the butt out tool yah or nah ?

What does splitting the rib cage have to do with mounting it?.........

If you split the rib cage you are cutting too high into the animal where it shows on the mount. If you skin it first you can do it, but it's not worth the effort if you are saving it for a mount. Just get your elbows bloody and save the hide.

What does splitting the rib cage have to do with mounting it? Also if you don't split the pelvis how do you remove the bladder?

Dhuze answered the first. I have also found that after dragging a deer with a split brisket you will find more woods debris in the cavity than if you don't split it.

I just reach in and remove the bladder if it is still in there. I cut around the anus and urethra before I open up the deer and usually it comes out with the rest of the intestines. Sometimes on a buck it stays in the pelvis. When it does I just reach in and remove it. You will feel it if it is in there.

Bob

Dhuze answered the first. I have also found that after dragging a deer with a split brisket you will find more woods debris in the cavity than if you don't split it.

I just reach in and remove the bladder if it is still in there. I cut around the anus and urethra before I open up the deer and usually it comes out with the rest of the intestines. Sometimes on a buck it stays in the pelvis. When it does I just reach in and remove it. You will feel it if it is in there.

Bob

I've always split the rib cage, and I've never been told I needed a new cape when doing a mount. The reason I say this is because the only time I spit the rib cage is because I got a big buck and am going to hang it for some time, in which case you want split the cage.

Also there is no need to run that cut past the shoulders.

Last edited:
I hunt urban deer in CT...kill a lot of them, and gut most of them for me, my dad and my friend. Probably gut 8-10 deer a year. First step for me in gutting is to stick the butt out up the ass and get the canal out. Then I gut.....

The butt out works great....only a few times did it give me issues.....mainly when I was trying to pull too fast. You gotta stick it in deep..twist, make sure it grabs and use a slow pulling tug action. Pulling too hard will make the intestine break. I do cut around the anus at times, but the butt out is way quicker and cleaner.

If you have a deer that's cold or been sitting a while, I'd say the butt out probably won't work very well. Everything needs to be warm and loose to work.

There is no need for saws, zip ties, and any of that bs......the only time I saw a deer is when it's a big deer over 150 pounds dressed and its' warm out, so i can really spread the hams and get ice in them so they don't bone sour.

Back
Top Bottom