The John Kelly Memorial Practical Shooting Match - PLANNING THREAD

Red dots were/are allowed in PPC. I used to shoot a red dot at the Copicut match in the late 90's. That's where I first started to compete with pistols. It got a little out of hand from there.

When I was there in 92-93 all I remember was iron sights. Funny thing is I was looking thru some old pics on my shooting bench and I found a pic from the awards party and I am sure there is a young John Kelly standing in the group photo. Will have to scan and post it to see if I am right.
Dave

If you want to narrow down the division list, I think you can't go narrower than Open, Limited, and Revolver. If you're going to add more, why not just use the USPSA divisions? The only IDPA division that gets left out is SSR and we can always make a certificate for the two guys that shoot it. [laugh]

You need a Revolver Division for the same reason you need a soul.

There are more IDPA SSR revolvers shooters showing up at action pistol matches than USPSA Revolver or IDPA ESR shooters. So much so that ICORE created Retro to attract them.

Look at it another way - join us and you 'll finish no worse than 3rd ;-)

In deference to JK: Respectfully,

Craig

Last edited:
I think PMD has hit the nail on the head (that was just for you Paul): Have two divisions centerfire Semi-auto and Revolver, and two classes Open and Iron Sights for each. It's inclusive and greatly simplifies match administration and scoring. While sub-division champions are fine - at a certain point it becomes kind of pointless unless you draw 100+ competitors. Re scoring: If you want to get trophies to a wider group of competitors score each div/class Lewis (sometimes called modified Lewis).
It works like this: Let's say there are 30 shooters in a div/class. After the match they are listed first to last. Let's say there are three trophies to be awarded per div/class. Now we divide 30 shooters by 3 throphies. Shooter 1, 11, 21 'win' they're 'group' A,B, and C respectively. The 1st place competitor always wins an award which they should - but all the other competitors still have a shot at a trophy. Everybodies in the game all the time. I think this works well for this kind of event.

You need a Revolver Division for the same reason you need a soul.

Indeed.

WHEEL
gunners are REAL gunners.

I have a gun for any division you create and plan to attend whatever the divisions are, but you should have a revolver division - preferably 6-shot, so the revo gamers don't have a 17 - 33% capacity advantage.

What we did in 2008 worked pretty well and covered just about everyhing: 5 different divisions loosely based on USPSA divisions of Open, Limited, Production (SSP in IDPA), Single Stack ( CDP(45acp) and ESP(9mm) in IDPA) and Revolver (SSR and ESR in IDPA). This didn't spread things out too far and everyone had a place to shoot and be competitive.

What we did in 2008 worked pretty well and covered just about everyhing: 5 different divisions loosely based on USPSA divisions of Open, Limited, Production (SSP in IDPA), Single Stack ( CDP(45acp) and ESP(9mm) in IDPA) and Revolver (SSR and ESR in IDPA). This didn't spread things out too far and everyone had a place to shoot and be competitive.

Why mess with something that works? Sounds good to me.

There is lots of talk, but things start to need to get specific if this is going to move from "NES discussion topic" to "match planning". The three things the project needs so this can be effectively kicked off are:

1. Venue
2. Date
3. Match Director

Once these are in place, the Match Director can start making some decisions, recruiting volunteers and assigning responsibilities.

There is lots of talk, but things start to need to get specific if this is going to move from "NES discussion topic" to "match planning". The three things the project needs so this can be effectively kicked off are:

1. Venue
2. Date
3. Match Director

Once these are in place, the Match Director can start making some decisions, recruiting volunteers and assigning responsibilities.

Rob- post #1- Dan Hurley has reserved July 31st for this event at HSC. I think John Catterall stepped up as MD... so I think we are on our way. I'm pretty sure several SO/ROs have already stepped up.

1. Venue
2. Date
3. Match Director

John Catterall is already working on this.

1. Venue
2. Date
3. Match Director

I know the answer to all three of those, and i'm on here once a week..[laugh]

1. Venue
2. Date
3. Match Director

I am doing a stage and I believe I am bringing at least 2 other ROs with me. Mooney and Cruz.... We spoke with John at BUAS

Sorry I've been away for awhile...

I spoke with Dave Bold at the Smith & Wesson IDPA Indoor Nationals and as a result of our conversation on this topic we decided on the following:

1) Date/Time: has been set - July 31, 2010 - registration will open at 9:00 AM for those who have not pre-registered; shooters meeting at 9:45 AM; first shots 10:00 AM.

2) Venue: has been set - Harvard Sportsmens Club, Harvard, MA

3) Staff: I will volunteer to be match director, Dave Bold has volunteered to be scorekeeper. Dave has both IDPA and USPSA scoring software as well as a spreadsheet that he used in the 2008 match. Everything will be scoring using the rules of USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge, and Walls of Steel. I have heard from some folks about volunteering to RO/SO - if you can help out send me an e-mail to [email protected] and if you have a preference on what discipline you would like to work on let me know. If I have enough of one discipline I will ask you to help out on another.

4) Format: Dave and I agree that there is not a lot of "cross-over" with many people shooting both IDPA and USPSA. We agree that with the good weather of July 31 (hopefully no rain or high humidity), and the number of IDPA, USPSA, and other shooters that both knew and loved John we expect a large turnout. Not to mention that with the "bragging rights" that will go along with the results of this match, as well as folks that would like to try out one of the other sports, we are going to have a good crowd. Therefore, we agreed that we will have established squads rather than open-squadding to help with the flow of the match.

