They're all gone

SKS Ray

NES Member
Got an e mail from CMP a little while ago stating that all the Service Grade Garands are gone and they aren't expecting more. I was gonna order one but never got the $500+ together. I have a new production Springfield Armory Garand that I love, but still wanted another Garand.
Whats left are Rack and Field grade rifles. They're adverstised as having muzzle wear 3 and over and throat errosion 5 and over. Judging from the shallow rifling US rifles have in the first place, I gotta believe these rifles must not have much of a crown left.
I may still get one but if theres a chance I won't get good 100 yard accuracy from it, I won't bother.

They are advertising these:

BARRELED RECEIVERS FOR SALE. The CMP is once again offering Garand Stripped Barreled receivers for sale. NLU R013SA Springfield - Dark gray reparked receiver with reparked service grade barrel installed. $300 plus $9.95 S&H. http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm. Springfield Armory only.

Wonder if that means a new condition barrel?

I think the Korea rifles are either waiting to come in or just a rumor. I've heard nothing for sure nor received notices from CMP via e mail. Next in line are VFW returns that were used to shoot blanks at ceremonies. I heard they're real sewer pipes.[sad2]

UGGHHHH... I was 3 weeks away from my order... putting $25 a way each week until I had enough.. Thanks for headsup.

I don't have one either nor do i plan on getting any. It was the best war weapon in WW2 and probably won the war for us on the ground with the foot soldier. I may want one someday but the american made stuff is just priced too high even though i do have the cash sometimes saved up i'm just too frugal when i can buy the others dirt cheap(hakims, tokarev's, sks's and the FN49's and don't leave out that mean little french 49/56 too) On the other hand i can buy a new saiga for around $300 and i'm getting a brand new Russian AK47 in either 308win or in .223rem. this has to be the best buy on the market today for a shooter/beater.

The prices lately are getting scary too.
I had one dealer tell me he could build me a garand or m14 cheaper than i could buy one for.

Bill:

I don't know if you've checked the market prices recently on some of the foreign milsurps (Hakim, Tokarev, FN49) but they're not exactly cheap anymore either! Just try to find a decent one of these for less than the CMP Garand prices - not likely unless you run across someone who has no idea what they have....

Not that we'd take advantage of that situation, of course....

So are the rack grade in good enough condition to fire or am I taking a complete gamble ? Sorry if this has been covered before.

I think if you're looking for a shooter that you're not too worried about cosmetically, the rack grade should do you.
And CMP service is superb. If you find a major problem, they'll make it good.

Thats exactly what I wanted to hear... I will be making my purchase shortly.. forms already to go.

Thanks as always guys!

Back
Top Bottom