The goose hummock refused to transfer an SKS to me. That and the rifle.

So I ordered one of these: SKS For Sale Chinese Military Type 56 Rifle 340+ Reviews on Monday. Went to my local FFL on Tuesday after work to arrange the transfer. The kid I dealt with handled it promptly and no more than a couple hours later, I got a confirmation from classic saying that they got the FFL and were processing the order. Next day I get a shipping confirmation. Fast forward to today and I get a call from the FFL, im like "Awesome, I can go pick up my gun on the way home!". Not so much. The guy on the phone told me that his boss told him to call me because "the gun is illegal". [shocked] I go "What? No its not. Its an SKS. It has a fixed stock and a fixed 10 round mag. How did you come to the conclusion that it's illegal?" The guy mumbles something about just following orders and told me to stop by tomorrow when his boss is in. WTF?

I'll add that I bought an M1 Carbine from this very dealer from the very boss in question not more than a month ago. The carbine is ostensibly the same thing but accepts evil detachable box mags... AAAAAND... DUN DUN DUN... A friend of mine bought a Chinese SKS from them several months back.

[banghead]

No, I will not out the dealer... Unless for some reason I don't take my rifle home tomorrow, in which case its fair game.

I was told the same story by a local FFl. It is an assault weapon to him. Ignorance is its own punishment.

Was it an FFL that you usually deal with?

Did you check with them before you placed the order to see if they'd handle the transfer?

Was it an FFL that you usually deal with?

Did you check with them before you placed the order to see if they'd handle the transfer?

this.

If you bought it and sent it "blind" to them and they bounced it that's one thing.

If they said they'd do it and then they reneged on it, whole different story, now they've just wasted a shitload of your
time and possibly money (because of the bounce etc and whether or not you have to eat that gun or can get it refunded etc. )

-Mike

There seems to be some confusion with the dealer. I had this same confusion before as well. On the "banned assault weapons" lists they specifically name Type 56. I asked that question here since I used to have a Norinco Type 56 SKS. The Type 56 that the AWB refers to is an AK variant. SKS is legal.

the term assault weapon shall not include:

(vi) any semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition
G.L. c. 140 section 121

Last edited:
That's pretty bad that there are dealers who think a SKS is an "assault weapon"[hmmm]

Then again this state is filled with dealers that also believed that "The new Ruger MK(whatever) is now magically non compliant just because the distributor and ruger said so" [rofl]

There seems to be some confusion with the dealer. I had this same confusion before as well. On the "banned assault weapons" lists they specifically name Type 56. I asked that question here since I used to have a Norinco Type 56 SKS. The Type 56 that the AWB refers to is an AK variant. SKS is legal.
What “banned assault weapons list” are you referring too?

What “banned assault weapons list” are you referring too?
I'm familiar with this one, no Type 56 on there though, and certainly no SKS

(i) Avtomat Kalashnikov (AK) (all models); (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; (iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70); (iv) Colt AR-15; (v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR and FNC; (vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9 and M-12; (vii) Steyr AUG; (viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and (ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as, or similar to, the Street Sweeper and Striker 12

For the guys who asked if I arranged it first. Yes, I did: "Went to my local FFL on Tuesday after work to arrange the transfer. The kid I dealt with handled it promptly and no more than a couple hours later, I got a confirmation from classic saying that they got the FFL and were processing the order." That kid behind the counter was given a copy of the email from Classic to me. Stated plainly what the rifle is.

And for everyone wanting me to out the dealer, I will say this, I am going to go in there tomorrow with a full copy of the assault weapon ban and a copy of the list of specifically named banned firearms. I'll even bring my buddy in tow with his SKS and the FA10 for it. If "the boss" we'll call him for now refuses to accept reality, I will have him send the gun to an FFL I know will transfer it, then promptly get on here and you guys will get the full scoop on what store it is and who is involved with this nonsense.

There still exists the possibility that this is some sort of misunderstanding/ honest mistake and I'll get the gun. If thats the case, then there would be no reason to bring undue attention to them when this situation was not based on malice or idiocy.

Not one of my guys here at the Mill. They have their shit together and have no "store clerks". Jack.
Good point. Why not just use one of Jack’s tenants. I’ve dealt with two of them and both are awesome guys.

I don’t live in MA anymore but i boughtvas much as I could through his tenants. Most of them are in it for fun and anything you can do to relive the cost of their fun is a good thing. Cause you get fun too.

Forget even trying to do business with this shop. Just transfer to a dealer who will take it. Lord knows how they’ll try to screw you in the future for calling them out on this.

For the guys who asked if I arranged it first. Yes, I did: "Went to my local FFL on Tuesday after work to arrange the transfer. The kid I dealt with handled it promptly and no more than a couple hours later, I got a confirmation from classic saying that they got the FFL and were processing the order." That kid behind the counter was given a copy of the email from Classic to me. Stated plainly what the rifle is.

And for everyone wanting me to out the dealer, I will say this, I am going to go in there tomorrow with a full copy of the assault weapon ban and a copy of the list of specifically named banned firearms. I'll even bring my buddy in tow with his SKS and the FA10 for it. If "the boss" we'll call him for now refuses to accept reality, I will have him send the gun to an FFL I know will transfer it, then promptly get on here and you guys will get the full scoop on what store it is and who is involved with this nonsense.

There still exists the possibility that this is some sort of misunderstanding/ honest mistake and I'll get the gun. If thats the case, then there would be no reason to bring undue attention to them when this situation was not based on malice or idiocy.

It's bullshit that they reneged after you went there in person and had them agree to do the transfer in the first place. Out the shit out of them if they continue to refuse to do the transfer.

Yep. FFL calls shipping FFL and says "I'm shipping this back", tells confused buyer, calls shipping FFL 2 Days later and says "Check is in the mail..."

$350 dollar gun is now $500...

Back
Top Bottom