The fear

blindndead

NES Member
A few Day's ago I wanted to see what it was like to carry My Glock 22. I have a restricted Class A so carrying for me is out of the question, this was just a test around the house to get a feel of carrying. I had the gun in a holster inside the pants on my waist And the only thing I could think of was this firearm going off wile I was doing some light work around the house. Is this a natural feel of someone's first time carrying? Wile Glock has no external safety's it made me a little fearful at first. After a hour or so it was like the gun was not even there. Any comments?

Carrying

First you need a good holster. Biggest fear people have with a striker type weapon is getting your shirt in the holster. It might get caught in the trigger guard and set the gun off. Make sure the holster is the length of the barrel and you are all set.

Also, you need to be confident in the operation of the weapon. Need to train with the carry weapon. Range time should include the carry weapon and holster. Shoot from the draw.

Once your comfortable with your equipment and comfortable carrying, it all becomes part of the wardrobe. Like clipping on a cell phone.

I don't know if it's natural. I never went through it when I started carrying but I also went through USMC training before being issued a M9 and by the time I was carrying it I knew what it took to make it go BOOM. I don't think there is anything wrong with what you felt. Time with a weapon and shooting a weapon will ease your fear. I would not be concerned that it will go off from physical work. Remember there are LEO's and .Mil guys who carry them daily, run, jump, climb, and wrestle with them on and they don't go POP.

You have more to fear of the Glock blowing up in your hand when you are shooting it than it going boom in your holster. [smile]

To all you Glock lovers that last line was a joke . [wink]

Last edited:
If you're worried about it (which is very natural) I would carry it around the house with a loaded mag but only a snap cap in the chamber. This way you can get comfortable that the striker will not malfunction and fall on a loaded round. I've owned 8 different GLOCKs and have always carried them with one in the chamber. The important thing to do before you start doing this is to make sure your trigger bar is engaging your striker tang enough. This can be done by using a GLOCK armorers back plate or buying a regular back plate and cutting it in half. Doing this will allow you to see striker engagement. Once you know everything is okay, chamber a round and enjoy!

I would say the feeling is normal, especially with something
that doesn't have a safety or has a light trigger pull. When I
carried my G19 for the first time, I treated it a little
gingerly, to put it mildly.

At first I only got nervous when holstering, but otherwise I knew
that the gun will only fire if something presses the trigger hard
enough. That's the recurring theme in most gun negligence-
someones trigger finger was someplace it wasn't supposed to
be or they allowed something foreign to enter the trigger
guard.

A quality holster also helps confidence.... get one and test it
with an UNLOADED gun (check it two, three times if you
have to) and see how it holds the gun, protects the trigger guard,
etc. Practice holstering and reholstering, etc. Never
reholster "blind" and observe the gun going in the holster, etc.
Then once you are confident enough in your unloaded handling
then you can go to the range and practice shooting from draw,
etc. I know a lot of this sounds like common sense but it bears
repeating.

Trigger finger discipline (eg, keeping the finger indexed along the
frame, etc, out of the trigger guard when not shooting) is
important as well. If you get your safety down to a refined set
of ingrained procedures, being able to carry with confidence is
a whole lot easier.

-Mike

I think its natural to be nervous first time you carry, either around the house or in public. That said, carry the gun empty but cocked, see if it ever dry fires while holstered. It sounds like you got used to it pretty quick, it took me longer to get used to the gun, but I didn't have a great belt/holster at the time.

On the topic of holsters: get a good one and a good belt to carry it on. I recomend one that covers the entire barrel/slide, so when you holster after ripping off 2 mags you don't burn your hip.

AE

I currently carry a Glock 19 and have absolutely no worries about it. Of course I routinely carried a Series 70 Commander cocked and locked for about 30 years before that, so I pretty much had it down pat by then. Personally, I worry about people who start carrying and don't have any concerns. It says something wrong to me about their attitude. Since it's new you don't have all the things that you should be doing solidly imprinted in your brain to the point that they're as automatic as putting on your pants in the morning. When that happens, you can stop worrying. Until then, keep it up; you're doing it right.

Ken

When I started CCW back in 1976, all my guns had manual safeties.

Only when clearing my OMC Backup, verified it was empty, mag removed, etc. put safety on and pulled the trigger. When it went "click" anyway, I started to get nervous about carrying it (after it was sent back for repair) . . . what if I slipped on ice (Downtown Boston was my major haunts to carry concealed) and fell on it, etc. Bought a PPK/s which replaced the OMC Backup and never worried about it again (nature of safety inspired a lot more confidence).

