! [mg]

I've actually been contacting Bushmaster in regards to job opportunities with them, my wife has a potential job offer up there with LL Bean so I was thinking....

Could be really fun.

I've been inquiring about DPMS rifles lately and always find myself oggling over the ones at GunsAmerica, but aside from DPMS, what other brands of stock AR's are exceptional and would do well being "Massified". I think I'm pretty limited to what mods I can have which totally sucks. Guess I'll have no 6 po stock. /cry

I walked into State line last month ans walked out with an LR-308 that day. I paid a fair price for it and was shooting it that weekend. I walked in there on Tuesday and walked out with an S&W MP-15 same day for again a good price. I guess if you build it yourself, you can save a few $ but I think I got what I wanted for reasonable money. I understand that people get a certain satisfaction out of building something themselves but I find that these EBR's can be had fairly easily and it's worth it (for me) to pay a little more to get what I want and be shooting it rather than hunting around for parts. Besides, I feel it is important to support the local dealers. I dont claim to know a lot about the AR platform type of gun but I find the shops expertise and guidnce worth the extra money. I do however respect someone who is willing and able to take on a build and successfully make a functioning rifle.

I have had trouble with the two DPMS barrels that I have bought. The first was in a 22 LR upper that malfuctioned (fired out of battery) due to a rough chamber. The second was a bull 223 barrel that I used to build a flat top upper. It would refuse te eject spent rounds after it got hot (about 30 rounds) due to a rough chamber. I was able to cure both problems by polishing the chamber, but I don't think I'll be buying any more DPMS barrels.

That's silly. If they have two years' backlog, then they are turning away business. They should be hiring people and increasing production. In the current economy, it can't be too difficult to find people qualified for whatever positions they would need to fill.

Back
Top Bottom