• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Merrill Garland Supreme Court Nominee Megathread

Obama probably dislikes whoever the nominee is, because hes doing this knowing that person is gonna get crapped on.... lmao

Real bad news simply because I do not trust Mitch Mcconnell to stand by his word and not hold hearings and/or confirmation.

Bad news in general in what's going on with the #Drumph surging and conservatives can't understand what kind of damage they are causing. I am more disgusted by the Republicans now than I ever was. Conservatives have a great choice for a candidate and they elect to **** it up for their personal gain. We're in trouble.

This just in: GOP confirms Obama nomination in shortest review period ever, by secret room back room anonymous ballot. Garland will be seated tomorrow.

/sarc

Real bad news simply because I do not trust Mitch Mcconnell to stand by his word and not hold hearings and/or confirmation.

Bad news in general in what's going on with the #Drumph surging and conservatives can't understand what kind of damage they are causing. I am more disgusted by the Republicans now than I ever was. Conservatives have a great choice for a candidate and they elect to **** it up for their personal gain. We're in trouble.

yep

Pres. O'Loser will throw up a name ,
the senate will refuse it.
hillery wil get a ton of milage cackling about the bad republicans won't abide by the constitution ,
smoke screen for the stupid.

Merrick Garland nominated as Supreme Court Justice

Anti-Second amendment nominee...

With the republicans saying they won't confirm any nominee until the new presidency, do you think a gun sale boom is going to happen earlier or later? I'm asking for a friend...[angry]

Chuck Schumer said "if the republicans can't support this judge, who can they support?" "He is main stream middle of the road"

Anti-Second amendment nominee...

With the republicans saying they won't confirm any nominee until the new presidency, do you think a gun sale boom is going to happen earlier or later? I'm asking for a friend...[angry]

The panic has probably started already. [rolleyes] This is a bad thing because this guy will do his best to destroy what is left of our 2A rights and I don't trust the spineless R's in Congress to block Obama with anything so this guy is likely going to be confirmed before the end of summer. That is partly sarcastic but it wouldn't shock me either.

Garland is a true enemy of the 2A

JCN chief counsel Carrie Severino said in a blog post that Judge Merrick’s record on the bench since 1997 “leads to the conclusion that he would vote to reverse one of Justice Scalia’s most important opinions, D.C. vs. Heller,
Yup, really bad news if he gets in.

The Republicans in the Senate have put themselves in "no move" position. If they cave part of their base will blame them. If they move to discuss the other side of their base will blame them. No win either way. With a Trump vs Hilary ticket looking likely they're faced with the real possibility of a Hillary win and she will never propose anyone close to a moderate for the seat.

The Republicans in the Senate have put themselves in "no move" position. If they cave part of their base will blame them. If they move to discuss the other side of their base will blame them. No win either way. With a Trump vs Hilary ticket looking likely they're faced with the real possibility of a Hillary win and she will never propose anyone close to a moderate for the seat.

They better not budge. They are likely going to lose the Senate, anyway. Might as well stand up for what you believe in.

But, alas, we have spineless amoebas in leadership positions with the Repub party. Mitch the squish will likely cave in order to get a budget passed or some crap like that.

The R's are cooked. It's tough to oppose Garland's nomination when Orrin Hatch said this just last week:

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT), the longest serving Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, offered his own thoughts on who President Obama should nominate to fill the seat left open by the death of Justice Antonin Scalia last week. “
[Obama] could easily name Merrick Garland, who is a fine man,” Hatch told the conservative news site Newsmax, before adding that “he probably won’t do that because this appointment is about the election. So I’m pretty sure he’ll name someone the [liberal Democratic base] wants.”

The R's are cooked. It's tough to oppose Garland's nomination when Orrin Hatch said this just last week:

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT), the longest serving Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, offered his own thoughts on who President Obama should nominate to fill the seat left open by the death of Justice Antonin Scalia last week. “
[Obama] could easily name Merrick Garland, who is a fine man,” Hatch told the conservative news site Newsmax, before adding that “he probably won’t do that because this appointment is about the election. So I’m pretty sure he’ll name someone the [liberal Democratic base] wants.”

Super, Orin Hatch and the R's put themselves in cave mode before they nominee was even named. Way to go.

This guy is a blank page - not a whole lot of experience and what there is seems to be very tempered toward a center slightly left position.

Double edged sword - while there is nothing to say no to, there is also nothing to make you say yes either.

Agreed, but this is why you have the hearings to feel out the candidate on how they will rule from the bench. Besides, it really is a crap shoot. Just look at how much Roberts effed over the right when he upheld the ACA.

I say stall, block whatever indefinitely. We have learned that the best result we can hope for out of govt is when they don't do anything because everything they touch turns to crap. Sigh, I guess they will have to confirm someone eventually though.
This. "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."

Back
Top Bottom