the tools for duck hunting

Was thinking about giving duck hunting a whirl , minus a dog and a boat... and waders ... and a rem 870, is this a loosing battle from the start ?

The bottom line is that you need a way to get ducks out of the water or you need to shoot them over land where you can retrieve them.

When I was younger I used to jump puddle ducks and hold my shots until they were clear of the "puddle". You can get a few that way but it is kinda like hunting pheasant without a dog. You will get an occasional bird but you will put in a lot of work doing it.

JME,

Bob

I have a dozen decoys, a canoe, waders and a gun. I'm subpar with the calls, so I use them very infrequently. You need something to attract the ducks, and most importantly some way to retrieve. I do not use a dog, but I've hunted with friends who have one and it sure does help.

My dad was a big time inland duck hunter, and he taught me to never go out without a dog. I remember him going to a place frequented by hunters and taking the dog and a burlap sack. It would be no problem having the dogs find 15 or 20 cripples on a Sunday. He would then hand them of to a game warden and bitch about "those $@%*&!" who hunt without a dog. Just one man (my dad's) humble opinion.

Last edited:
Depends on what type of duck hunting you do. Back in the day, my dad and I used to go out to the salt marshes up around Newbury. No dog, no boat. It was marsh hay fields, so there were drainage ditched that required jumping, and a long "river" that if you brought Daffy down on the wrong side of, you had a walk! I had a "retreiver" that I built out of a design in an old hunting mag a weighted and float-equipped big trebble hook - if the duck was floating, you toss the line over it, hook t, and haul it in.

Best bet....find someone with a boat and/or dog that wants company!

Good huntng!

I go "shit poking" no dog no boat. Hip boots, a call, about 60' of rope and a smile.

shit poking = Walk through the stuff that smells like shit and poke your head in and shoot a duck.

I'll be going duck hunting for my first time this month. I have a kayak I can use to retrieve, or I will be going with a friend who has a well trained dog. I prefer the latter after all I've researched about duck hunting.

shit poking = Walk through the stuff that smells like shit and poke your head in and shoot a duck.

We always called that either bushwackin or swamp stompin, but I guess shit poking works. Does sound a bit too close to sodomy though :)

Back
Top Bottom