The Five NEVERS of Self-Defense

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
I am neither speaking for nor against what follows, merely posting it for discussion's sake. It comes from Looserounds.com and is wholely the thoughts of the author.

By Kevin O’Brien

"There are some things you must never do when confronted with an armed assailant. We mean never, ever, not because these events never end well, but because they usually don’t, and because violating these hard and fast rules takes the agency of your survival out of your own hands. You owe it to Adam and Eve and all the rest of your bloodline to preserve your life."

I am neither speaking for nor against what follows, merely posting it for discussion's sake. It comes from Looserounds.com and is wholely the thoughts of the author.

By Kevin O’Brien

"There are some things you must never do when confronted with an armed assailant. We mean never, ever, not because these events never end well, but because they usually don’t, and because violating these hard and fast rules takes the agency of your survival out of your own hands. You owe it to Adam and Eve and all the rest of your bloodline to preserve your life."

most people are sheep and give up before even there is a need to give up, they simply see the threat and submit to their fate.
usually the same exact minds that demand all around them to be disarmed and 'prohibited' from owning dangerous things. i just see in that a reminiscent of a masochistic church infused teachings of turning cheeks and overall repressive enforcement of submissive behaviours since they were born.
anything other than that - i mean non-submissive responses to anything - infuriates them and makes them quite rabid.

of all such articles i always recall an old saying - wise people never put themselves into situations the smart people easily find a solution for.
situation awareness is #0. if properly used, no need for all other 5.

After reading it again, I was curious about the author. This is what I found:

REMEMBERING KEVIN O’BRIEN​

Never give up!!!
a stainless steel insole plate boot makes wonders when you kick a stupid a**h*** under his knee cap. saved my ass more than a couple times when i was a student.
the rule #1 - no one wants to deal with too much hassle. show it you are ready to go all the way and you will be left alone.
unless, of course, it is a a more then a 3:1 configuration you allowed yourself to be dragged in, then, well, tough luck.

of all such articles i always recall an old saying - wise people never put themselves into situations the smart people easily find a solution for.

Situational awareness is a funny thing. You can't be in condition yellow all the time. Sometimes things just happen. Example for me was me walking from the grocery store to my car in the parking lot. As I was walking a guy came out from behind two cars on my right. He yelled "HEY" really loud and he was only 4-5 feet away from me. Never saw him until he popped out from between the cars. For a second or two I froze staring at him. Come to find out he was yell hello to a guy that was across the parking lot behind me and to my left. He actually apologized for startling me. Knew then that situational awareness can be shite at times and things happen.

I found it interesting that he mentioned "The Onion Field" incident. Joseph Wambaugh wrote a non fiction book about the incident. One of the conclusions was that police officers should NEVER give up their weapons. It all went downhill from there when the two detectives made a "routine" stop to check out what were up until then a couple of low level criminals.

The other points are also good. Because I get bored easily, I spend time when I'm somewhere waiting going through various scenarios in my head. "What would I do if..." which requires looking around for escape routes, where to sit so I can keep an eye on the door and the other people there. I look at people as they come in and try to figure out if they're carrying (most aren't) or planning to cause trouble.

Yeah, I know I'm weird. It might explain why even cops sometimes think I'm a cop.

I always tell my kids that in a situation like the ones described always act, make a decision, right or wrong but do something. Most bad guys will expect people just to submit but that is the wrong choice. When my daughter was an RA in college they had to do group meetings so my daughter talked with the local police and they would send in self defense experts( and spring for pizza) to teach the young women how to defend themselves in a violent situation and to the cops credit they never said just to acquiesce , they said always fight back.

Would have to agree with those 5. Never give up your gun would be #1 for me!

yeah I don’t get that in movies. Guy has a gun to your wife, your gun is on him. He pulls the trigger he and your wife die. Only a crazy guy would make that choice. Do you want to give up your gun to a crazy guy?

• #2: NEVER give up your gun. This standard Hollywood trope, where the hero gives up his gun because the villain is threatening Sweet Polly Purebred or whomever, and then manages to free them both through some brilliant stratagem, only works in the hands of a trained and certified member of the Writers’ Guild. Don’t let him have your gun: just “Let him have it.”
This list is terrible. Shoot the hostage to eliminate the threat and to assert your own dominance on the "who's crazier?" scale.

Although this really isnt an SA thing its related.

Avoid doing Stupid things in Stupid places with Stupid people. Usually when you see some news thing involving some poor bastard that didn't need to die, he or she was violating any
of these, although more commonly it is all 3 at once. Often times avoiding at least ONE of those characteristics and drastically lower risk.

Because I get bored easily, I spend time when I'm somewhere waiting going through various scenarios in my head. "What would I do if..." which requires looking around for escape routes, where to sit so I can keep an eye on the door and the other people there.
That's the basis of Feng Shui.

yeah I don’t get that in movies. Guy has a gun to your wife, your gun is on him. ...

My son, who has trained with pro MMA fighters, says the best lesson he learned is, "The best fighting equipment is a well-tied pair of running shoes."
I recently saw a video of a retired Seal saying basically the same thing. The very best self defense is to avoid the fight. Until you CAN'T run away and have to fight. This goes as much for retarded road rage or bar fight situations as much as it goes for "the zodiac killer is trying to kill you" situations. Road rage/bar fights, who cares if everyone there thinks you're a pussy for running away? It's not important to prove how tough you are to some hardo stranger. What if you kick his ass and he hits his head and dies? What if he catches you on the button and you hit your head and die/or spend the rest of your life talking like you have a mouth full of syrup? Let the high school kids have the fist fights. Way too much to lose as an adult if something f***ed up happens.

I recently saw a video of a retired Seal saying basically the same thing. The very best self defense is to avoid the fight. Until you CAN'T run away and have to fight. This goes as much for retarded road rage or bar fight situations as much as it goes for "the zodiac killer is trying to kill you" situations. Road rage/bar fights, who cares if everyone there thinks you're a pussy for running away? It's not important to prove how tough you are to some hardo stranger. What if you kick his ass and he hits his head and dies? What if he catches you on the button and you hit your head and die/or spend the rest of your life talking like you have a mouth full of syrup? Let the high school kids have the fist fights. Way too much to lose as an adult if something f***ed up happens.
This can't be said enough.

Sun Tzu said:
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.

Back
Top Bottom