• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Things I learned when shooting my new AR

SteelShooter

NES Member
So a couple of things I learned today while shooting my AR15 (actually ANY AR) for the first time:
1. It's damn accurate even for a new shooter like me
2. 100 rounds goes REALLY quickly in 30 round mags
3. Don't ask your brother if he wants to shoot it too,[smile] (jk)
4. The barrel is surprisingly hot after shooting 30 rounds (ouch)
5. Ejecting shells travel farther than I thought they would (sorry about the pool bro)
6. It has a lot less recoil than I thought it would
7. It's really fun to shoot
8. It's really fun to shoot
9. Don't prop up your targets with a couple of 1x3's
10. I need glasses to see the sights
11. I need to move to NH (shot right out in my brothers backyard)
12. Your neighbors in MA look at you funny when you walk to the car with the gun case
13. Soda Cans make really good targets at 50 yards
14. Shoot N C targets don't make a difference at 100 yards
15. I need glasses to shoot
16. It's really fun to shoot
17. It's just as loud outside as at the range
18. Shooting outside is a lot more fun
19. Massachusetts gun laws suck
20. Bring more ammo

Overall, it was a great day. My brother lives in Weare NH and has 15 acres. He had a range set up for his family for .22 plinking, we spent about 4 hours shooting the AR, P239 .40, Mosquito and his S&W .22. Great Day.

I'm glad you had a good time. [grin]

But you need to come home to New Hampshire now. A visit isn't enough. What date have you set to move up here? Set the date today and then all else will flow from that.

You don't belong down there. Come home.

I do have a date, July 2010, when my daughter graduates High School. Already have property in Wakefield, although not enough for shooting[frown].

SteelShooter, the one thing about AR's? They're really fun to shoot [smile]

Congratulations on your new toy! May you have many years of enjoyment with it.

Congrats on the new toy, but stay in mass. We need all the numbers we can get down here. Also politically southern nh has become
Part of mass.

Hey, I used to live in Weare! As in Where the Heck is it!
Still haven't figured out why I came back.

Yes, ARs are fun and accurate. But with today's prices, my 500-100 round range sessions are just a memory.

Unless I start getting unmarked packages from my boy in the Sandbox.

I only load the 30 round mags with 20 rounds - makes the ammo last a little longer that way.

Your brother is practically my neighbor (I'm in Deering).

I only load the 30 round mags with 20 rounds - makes the ammo last a little longer that way.

Your brother is practically my neighbor (I'm in Deering).

I have now made it a practice to set the rifle down safety on pointed downrange and collect my spent cases every 5 rounds to slow the process down otherwise the range visit is very short and kepping track of all the spents is a bit more work. I am using the small 12 target sheets so I move to the next target every 5. This has been working well for me. I only do this when no one else on the range, which is the typical situation at my club.

Most of the time, I load it with 3 if I'm just trying to shoot for accuracy. If no one else is at the range, I walk over to the target after each 3 to examine the holes. So 20 to 30 rounds tends to last an hour.

what ever you do 3 rounds or 30 get a lula mag loader...your thumbs will love you for it

Funny story about that. The very first day I had the rifle, I took the mag out and started loading the rounds in. I'm a guy, so I didn't read the manual, I mean how tough can it be right? So I'm trying to load the mags like they were my .40 S&W mags, sliding them from the front to the back while pushing down. Man that was tough, took me about 5 minutes to load 10 rounds [rofl], I figured there had to be a better way. So, while no one was looking, I read the instructions and youtubed it too. Oh, that was soo much easier. I saw the lula too and definitely am going to grab one. [smile]

what ever you do 3 rounds or 30 get a lula mag loader...your thumbs will love you for it

I never found that necessary for AR mags. Is it just me? I've always hated loading pistol mags by hand, and my uplula is terrific for loading them. But AR mags are just so easy to load... lightly push down ammo from top, one by one, until you are done. I could load dozens of mags in a row. Way easier than pistol mags.

What am I missing here?

I never found that necessary for AR mags. Is it just me? I've always hated loading pistol mags by hand, and my uplula is terrific for loading them. But AR mags are just so easy to load... lightly push down ammo from top, one by one, until you are done. I could load dozens of mags in a row. Way easier than pistol mags.

What am I missing here?

[rofl] i wasn't going to comment, as i've been toying with these things since 1995. but i do see people that have issues loading them. [laugh]

note: even in the Army, we'd have people using those speed loaders and devices, but usually it was the female soldiers [wink][smile][rofl]

ahh man i was just up in weare NH for the past couple days, i think i might have heard you shooting, sounded like a warzone, lol jk

Congrats!
If you find just regular shooting fun with an EBR, wait till you master bump firing.
It's a waste of ammo but great fun.
Try learning to reload some of that brass. It helps cut down the costs a bit.
You're right - get outta Mass! There will be reasonable gun laws in Havana before there are in Mass.
We need refugees from Mass warning the people in other States on the dangerous results of electing Democrats to public office, not Liberals from Mass spreading the cancer.

The U in LULA stands for "unload" - something that is made FAR easier with the tool if you have to unload full or partially full magazines.

Oh, good point. I guess AR mags are much harder to unload than to load. Although, I only unload mine the fun way, so I would never use that feature of the tool.

Fun to shoot you say????

No shti, I found it was fun to shoot my buddies bebe gun when I was younger, I dont know what I would do if I got the chance to shoot an AR.

I guess I can join the army and get the chance very quickly

Back
Top Bottom