• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Calling all 1911 experts.....

PatMcD

NES Member
What do you make of this serial number? All early Colt features, but looks like that 1 at the end was struck later. Ever seen of heard of anything like this? 20190905_115937.jpg

Im not a 1911 expert but in that serial number range you would be pre 1920? Probably just a harder hit when they serialized it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong

I don’t think that’s a ‘1’, it appears to be a ‘hard stop’ so nobody can add a number after the fact. Maybe that was a problem back then?

I’m thinking back in the day when reports were written by hand still, and we were taught to put *this at the end so nobody could alter it after the fact.

*Nothing Further. //—————-//

...and the writer would block off any empty space left at the bottom of the paper with those lines and tags to fill empty space.

I’m probably way off but that’s what popped into my head upon viewing.

Here is a picture of another Colt, looks like it was the HULKS job to strike the 1.
Looks just like the one in my photo, doesn't it. That's a bummer. I was thinking of buying this, but I already have an earlier number than that.

it's not a "1", a one in a serial number would not look like a "I" but like this..."1"

Its a 1, look at the other example with the same character in the middle of the s/n. Its for sure not a letter there. And I don't think anyone uses an i in a s/n since it can be mistaken for a 1.

Its a 1, look at the other example with the same character in the middle of the s/n. Its for sure not a letter there. And I don't think anyone uses an i in a s/n since it can be mistaken for a 1.
i'm not sure here cause mil surp i know nothing about...but i don't think an "i" or capitol "I" are used in serial numbers on firearms for the reason they could be mistaken for a one "1". that said, i have nothing else and haven't a clue what that mark is. [grin] but interesting thread nonetheless.

i'm not sure here cause mil surp i know nothing about...but i don't think an "i" or capitol "I" are used in serial numbers on firearms for the reason they could be mistaken for a one "1". that said, i have nothing else and haven't a clue what that mark is. [grin] but interesting thread nonetheless.

GI 1911s don't have i's in their serial numbers at all. Its absolutely a 1.

there is a 1911 research group on fb.. they xan and will provide you with all the information you desire. sorry i can't help with that but i definately do not think it's a 1.

there is a 1911 research group on fb.. they xan and will provide you with all the information you desire. sorry i can't help with that but i definately do not think it's a 1.
I found a bunch of them when searching on Facebook. Which one is it?

You can go on Colt's website and for $50. send in the s/n and they will send you the pistol's pedigree. I did that with mine and its pretty interesting.
I agree it doesn't look like a 1

Back
Top Bottom