5) Divisions: We will use the same format that Dave used in 2008 - Open, Limited, Production, Single Stack and Revolver. You will follow discipline rules, so, on the IDPA stages no more than 10 rounds in the magazine (+1 in the chamber). On the USPSA stages follow USPSA rules regarding magazine capacity for the division you are registered in. USPSA Limited 10 shooters can use hi-cap mags and shoot in Limited or if you only have 10 round mags you can shoot in Production. IDPA shooters, if you shoot ESP and have hi-cap mags, register in Limited or if you have only 10 round mags register in Production. IDPA SSP shooters can register in Production. Equipment rules will be relaxed so that you will be required in this match to use the same gun and the same gear for all stages.

6) Stages: Due to the anticipated large turnout we are going to drop the Stage number down from 6 to 5 and drop the PPC stage. I have heard from Wallum Lake and they are going to participate and bring to Harvard a Walls of Steel Stage. So the 5 stages will be: IDPA Indoor (no-light with us providing a flashlight - all reloads and movement between strings will be done off the clock with the lights on); IDPA Outdoor; USPSA Outdoor; Steel Challenge Outdoor; Walls of Steel Outdoor. Dropping the PPC stage will make the scoring easier as every other stage (except USPSA) will have a time-based final score. Dave can convert those to a percentage stage like USPSA and get a final match result.

7) Match Fee/Trophy/T-Shirts: We are not going to have trophies... We want as much money as possible to go to charity so we will be competing for bragging rights. At some point closer to the match I am going to create a match registration form for mail-in. If you want a match T-shirt you will have to register by mail so that we can have a count of how many T-shirts, what sizes, and we will have the money to pay for the T-shirts to have them made up and ready for distribution at the match. We agreed that the fee will be the usual $20 for the match and another $20 for the t-shirt. We aren't sure at this point the exact cost of the T-shirt but we are fairly certain it will be less than $20. Any extra $$$ in the difference between the cost of the T-shirt and the $20 collected will go to the charity. If you don't want a T-shirt, you can just pre-register with $20. If you want to shoot on a squad with some of your buddies, send in your registrations together and we will do our best to honor your requests. If you just want to show up on match day, pay $20 and shoot, we will fill you in on squads to even them out.

Charity: It is my understanding that John passed away due to a heart condition, and, we all know how great John was about helping out new shooters. So, I believe it would be appropriate to split the proceeds between the American Heart Association and to GOAL with the donations made to John's memory.

Raffle: Harvard Club President Dan Hurley has indicated on this thread that he would take care of obtaining any permits necessary to hold a raffle. If someone will step up to coordinate this to handle donations to the raffle please email me at [email protected]. If we have someone who will do it I will post it to this thread - all proceeds to go to the charity as indicated above.

Posting of the Match: When we get closer to the match I can post something on the appropriate thread(s) to announce the details.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please continue to post on this thread for discussion.

Regards,
John Catterall

Last edited:
Well Done John and Dave. John do I need to e mail or do you have me and the other 2 for a stage? Also, for those that are not shooting but would like to buy Tee Shirts, can you set up an order form also?

Thanks again

John do I need to e mail...for those that are not shooting but would like to buy Tee Shirts, can you set up an order form also?

Gary I have you and Greg penciled in for the USPSA stage... When I post the match registration I'll have an option on there for folks who want to buy extra shirts or for people who can't shoot and want to get a shirt. We can work that out, easy...

Charity: It is my understanding that John passed away due to a heart condition, and, we all know how great John was about helping out new shooters. So, I believe it would be appropriate to split the proceeds between the American Heart Association and to GOAL with the donations made to John's memory.

Match Fee/Trophy/T-Shirts: We are not going to have trophies... We want as much money as possible to go to charity so we will be competing for bragging rights. At some point closer to the match I am going to create a match registration form for mail-in. If you want a match T-shirt you will have to register by mail so that we can have a count of how many T-shirts, what sizes, and we will have the money to pay for the T-shirts to have them made up and ready for distribution at the match.

l

2 thoughts for the membership,

Did John have a family that might need the money before it goes to charity?

As a well fed shooter I would like to vote for a dark color shirt. It's slimming on me and hides dirt and grease better.

Gary I have you and Greg penciled in for the USPSA stage... When I post the match registration I'll have an option on there for folks who want to buy extra shirts or for people who can't shoot and want to get a shirt. We can work that out, easy...

Great John.... Me, Greg and Greg. Confusing I know[rolleyes]

2 thoughts for the membership,

Did John have a family that might need the money before it goes to charity?

As a well fed shooter I would like to vote for a dark color shirt. It's slimming on me and hides dirt and grease better.

John didn't have any immediate family - I believe he has a sister in Georgia... As far as the color of the T-shirt goes, I was originally thinking Kelly green but I think a lot of people would not know what color Kelly green is... I like the idea of a dark colored shirt also - it'll tend to hide the sweat better... I'm a "sweater" for sure!

John - pencil me in for whatever help you need. Or better yet - put me with Gary and the Greg's and I'll keep them in line!

Donna

You have now volunteered for the most difficult position in any match. Keeping us in line. Make sure you get a full night sleep the night before. You will have a very busy day[wink]

[devil]

Don't make me bring my whip and handcuffs [devil]

I have extra cuffs from my former life if you really want to play
AddEmoticons1195.gif

Back
Top Bottom