Own two Glocks now, have holsters for them, but have not CCW'd them yet (2 years since I bought the first one). 1911 is my CCW of preference and there have been a few times that I've caught some shirt heading into the holsters. [Derek, unlike military dress/carrying a sidearm (or uniformed LEO), civilian CCW has many more opportunities for clothing to get into a holster . . . eternal vigilance is required.]

I did a lot of reading before I started CCW about a year ago. One line that stuck out for me was when you first start carrying you feel like a gun carrying a person, not a person carrying a gun. Very true.

I agree with Ken, it is better to be nervous than nonchalant (I know I didn't spell that right). I kind of wish that feeling/awareness always stayed at that level. Once you get used to it IS too easy to forget about it.

Rest assured though, that a properly functioning, quality firearm will not go bang without the trigger being pulled. Keep it holstered with trigger guard completely covered at all times and you should have no worries.

Rest assured though, that a properly functioning, quality firearm will not go bang without the trigger being pulled. Keep it holstered with trigger guard completely covered at all times and you should have no worries.

I believe the most important thing is making sure the gun is properly functioning and understanding how the firearm works. Once this is done, get a quality holster and carry away.

And the only thing I could think of was this firearm going off wile I was doing some light work around the house. Is this a natural feel of someone's first time carrying?
Only for Glock owners. [wink]

Seriously, my biggest fear is of printing - I never worried about my Para P10 or P12 going off. Of course, they're double-stack 1911's... with an external safety. But I still carried them in condition 1 - cocked and locked.
I agree with Ken, it is better to be nervous than nonchalant (I know I didn't spell that right).
O ye of little faith. Actually, you did spell it right.

Good poster; have a biscuit. [smile]

The rest of you, take note.

Thank you all for the great reply's. Like I said I am restricted to carry in Fall River my day's for carrying a firearm are slim to none in this city. When I renew in 2012 What are some of the step's I can do to upgrade my class A, if any? Move to a geen town, talk to a lawyer?

i actually (because i also have a restricted lic) carry around the house and yard.

I was first uncomfortable, just because of that "what if" fear.

To get over it, i simply carried with the safety on, loaded mag and NO round in the chamber. now that I am comfortable with my firearms, that fear has gone away... altough I do feel naked when im out and only carrying my knife [thinking]

I figured, if need be, it was easy enough to chamber a round and a hell of a lot quicker then running to the safe to get it.

When I renew in 2012 What are some of the step's I can do to upgrade my class A, if any? Move to a geen town, talk to a lawyer?

Move ten seconds east to Westport, they issue ALP without any trouble. It's almost like the chief believes that concealed carry is your right. Fall River is a Hole anyway, and it doesn't look like it's getting any better.

i actually (because i also have a restricted lic) carry around the house and yard.

Last Sunday I was in a Wendy's in Brockton, thinking of you. I was discussing, with Mrs Pilgrim, the Brockton 'law' that only bad guys can carry guns there. It's insane that a place with as much crime as that city will not allow you to protect yourself.

Of course, I don't live in Brockton, so I was packing. [smile]

Move ten seconds east to Westport, they issue ALP without any trouble. It's almost like the chief believes that concealed carry is your right. Fall River is a Hole anyway, and it doesn't look like it's getting any better.

That has crossed my mind a few times. If I come across the right price I am gone. That might be my best bet rather than trying to get Fall River to give me a upgrade..

That has crossed my mind a few times. If I come across the right price I am gone. That might be my best bet rather than trying to get Fall River to give me a upgrade..

It is exactly what I did, that is why I'm comfortable recommending it. I lived in Fall River, in the same house for my entire life. I was tired of watching my neighborhood collapse around me, found a nice little house for the right price at the right time in Westport and bailed. Best decision I've made, for me, my wife, and my kids. Sure there are some good areas in Fall River, but coupled with the politics Westport was the better choice. Thought about Somerset but prices are way inflated on that side of the river. Best of luck to you.
-Rick

The funny thing is when I asked the licensing officer about getting restrictions removed, when I take the test to become an Environmental Police Officer, he said that wouldn't be an issue. He also told me that I wouldn't have to pay another $100.[hmmm]
Plus you know I'm not crazy about Westport, my brother lives there.

Last edited:
The funny thing is when I asked the licensing officer about getting restrictions removed, when I take the test to become an Environmental Police Officer, he said that wouldn't be an issue. He also told me that I wouldn't have to pay another $100.[hmmm]
Plus you know I'm not crazy about Westport, my brother lives there.

You make it sound like I want to move right next to your brothers house. or should I say your parent's house. You do know how big Westport is right??

You make it sound like I want to move right next to your brothers house. or should I say your parent's house. You do know how big Westport is right??

Yes I know how big it is, the only way I'll move to Westport is if we move to the side where you have to go through RI to get to it...[smile]

Back
Top Bottom